Why haven't we done this with Hammill?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Spuggy, May 22, 2018.

1. Pon

Pontered Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This maybe one of the reasons Hammill didn’t get many assists. We had no strikers who could score for 75% of the season! 6th in the whole championship for shots taken!

Attached Files:

2. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    This concept of assists is a bizarre measure of a footballer's ability. It's rating a player based on the performance, or lack of performance, of other players in the team. If we had Adam Hammill taking all set pieces for an entire season, but the other 10 players in the side were all 4 year old toddlers, we would never score a single goal regardless of the number of chances created.

It's grossly unfair to criticise one of our better players over the season because of the deficiencies of others. Very unfair indeed.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    And thats not to mention all the "assists" that should have been but weren't - the best example being the tap in he gave to Moore at Leeds.
    There is only so much you can do if your strikers are in the Cows arse banjo class.
    Someone posted on here that Hammil had set up more chances than anyone else in the team - I dont know where the stat came from though so cant be certain its true

4. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the stats I posted it said he made just under 2 key passes per game. I don't know where that sits when compared to other wingers etc. but agree you could be teeing them up every couple of mins- not your fault if the strikers repeatedly blaze them over.

5. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If that's true then I don't think there will be many players with higher key passes than Hammill, Ruben Neves (one of the best, if not THEE best, players in the league) averages 0.9 Key passes, De Bruyne manages around 2.5 key passes, and that's in a side with all that attacking prowess and talent, who dominate teams. Hammill's assist stats should not reflect his performances this season.

BobT and TitusMagee like this.