Why relegation may not be quite so bad

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Archerfield, May 9, 2018.

1. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Looking back on last year the highs were pretty few and far between. An interesting article from the perspective of a Boro fan looking back on the last two seasons covering relegation and a year in the championship may give some insight.

So long as we aren't at risk of going bust, hopefully not with the new owners, we may even enjoy the 'ale house' league. Then again..................

http://www.football365.com/news/stop-fretting-about-relegation-instead-embrace-it

2. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Echoes my thoughts exactly.

The problem is if we do a Portsmouth/Luton/Stockport/Yeovil/A.N.Other and drop straight through to League 2.

I've no reason to believe we will though.

3. robert.hall.545849

robert.hall.545849 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s absolutely nothing good about relegation , nothing !

4. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought that article was fantastic and absolutley spot on. Yes id love to still be in the championship but only with a good squad and a plan we were sticking to and year on year was gradually improving the club and results, but we havent. Next year would just be as tedious and soul destroying as last should we be in the championship with the same scenario. League 1 wont be a cake walk by any means but weve got to have a better chance of winning a few, especially for the die hards that go home and away every week. I keep hearing league 1 called the 'pub league', how disrespectful is that, we suddenly turn into wednesday when we go down, operation walk the league and all that. Surely beating a Rochdale is still better than getting pummeled by Derby. At least for a couple of seasons hopefully. The article.is dead right about the premiership though, most teams are so paralysed by the fear of going down, they just play for draws, until 5 games from the end, its ****.

5. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Some of those clubs had real financial problems though to be fair and I'd say Yeovil is a lower league club anyway.

6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    For you perhaps. While i am gutted we went down I can find some positives. I can see where the article is coming from. Even if we finish mid table we are likely to win double the amount of games we have this season. So I'm more likely to go home happy.
    Tickets for away games will be cheaper, and we might even win some of those.
    Really from the fans point of view going down a league doesn't make a lot of difference. Well it doesn't to me anyway. Turn up, watch a game of football. Hope we win.

ScubaTyke, occook, JLWBigLil and 2 others like this.
  7. fit

I'm with you mate. The downer of relegation has gone for me. I'm looking forward to a fresh start and to seeing how the fixtures pan out.

ScubaTyke, Redstone and JLWBigLil like this.
  8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I cant agree with that statement. Relegation is bad in many ways but to say there isn't a single positive isn't correct. Which season did you enjoy most the 2013/14 relegation season or the 2015-16 promotion season
    True we will be playing in a lower standard division but the up side of that is we might actually win some games
    We will be a big side in the league maybe we will get a bit more help from the ref - something we have been definitely on the wrong end of more often than not this season. Ticket prices will be generally lower, and those of us who prefer to stand will be able to do that at a few away grounds next season.
    Of course it could all be bad if we perform like we did after our relegation in 2002 but I am hopeful we will win at least a few more games this time

Redstone likes this.
  9. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can’t see any positives myself unless we are at the top all season tanking the opposition, if we aren’t we’ll see the worst side of our fans , indifference, no atmosphere 200 away fans . You must agree that the atmosphere in the last games of the season , particularly away has been top notch , give me that and Championship survival any day over League 1.

10. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same here, I'm already looking forward to the new season. I just hope we stick with the policy of giving younger lads a chance and don't rely on journeymen, albeit I do think we've got the balance wrong in recent years and think we still need a couple of older heads in there especially in midfield.

11. robert.hall.545849

robert.hall.545849 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d prefer winning games in the championship but some folk think we’re not capable of doing that . With the current squad they’d be right too , but there’s no reason to not show some ambition now with the resources available . Some folk think “ well , we’re only little Barnsley “ so the ambition is to muddle along having our belly tickled by clubs imo inferior to ours . We’ll no doubt see which direction we’re heading in with the new appointment .

Bleedng Red likes this.
  12. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of the most memorable times I've had watching Barnsley was the last promotion campaign.
    Let's go do it again then come up with momentum and money behind us and repeat it in the Championship.

Redstone likes this.
  13. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Id prefer winning games in the Championship too but as you say we don't have a side good enough at the moment. Id have preferred to rebuild in the championship next season but last time we rebuilt in League 1 it turned out OK to begin with. Hopefully if we can do it again this time we can handle things better and not sell the core of the team in one go.

14. fit

Agreed. Our way of doing things is very age specific.

15. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Had we stayed up people would be calling for a dozen new players to stay up next year. This gives us chance to stagger our recruitment, hopefully meaning we can have time to settle some players in, and have a better 2019/20.

fitzytyke2 likes this.