why?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by North Yorks Red, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nope, if I heard someone chanting homosexual things against a player I would call them out on it (I have done to racist chanters before), if they then said 'it's alright, I'm a catholic' I wouldn't tell them to just crack on then and suddenly it's acceptable.

2. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which is why that 8% is there...

Its completly mental to suggest that 100% of folk will be happy over something that is still taboo in a number of communities.

3. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My other thought was

wonder what the response would have been if the question had been 'what would your reaction be if your team signed a gay striker who averages 30/40 goals a season, every season?'

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't be much room in there then.....

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a bit racist....

6. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In that 8% will be gay men and women who may be appalled at the whole notion of gay people having to or choosing to 'come out.' They may think that a person's sexuality is their own business.
    They would not be happy with a gay player who saw it his/her role to publicise his sexuality and imply that all gays should do the same.

The whole survey is bonkers - would we have a survey here asking if we would be happy if we had a gay BBser posting messages?
    No, we wouldn't because it's meaningless - as meaningless as the gay player survey.

7. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because football fans are a cross section of society. If you're highlighting football alone then that's wrong. If you're highlighting discrimination in this day and age then that view is also wrong

8. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why should any player who just happens to be gay have to come out and publicly admit to being so? Surely anyone's sexuality should be a purely private matter and not open to discussion.

And as for that 8% who would not return to football because of this. Good riddance you will not be missed.

9. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nobody is expecting one to sell their 'coming out' story to a newspaper for a front page thread. Things have thankfully moved on a lot since guys like Stephen Gateley did that and others after him.

It's just sad that football players feel the need to hide their sexuality from the public when it doesn't matter to the majority of people. We can name plenty of gay singers, actors etc and nobody bats an eyelid. That's how it should be but until someone within the profession makes it known football will continue to live in the dark ages when massive progress has been made on the subject in other entertainment areas.

10. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That doesn't make sense, the question didn't ask if they thought that the gay person should display themselves as a role model, it just said 'would you stop watching your team if your club played a gay player?' and 8% said yes. I fail to see why any gay person would answer yes to that question on its own. I also think that some of that 8% are lying and wouldn't stop watching the team as that is a very extreme response and I think would depend very much on how good said player was.

11. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I get what you are saying mate. Maybe through time things may change in time. The thing is mate do you know if you work alongside someone who is gay? There is no law to make any of your work mates "come out". What actual difference does it make?
    I've got to say though where I worked it was common knowledge of a few gay females and no one bothered but I must admit there was no admission of being gay by any male worker in the factory. There were suspicions but no admissions. Does this reflect what goes on in football?

12. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In teaching there was a gay female IT technician who didn't 'come out' until she left and then told us at her leaving do. Everyone presumed but never said anything about it to her as why would we? It's her business. She obviously felt the need to 'admit' to it afterwards though so I guess she may have felt repressed and like she shouldn't say anything before otherwise why tell us on the day most of us won't see her again? There's a fair few suspicions of some gay males in the school too and another female but none have ever said either way just use words like 'partner' in any conversation around home life or are single. I'm pretty certain no-one would judge (at least openly) either way but it's never been said. I also don't understand why there are rumours about them in the first place, everytime someone said to me 'do you think so-and-so is gay?' I'd just reply with something along the lines of I don't know and I don't care but they would follow up with 'ooh you must have noticed blah' or 'what about when they said so-and-so'. I think people just like a bit of gossip, once they know someone is openly gay they don't mention it again.

13. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    To be honest, with some of the bigoted bile I see on social media I'm surprised it's only 8%

14. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know a few gay guys out openly. Doesn't seem to bother anyone I know that also knows them. Just like anyone else you treat them as you'd expect others to treat you back. It would only take one big name football player to let the world know they are gay (could be simple everyday couple type actions like kissing on holiday for example no need for magazine deal) and I think we'd see a domino effect and then majority of football fans will quickly move on and care about the most important thing which is how well that player is doing for the team. Until that day sadly gossip and these silly polls will continue. I've seen a few BBC3 documentaries the daughter of John Fashanu has done which have highlighted what happened to her Uncle Justin. Well worth a watch if they are still online somewhere to view.

15. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe it is football which has the problem. Wasn't boy George a boxer? And that boxing promoter who has "come out" and even appeared on Mastermind dressed in a skirt and high heels. Looked horrendous but hey ho! And wasn't there recently a rugby player "come out"?
    Suppose it really is up to the individuals whether they wish to "come out" and face perhaps a lot of unwanted and undeserved grief from narrow minded people.

BTW was Jimmy Hill a P oof? Thousands of Scots seemed to think so. LOL

16. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...gay-Premier-League-stars-afraid-come-out.html

Stories from the summer that this following summer a couple of well known football players were planning to come out, but those press stories seem to have cooled. Frank Mahoney was extremely brave. Total sex change takes a lot of guts. Read about being worried watching Millwall play live again after the sex change but home fans sang Kellie Mahoney she's one of our own. For all the faults that club has they definiately look out for their fellow supporters.

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why is that OK though?

Scenario one:
    Person one: Why are you homophobic?
    Person two: because my dad told me that Beng gay is wrong and we should hate hate
    Person one: wtf? Get your own mind and move out of the dark ages you narrow minded bigot.

Scenario two:
    person one: why are you homophobic
    Person two: because a book told me that gays are evil and we should hate them.
    Person one: fair enough

It is totally sick that in the 21st century with all the evidence of science and knowledge of the world that we have that it is socially acceptable to hold disgusting bigoted beliefs and opinions simply because a book written god knows when by God knows who tells them to.

It's even sicker that it is social acceptable to hold those views when the book in question is written in English but we are disgusted if a book written in Arabic says the same thing.

18. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where did i suggest it was okay? All i have done is point out that there areas in society whos beliefs regardless of how WE see them still have homosexuality as a sin,a crime,a taboo subject etc.

And youve got your books and disgusts the wrong way around. Seems more folk these days get offended how a christan sees homosexuality than a muslim. The farce in northern ireland is a prime example. But thats a seperate topic.

19. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tolerance and respect has to come from all sides.

If a muslim, christian does not accept a gay person, then they deserve no respect for their own beliefs & practices.

There will always be some bigoted, brain washed individuals who use their belief system to hate others, but they have
    to be made to understand that they are considered misguided by the majority of people.

20. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Catholic Church has no problem with the acceptance of a homosexual man or woman. I think it's the same with Islam. The difficulty for homosexuals who are either Catholic or Muslim is that homosexual behaviour/practice is forbidden. Am not sure but I think the same applies in the Church of England.