Wigan fans View on the Appeal

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by andytyke, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    But if Charlton had finished third bottom it would have been their fault likewise Luton or Brum
    They really are bitter and twisted and if it were reversed with them finishing third bottom and any other team relegated for same reason and it saved them do they really expect anybody to believe they’d feel any different to us ?
    They went into administration end of story imo otherwise EFL will be inundated with special circumstances every time they had a case .
    The only person responsible for this is their former owners I for one don’t feel guilty whatsoever and neither would they .

2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After having a few days to digest it. I think the appeal is to try and drum up bids for the club. I reckon the bidder pulled out because they think Wigan will lose their appeal.

Merde Tete and dreamboy3000 like this.
  3. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is how I see it. You don’t necessarily have to miss payments to enter into admin. You go into admin because you can’t possibly pay. The punishment for this being 12 points. If what wigan fans were saying was true, all clubs would enter admin early before not paying creditors and clear their debts. (Without Punishment)Then you get deducted more points if you don’t agree the Exit correctly

that for me is another reason not to overturn the Original points deduction. What would happen if their appeal was successful and the 12 points reinstated then after August 4th they didn’t agree an AVI or whatever it is. They would then be deducted points for that but cleared of the original, lol can’t happen

4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think what they are saying is normally you go into administration because a creditor forces you to, but they went in before missing any payments. So saying their admin is different to others.

5. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect it’s Conways letter driving the resentment, probably think if he hadn’t written to the EFL about FFP they would have been let off, ut instead made a scapegoat.

6. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And quite right he was to make a fuss

7. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can’t see why they’re so vicious about us. We haven’t caused their problems.

SFOTyke and Stephen Dawson like this.
  8. andytyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think they read some comments on our board about them overspending to be honest

Austiniho and Stephen Dawson like this.
  9. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a simple fact of life.

People in the wrong who wont admit it, will always rewrite history and spill bile to everyone and anyone else but themselves.

10. Mjt

Mjt618 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wigan have been “INSOLVANT” since the parachute money dried up!

The published 2018/19 Accounts show a £9M+ PRE-TAX LOSS.

Turnover excluding player trading was £11.5M, with a wage bill alone of £19M

They sold Will Grigg for £4M and Dan Burn for £3M - £7M included within their last set of accounts and still made losses of over £9M.

2019/20 – They have sold no players for any significant transfer fees, excluding the last few days, yet they bought Kieffer Moore from us for circa £2.5M, Jamal Lowe for £3M plus one or two others. I would take an educated guess, that this year’s wage-roll is closer to £20M if not more, with a turnover of no more than £12M, meaning there is a £8M+ hole in their finances before operational costs are taken into consideration…..

To use COVID as an excuse is laughable, 4/5 home games on average crowds of 10K, already accounting for their season ticket holders, EFL Solidarity payment, Sponsorship etc they wouldn’t be making much more revenue than 100K a match. They will have saved money by not having to pay the costs to stage games with supporters being present, ie Security, Police, Ambulance, matchday staff etc.

Force-majeure does not account for lack of basic mathematics. They have a hole in their accounts of £10M+ which their new owner is not willing to underwrite, hence the club is being run by the administrators. Their fans, of which I do have sympathy with, raised 150/200K to give to the administrators to ensure they could fulfil the fixtures. Regardless of not defaulting on football debts, it was reported their players have deferred their wages on a 20/80 split in the club’s favour!

The situation as I understand, it is that Wigan were bought out by a Hong Kong fund from Dave Wheelan in 2017, certain members of that HK fund wanted out, as they weren’t prepared to fund the losses anymore and that someone connected to that HK fund, took over the club. They knew the losses the club was making, and that bridging finance would have been required to fund the club forward. I don’t think the EFL are to blame here. Who would be stupid enough to buy a football club with no assets other than “Playing Staff” that’s losing 800K+ a month, without having the resources to fund the losses? Or at least have a facility in place to bridge those losses until they could release some capital through player sales. The extension of the season and “late transfer window” is not a viable excuse, as we all know some player transfer negotiations are done well in advance of the opening of the transfer window and although they cannot transact until the transfer window is open, they would have had enough to go to the bank or finance house and get finance facility to cover their overheads, secured on future transfer fees.

My theory, is the Previous owners “HK Fund” wanted out quickly and used a fall guy to buy the club, immediately mitigating their financial responsibilities. The “New Owner” then placed the club into administration before any further losses could accrued by them. I’m guessing the “New Owners / Ex Owners” are currently sat somewhere in the far east with NO recourse for their actions.

Fact remains Wigan are in “Administration”, hence 12 points deducted as the EFL rules state. There’s NO grounds for appeal, they would be better saving the 500K costs and putting it to better use.

11. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just sounds like they become the finest lawyers in the country when their club is as bent as a nine bob note and they get found out. About time the cheaters had the book thrown at them. Scumbags

12. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I dont like the sound of this from their statement
    The appeal is due to be heard by an independent disciplinary commission on 31 July 2020 and the outcome will be announced by the EFL at some time after that date.

13. andytyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I read that on a website other day. I couldn’t make my mind up if it was a good thing or a bad lol.

I looked for when the season started but don’t think there’s owt official Yet. Surly They cant give their finding 3 days before start of season or even once it’s started

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  14. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Farcical isn't it.

There should've been a 14 day deadline to have the appeal heard. We could find ourselves less than a month from the season and not knowing what league we are in. The uncertainty makes things worse for Wigan as well. They could end up with a completely busted up team in the Championship, so get relegated anyway.

15. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wish you posted more often.
    Reasonable, facts and common sense.
    Almost unheard of.
    Great, informative, post by the way.

16. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I’ve been wondering about Kieffer Moore and that he is suddenly Wigan’s most saleable asset, with a number of clubs reportedly showing an interest in him. I assume that we will have a sell on clause with an interest on anything over and above the fee they agreed with us. Just hoping the administrators don’t let him go on the cheap when he must be worth much more than when they got him from us.
    Perhaps we should put an embargo on any sale just to protect our own interests (and for the shear devilment of it):);)

17. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They were very happy drinking from the golden t*t and using their good fortune to their advantage. Cup finals and premier league seasons. I remember them playing league games against Frickley and losing. They’ve had the living of millionaires and couldn’t even fill their ground in the premier league.
    I feel sorry for them, I think they’ve been stitched up, but there’s no need for them to be so aggressive about a team that lived within its means.

18. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think any players they sell this month will be on the cheap, as long as it's a satisfactory up front payment.

19. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    BBC Sport (@BBCSport) Tweeted:
    Wigan's administrators have said talks with their preferred bidder have broken down.
    They will now negotiate with other parties.
    https://t.co/UmBsVjTeBF https://t.co/e85UyzVZ6t

Dont think they ll be able to justify spen'ding creditors money without a buyer.

20. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Well that would seem to be logical but the Administrators have said they are going ahead anyway