Wigan fans View on the Appeal

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by andytyke, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Jor

Jordym93 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Can t pay take it away...knocking on doors of Wigan and throwing big kieffer in the back of a pick up truck.

2. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A couple of things have baffled me in all this.

One is that most of their fans keep insisting they’re a well run club & even some people in the media such as Jim White are repeating this garbage. They’re a terribly ran club. Losses of £9m when you get 10k through the gates are frightening. People seem to think that as long as they don’t break FFP then they’re well run but to break the FFP you’ve really got to go to the extremes.

The other thing is that lots of Wigan & other clubs fans have criticised our players for celebrating on Wednesday night. I can’t get my head round this. Apparently we shouldn’t be celebrating at Wigan’s expense. What should the players do? Stop celebrating because it’s Wigan? I imagine most of the players didn’t even know who was going down, they were probably told ‘get a winner & we’re safe’ they wouldn’t have been bothered whether that’s at the expense of Wigan, Charlton or Luton.

3. Jor

Jordym93 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They really are hating on us. Especially peed off with our statement. Keep banging on about been 3rd worst team but we probably wouldn't be if they stuck to what they could afford. I did feel for the fans at first also as it's out of their hands but...

4. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That first one really confuses me as well. They're insolvent, and having to sell assets to cover wages. Cut and dry, despite the odd circumstances surrounding the takeover.

It's a badly run business which has finally lost the ability to bail itself out. They've reaped the benefits of that for years, and now the consequences have turned up.

anstonred and Django like this.
  5. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know that's the bit that gets me, they don't pay stupid wages and actually pay for the players they take on, pay their way and then where would they be!
    Had a look at the link somebody posted to the Hudds site, and they pretty much think the same of Wigan as we do.

anstonred, Jordym93 and Tykeored like this.
  6. BrunNer

BrunNer Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In their defence, their insolvency event wasn’t caused by the past catching up with them. They have been underwriting these losses for a substantial period of time and probably would have continued to do so.

What they’ve witnessed is what happens when someone turns off the money tap. Their business isn’t in good enough shape to cope - I suspect many others aren’t either.

7. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where does the money come from to pay for the appeal .

8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly this, if they were such a ‘well run’ club that had just been duped by a dodgy owner, they’d have no problem paying their bills. Just as if Conway, Lee et al left us today, we’d still be able to survive as a club as they’re not chucking money in to keep us afloat. They’ve run out of money, the owner has decided not to bankroll them any more, they’re bankrupt. End of.

anstonred likes this.
  9. Ric

RichieD Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some guy on Twitter said Wigan don't have any debt. With the losses they have been making how can that possibly be true? Can anybody enlighten me?

10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just this. Their owners have been topping up the deficit at a rate of nearly £1million per month. The “ new” owner just stopped throwing the cash down the drain. As soon as he turned off the tap Admin was inevitable

anstonred likes this.
  11. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A couple of gems from one of them, all ignoring the fact that if nobody buys them they are fked anyway!

Even if the appeal is lost, what isn't getting any/enough air time is, if a club enters administration in July, the points would always be taken off the following season. Never before has it been backdated to the previous. July 1st signals the start of a new season.

As the season legally ended 30th June, not sure why the EFL have changed it and decided to backdate the points deduction.

I would much rather take the hit next season if we have to, then we keep the Championship revenue and don't suffer an totally unfair relegation, sell a couple of players to make a profit and we would still have a strong young squad, that is improving and I would back us to stay up even with 12 off, given our performance levels since January. I think the league will be significantly weaker next season too.

Supposing we do win, points deduction rescinded can we go even further and sue the EFL for damages????

12. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t have any animosity towards Wigan fans. They’re clinging onto anything they can to justify their appeal. We’d be doing exactly the same.

13. Mjt

Mjt618 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They don’t have unpaid historic debt as the owners previously had been subsidising the losses. However their owners must have seen the bills mounting such as Transfer instalments, inland revenue, day to day running costs after furlough on top of their wage bill. The owners got out by creating a fabricated sale to a off shore entity before these payments were actually due, hence leaving the mess for the administrators with little time to sort out. There’s probably a lot more debts due than the administrators are making public.

Didn’t the full back, Robinson fail a medical at AC Milan in the Jan transfer window the reported fee was once was of £10m. I’m sure the writing was on the wall back then for the then owners and put the motions in place to exit their liabilities.

TitusMagee, anstonred and RichieD like this.
  14. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i was on their side until i read this
    "Supposing we do win, points deduction rescinded can we go even further and sue the EFL for damages????"
    "I’m looking at you here Barnsley, you bleating Yorkshire tarts"
    talk about cake n eat it! **** the lancs tw@ts, lets hope lancs become a 2 team county!

15. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was quite philosophical about relegation, really - on the pitch, we were the third worst team; the league table showed that. Wigan's deduction....whatever....our relegation would have been 'merited'. However, and it's a huge however, ***** like this from Wigan fans and others absolutely grinds my feckin' gears to the point where I'm overjoyed we might stay up ahead of those two-hats.

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Very true, I used to look at wigan signing all the players over the last few season and think surely it's a matter of time before they go tits up. I look at it this way if they lived within there means they wouldnt be able to afford the likes of kieffer moore, Jamal Lowe, joe William's etc on gates less than us. And without those would most likely have alot less points than they gained.

17. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve seen Wigan fans saying that us & them are very similar clubs buying cheap players & trying to sell them for a profit but that’s clearly not true.

I doubt we’ve had a £9m wage bill in our history. I’m pretty certain we’ve not since Cryne took over a year yet they’ve lost that in a year they got promoted

18. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Their annual wage bill at the moment is £19.4 million, with an average gate 4,000 less than us.

anstonred and Django like this.
  19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    That's how it always works. The EFL have made a decision. Wigan applied for administration and that was ratified. Under EFL rules that results in a 12 point penalty (with possible further penalties should Wigan not meet further stipulations). The EFL, having penalised Wigan by 12 points, then pass the decision they have made to an independent disciplinary committee who ensure the EFL have acted within the law. The EFL have already docked Wigan 12 points. They are waiting for a verdict from an independent body which will state that they were either right or wrong in doing so. If it states they were right, you will hear from them very quickly. If it states they were wrong, they will try to assess why it was judged they were wrong and possibly appeal against that verdict. There's nothing sinister going on here. The EFL cannot give a time frame on when they can release the verdict from the independent commission because they don't know yet if they agree with it as they don't know the outcome. If it is confirmed their decision was correct and within the law, you will hear that the same day, I can assure you. They've taken 12 points from Wigan, they believe that's the right thing to do, the only reason this will drag on is if another body disagrees with them. And they'll fight that because they believe in the rules.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    WatfordRed likes this.
  20. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is there any reason why the appeal couldn't be heard sooner? As it stands, Wigan have played the system so they can have two attempts at avoiding relegation as far as I can see.