Wigan post from when we played them at home.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fitzytyke2, Mar 16, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.u...69&start=1&highlight=Barnsley&highlightmode=1

Reading through some of the comments, some of their fans still think they should be chucking money at it.

Apparently they need to "speculate a few million to accumulate later" as whelan is worth so much money.

As far as I know, whelan has handed over the reins to his grandson.

I wonder if out of all those years of speculation, whelan and Wigan ever accumulated in monetary terms?

When I spoke to a wigan fan on Facebook after promotion, he was quite condescending about the difference between their expectation levels and ours. Talked about how they would spend money and be trying to get back into the top flight.

This is why I don't count the season as being over. We can still affect other clubs seasons and have a say in where they end up. Wigan, Wednesday and Bristol all fighting for results.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite right, unfortunately the only way we can affect the playoffs is against the Wendies, we could have a huge hand in getting Brizzle relegated though.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  3. fit

Burton and Blackburn both down there as well. That makes 5 from our last 9 a bit more meaningful.

4. fit

A bit more about their finances here. They were celebrating making a profit for the first time in 6 years, yet the club still owed the owner 48 million quid.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ec/31/wigan-athletic-report-annual-net-profit

2 relegations later, possibly a 3rd around the corner, parachute money running out and some players still on biggish wages. Can't see another money fueled assault on the top flight anytime soon.

Bet they still owe Whelan quite a wedge.

5. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Every club has its own rightful place in the leagues . The wonderful thing about football is that some clubs punch above their weight ie:
    Bournemouth/Leicester/Watford/Burnley and some clubs perpetually fail:
    Portsmouth/sheff utd / Leeds etc. Wigan are naturally a third division club and thats where they are heading . Ying and yang . Chuff em !

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  6. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Thing for me is that most of the smaller clubs that have punched above their weight have done it with huge investment. Wigan did, Fulham bought their way up through the leagues. Leicester and Southampton virtualy went bust with their spending and moved up, Hull did.Watford did. Even Bournemouth have. The only club that I think is comaparable to us and the miraculous way we achieved promotion to the Premier League, is Burnley, and now thanks to parachute payments etc, they have the wherewithall to go back up whenever they get relagated.