Will Corbyn still be leading the Labour Party at the next election, whenever that may be

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mark Stephenson, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm all for getting corporations to pay the tax they should. It could be a perfect storm though couldn't it? Businesses leaving UK because of higher taxation and Brexit, while Labour look to spend billions renationalising things.

I'm no fan of the current govt at all, but I cant bring myself to vote labour, even though i'd done it right up to and including Milliband.

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree leaving Europe has put the spanner in. It was the wrong decision even though I respect it. Its not imposdible and I guess itll test Corbyns real mettle if and when he gets in. I dont think he'll so gung ho about renationalising everything until the dust settles. Short termism is the last thing we all need and he needs to plan accordingly.

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I cant see a leadership challenge in the tories til after the "deal" is announced whenever that may be. They won't want to have an election, but parliament could force it if there is impasse. But even still. I can't see how Corbyn could get to a majority, or even find allies for coalition. Scotland changed the game for labour.

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can’t see labour winning due to all the shenanigans going on from MP’s who just want him out of leadership for their own agendas.

5. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You need someone with an air of authority
    Corbyn is just like Michael Foot. Neither looked the part and both were weak in debate across the house.
    He is on an ego trip and is now held to ransom by the extreme left wing.
    I have been Labour all my life but will not vote for him at next election. Would never vote Tory so will note vote at all, which is not something you should throw away
    The Labour Party need some one like Blair who came over good, shame he got into Bush,s claws.
    I wish David Milliband would stand and I think it was shameless his brother put up against him.
    We need the Tories out before they demolish the working people etc into oblivion

6. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not being funny mate. Buts that’s just ******* daft.

Spartacus likes this.
  7. Spa

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ******* stupid more like.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is possible to criticise a black person without being racist.
    It is possible to criticise a woman without being sexist

9. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    its amazing,someone criticises abbot and they are racist,sexist etc,but slate someone like farage,trump,thatcher,basically anyone from t'other side and its fine,after all most on here cant stand them.
    Abbot imo is horrible,i cannot fcukin stand her,ive seen enough of her over the last 10 or so years to form this opinion and it has absolutely nothing to do with her skin colour or the fact she is a woman ,can anyone really comprehend her being in government?
    thatcher was a absolute lovely person imo,but she was white so i cant be called racist i suppose ,so maybe i'm just sexist,i dunno..FFS

10. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you’d never vote Tory but would vote Labour if they had a Tory as leader

11. Tel

Telboyred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can’t agree more. Frequently inept and his integrity is questionable. Given that he has snubbed the armed forces on several occasions and his perceptions about the UKs defence seems at the very least clueless- I can’t see him leading the Labour Party to victory.

12. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    (Jimmy cricket said: The part that targets a black woman.)

I think JC overstepped the boundary of credibility there. Possibly the heat, one or two many bevvies or a combination of the two :)

13. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

For a change? He’s trolling him, always does it...

14. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I quite like a lot of Corbyn's stances on various issues, and would be more than happy if he were to become PM. However, like it or not he's quite a divisive figure. I think that we really missed the boat with Andy Burnham. Probably the only person in the party who was capable of uniting the traditional left with the Blairite centre.

TitusMagee and dekparker like this.
  15. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My thoughts on it are that yes, Corbyn will still be leader...he's made of quite tough stuff and is supported by another tough guy in McConnell, few leaders could have survived the resignations and leadership challenges that he's faced down and seen off...once he survived the back stabbing from Owen Smith his position was secure, I doubt anyone else will allow their ego to be massaged like Smith did...it seemed quite incredible that a person claiming to be a Corbyn ( or at least his brand of politics) supporter could challenge for the leadership, I can only conclude it was for personal advancement. I can't see anyone else coming forward and risking defeat and potential humiliation before the next GE.
    One of the problems we have currently is that we have so few political heavyweights on any side of the house....the older generation on here might agree that in the past there were heavyweights in both major parties....Churchill, McMillan,Heath,Thatcher,Heseltine,Lawson, Whitelaw,Hurd etc...Labour had Attlee,Gaitskill,Wilson,Healey,Shore,Benn,Jenkins,Callaghan etc....even the Liberals had their share of heavies in Thorpe,Steele,Ashdown, Smith...all these people and many others in their parties were capable of holding senior Office, debating at length and holding their position with depth of knowledge and dignity.
    Compared to the crop of political pygmies we have seen holding Office in the last few years, these people look like giants. There seem to be few front benchers on either side that can demonstrate a credible thought out position and hold it when scrutinised....in another age most of the current crop wouldn't have been seriously considered for any front line duties.
    To put it in a nutshell both May and Corbyn are in similar positions....probably the most qualified people for the respective jobs, but weakened, and in fact undermined by far less capable people.

Kettlewell and Tarntyke like this.
  16. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Feel exactly the same... was gutted when Burnham went for mayor and chose to focus on that.

I did like JC but I don't feel he can keep the party united and we are wasting time when we could be building momentum to challenge the tories at the next election, whenever that may be.

17. Not The Messiah

Not The Messiah Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Many people agree with Corbyn's policies, but don't like his image - sadly. It just shows that the electorate can't always be trusted to make the right decision - re Brexit, and the reasons for voting Brexit. To me, anyone who the Daily Mail doesn't like must be o.k. I think that awful woman Katie Hopkins still writes a column for them - enough said.

18. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apparently many people in 1983 gave their reason for not voting Labour as Michael Foot being too scruffy to be PM.

Kettlewell likes this.
  19. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you mean the same Blair that put our troops to death and brought terrorism into our children’s lives?

20. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Be careful using Churchill as an example of great politicians. He did brilliantly during the second world war but he was a racist whose 1950s government ran concentration camps in Kenya during the Mau Mau uprising. He also made a lot of mistakes earlier in his career.