With a massive labour shortage in the country at the moment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Sep 19, 2021.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    FFS, where did I say that?
    I said they weren’t miserable,

2. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really?

We all know". Really? Evidence?

So far as I am concerned, if anyone wants to try and make a "living" from existing on state benefits, then good luck to them. I don't buy it, because I think that would be a pretty miserable existence. If there are such people then I don't care if my taxes go towards supporting them. I think we have a better duty of common humanity than to want to make such people destitute. Only my view of course, and I appreciate others may have a different outlook

where does it say “imagined benefit scroungers” in there?
    I’ll save you the bother it doesn’t!!
    It does however say you imagine people getting benefits have miserable lives, which is what I replied to.

3. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you considered "shopping" your brother and his wife? If they are getting the sort of money you claim, for no good reason, that is basically benefit fraud and by letting them get away with it you are aiding and abetting.

Just saying like.

4. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which home are you going to send it to? Hawaii? Bermuda? Goa? Fiji? :D:D

Redhelen, TitusMagee and Brush like this.
  5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    which led to the roaring success of 87 and 92…yep things can only get better.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok I have another question then.
    Why is it that when a low paid (minimum wage job) is advertised why do so many people apply for the job without actually wanting said job? If life is so terrible on benefits why are there so many people CHOOSING to stay on them rather than take a minimum wage job? And this is something I have first hand experience of and it isn't jobs 100 miles from their home either.

The only explanation I can have for why literally hundreds of people apply for these jobs and then either do not answer any communication from the potential employer, fail to turn up for an interview, reply with 'ive changed my mind' or many other excuses is that they are being made to apply in order to keep their benefits. If anyone can think of another reason for so many people doing so I'd love to hear it

7. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The minimum wage is not a living wage end of discussion @SuperTyke

Redhelen likes this.
  8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And benefits are? Interesting

9. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, but you don’t have to work 8 hours a day for not enough money to live on and also incur costs for travel and childcare. Living on benefits is ****, living on minimum wage is ****. One saps around 10 hours of your day (including commute and break stuck at work), gives you less time with your kids and leaves you knackered at the end of the day and one doesn’t. Neither pays well.

Redhelen likes this.
  10. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You said she claims as a carer for them, you can’t be a carer for kids that aren’t entitled to disability benefits.

I mean; that ought to be obvious, but it’s amazing how logic goes out of the window in some of these discussions.

11. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Then I'll stick to calling them benefits scroungers if they CHOOSE to sit at home all day instead of getting a job then they're nothing but benefits scroungers. There's no defending it.

Also minimum wage IS enough to live on especially round here (different matter in London obviously), I know because I've managed it for long enough with my mortgage, sky sports, mobile, top speed broadband, season ticket, car etc.

Anyone saying minimum wage full time isn't enough to live on in places like Barnsley are just plain wrong

12. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So long as you’re happy being labelled a football HOOLIGAN.

Same logic
    Some benefit recipients really don’t want work so you label them ALL scroungers.

What a wonderful warm hearted world view.

Redhelen likes this.
  13. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When did I label all benefit recipients scroungers? I've stated several times in this thread that I feel for the genuine ones and would love us to give them more. Haven't i? The people I've labelled scroungers are those I were talking about, those who turn down work because they prefer the benefits life. Could you read the first sentence of the post you quoted again and see which bit you've completely ignored?

14. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wasn’t. I thought your question this time was why do some people choose to be benefit scroungers.

Also, you being a single guy (I think?) on minimum wage is a million miles away from someone who has kids and/or has ageing parents who need regular help. One guy on his own doesn’t need anywhere near the amount of money someone supporting a family does. Have you seen the cost of childcare/uniforms/trips/food/clothes? Add in parents to visit and help look after and minimum wage isn’t anywhere near enough. Also, not everyone lives in Barnsley, it doesn’t just have to be there or London.

TitusMagee likes this.
  15. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    TBH, I have no clue if that money is right or not, I’ve never given it any thought.
    From what I hear the benefits system don’t just give money away, so I would be surprised if they hadn’t been investigated etc.

16. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But the jobs im talking about are in Barnsley (and other south Yorkshire towns). Also the cost of living as a single person are actually disproportionately higher than the cost of living together or with a family plus people on minimum wage are entitled to child benefits aren't they? The single dad I work with who is on minimum wage is anyway. He has a season ticket, has a takeaway every Friday night, goes on holiday abroad once a year and on holiday in the UK twice a year. That's on minimum wage plus associated child benefits. Can't fault him, he's a grafter.

17. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did say that didn’t I?
    But I didn’t say if it was for one, two or three of them (cos I don’t actually know).
    But FFS why let a fact get in the way of a flippant assumption.

18. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well how you distinguishing?
    I could site here and write dozens of ‘user story’s’ requiring empathy and understanding.

But instead we’ll rely on your instinct.

The country could save millions in benefit claim processing, medical reports etc, and just have Supertyke decide who deserves state help and who doesn’t.

Another BBS success story.

19. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another potential explanation is that someone is holding out for a job similar to what they were doing before they were made redundant etc.. people may go from a highish paid job to nothing in a short space of time and may need a bit of cash to tie them over whilst finding something more suitable. An architect isn't going to want a few months at Aldi on their CV for instance nor are they going to want to mess anyone around leaving after 2 mins.

Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant. It isn't as black and white as you are making out.

John Peachy, Redhelen and JamDrop like this.
  20. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That would be true but I've seen the CVs of these people and trust me, that's not the case