Your finest food experience

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Jack Tatty, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Il San Pietro. Positano. Stunning.

2. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just made me laugh out loud in the pub. Got some funny looks.

I went to El Gaucho a couple of times when I lived in York and remember it being excellent- good to know it's still going.

3. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant at Padstow was fantastic and pricey. There's also a surprisingly good Nepalese restaurant near Euston station (Eversholt Street). Looks nothing from outside but food is fantastic. Might be called The Great Nepalese or something like that.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

4. redarmy990

redarmy990 New Member

Home Page:
    Volt in Fredrick MD, It was an 8 course tasting menu with wine and cocktails, Made sure i got my $250 worth on alcohol.

RuthsChris steak house in Bethesda has the best steaks ever and there crab stuffed mushrooms are to die for.

5. sta

stanningtontyke Active Member

Business Development Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is a little Italian in Blackpool tiny place called ambrosinis. This is stunning. Lovely little place. Also two more notable mentions, hotel nazo in Rio Turbio Argentina (where I am currently sat) and a restaurant in ramagundam, India called the hai king. Both amazing genuine local food!

6. shenk1

shenk1 Well-Known Member

Urine Extraction Technician
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Suprised nobody's mentioned Percy Turners yet :D

Paella in a Tapas bar in Berlin (Los olas ?) Christmas eve first time we went. Didn't think owt would be open , couldn't afford a meal in the hotel so thought it would be snacks for the night and noticed this place that was dark but looked open. It was brill....came on what can only be described as a dustbin lid and didn't cost the earth either. Been back a couple of times and still as good.

7. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nah, the pub under the bridge is now called the Country Park Inn - don't know what it was called before but, apart from the view, it's very average.

The best food nearby is at the Pipe and Glass at South Dalton. Now that is special

8. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Square in Mayfair London tremendous cooking , the Star at Harome North Yorks very good and abroad Andre's Bouchée Bistro in Carmel California

9. Tid

Tidytyke Active Member

Le Manoir aux Quat Saisons - Raymond Blanc's place near Oxford.

Amazing.

10. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sid Little's place in the Strawberry Fields pub in Fleetwood does a nice gammon steak and chips

11. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Such a cultured lot.

12. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its 100 and those times are over but I'd mire thank achievable

13. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    when are you taking me out for dinner? :D

14. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    blimey... thats a question!

Not sure the single best place (theres so much food to be had!) but consistently, the best country for quality food is Italy. Spent a week in Bologna, Modena and Parma last summer and crikey, the cheese and ham they send to the uk is nothing like in comparison. Eaten at some amazing little places in Verona, Florence and Rome. Rome stands out in particular.

A place in Krakow that did a stewed wild boar that was delicious.

The best beef i've eaten was in Hanoi last Feb. They dont age it at all. Its killed, butchered and is on a plate the same day. The freshness and flavour is incredible.

One of my favourite UK restaurants was the Cherry Duck in Bristol which is now sadly no longer there. Myristica in bristol is an incredible modern indian. Liver, rabbit, game... well worth a try.

Service wise, Aquashard in London is incredible. Took my mum for afternoon tea there and went with the other half for sunday brunch/lunch before christmas and watching the sun go down and night time arrive in London while eating superb quality food with amazing service was a pretty good way to spend a sunday.

Though the best 2 sunday lunches were Troff in manchester and and Smokehouse in London.

Off to Alta in the arctic next week and one of the hotels (sorrisniva, an igloo hotel made of ice) is supposed to have a pretty amazing dining experience, so maybe that will be added.

15. Cas

Casper Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not the best food BUT the best experience was eating cookies in the kitchen of the White House, not the old pub at Barugh Green!

16. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For the service, probably Le Gavroche, Michel Roux's place in Mayfair, absolutely amazing, and actually not ridiculously expensive to say it was two star Michelin because we went for the set lunch on a weekday.

For the food - tasting menu at Restaurant Sat Bains in Nottingham.

Dishonourable mention to Tom Kerridge's Michelin star place in Marlow, the Hand and Flowers - absolutely cack.

17. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Living in Le Marche British Lamb runs rings around the lamb here. basically they raise sheep for the milk as 90% of cheese is pecorino in various forms made from sheeps milk. The lamb is basically the very young males killed as they are no use. They are small and immature so the flavour isn't there. You have to work hard to make it tasty with garlic rosemary etc. That said, there is so much other good stuff hams, salamis, mortadella, pork, quail, rabbit, fruit and vegetables that eating out, as you say, is always a pleasure especially as away from the touristy hotspots it is cheap if a bit unsophisticated.

Its about the quality of the ingredients here....even in supermarkets the veg is local -potatoes come covered in soil as they should and no problem with mis-shapen, irregular sized stuff. People here buy for flavour and freshness not appearance.

As someone once said - The French put their trust in the chef -Italians put their trust in God!!

18. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a great thread.

I think there cant simply be one, depends on the occasion.

Had some nice meals in Quagulino's in London, last night had a nice Steak in the Carrington Arms near Milton Keynes where they specialize in grill (pick your own meat, cut, combo etc.). I have had some great meals at La Boehme in Lymm. I love the Exeter Arms in Derby. English Tapas and Dancing Duck Ale perfect for lunch and a few beers.

Some of the best abroad have been The Keg in Toronto. Great Scallops and Steak. A fantastic 8+ courses at Seafood Republic in Singapore where the Chili Crab was out of this world. Wasn't too impressed by the food in Russia but the Vodka helped the cabbage and pig fat go down. Recently went to XO Street in Barcelona where that was also really good, as it says different street foods served at a counter. This was opened by a well known Spanish chef so a bit more fine dining skills put to a street food concept. Once had a massive seafood pasta in Nice, im sure I ordered a 'for 2' portion/ Even the waiter looked at me puzzled and it looked untouched when I had finished.

Finally one of my favorites is the Clams in a restaurant in the old town of Albufeura in Portugal, the Beach Basket.

I could go on.....

19. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bibis ( Leeds)

20. Sca

Scarthy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surprised you got much to eat in that place in Marlow. There can't be much that the fat **** doesn't scoff himself