£1.2 million p.a.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Voice of Reason, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Possibly thinking of Flynn from Newport?

How much he’s animated really doesn’t mean anything really. Maybe to you and others, but there’s plenty of failing managers that are kicking water bottles and throwing their arms around all over Europe.

I know he’s a well respected coach and he’s done incredibly well in his career at only 36. I’ve heard that the players respond well to him and morale is much improved. If we weren’t going to support him in January then maybe it was unfair to ask him to come in and we should have gone for someone with more knowledge of English Football. But it’s way too early to tell in my opinion.

2. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they invest then that would be a loan. Are you comfortable with us owners being owed money for the football club? Ignoring they owe us £750k currently.

I’m not suggesting this model can’t be managed better. I keep repeating how awful the decisions made in the Summer were, but I think expecting the Head Coach to be paid £1.2m is pushing our capabilities and the capabilities of our nearest competitors too far and unrealistic.

Do agree on the smaller squad though.

3. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't want the club to be run unsustainably, but I think it would have been a good idea to try to attract an experienced Championship manager by offering a salary the board they could afford, but with a big bonus at the end of the season if we stay up. There must have been some potential candidates who would have had the confidence in their own ability to take the job on that basis.

churtonred, wolvestyke and Kettlewell like this.
  4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I was thinking of flynn i though he could have been a good appointment at the time.

I watched a old video of warnock last week when he was giving morgan a right bollocking for ******* up at half time i had visions of poya giving Williams one for that 1st goal at half time but then i thought no he seems too nice some of these need a bollocking soft as ****.

And i agree about that he should have been backed this window but looks like were just rolling over and accepting relegation time will tell if he his a success.

5. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who knows. Guaranteed salary is always king. And our situation was a bleaker one than most so experienced bosses wouldn’t take too much of a gamble.

What if from those that interviewed this was the best candidate with a salary we could affford? I wouldn’t want investment to come from these owners because we would then owe them that money back at some point.

6. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said earlier the 1.2m is too much in isolation as an annual salary for a head coach. Debt isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact its a key part of business. As long as its serviced and manageable. The owners don't owe me anything. But the question I asked was what would you do differently? Do you have any ideas on that or thoughts?

7. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    “The Chief Executive said…” £1.2m pa.”
    Don’t be soft. Guff and nonsense.

8. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s not a key part of business if the objective is to not do that. I wouldn’t want to see regular annual losses more than we’re seeing right now. And I wouldn’t want to gamble too much financially at the time when we recruited a new Head Coach.

I wouldn’t have wasted anything from £15k to £20k a week of the budget on two Belgians. I wouldn’t have let Dane Murphy leave without a replacement starting within a week or two. I would have ensured that any managerial appointment after Val was a management and coaching team, replacing all positions in one go, who all knew each other and knew what they wanted to implement on the squad.

All the above doesn’t risk our financial future. It’s just being smarter at planning and decision making.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  9. Harry Hough

Harry Hough Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    [QUOTE="Voice of Reason, post: Going for cheaper options can prove more costly in the long run.[/QUOTE]

But isn't "going cheap" the Barnsley way these days?

10. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    WE ARE ****

11. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would be nice if we could have used Schmidt and Thomas's wages to help fund a Warnock style manager until the end of the season.

Voice of Reason and icer like this.
  12. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

13. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have I imagined it or in your interview with KEA the other night did he mention how we'd profited when Struber and Ismael left? At the time I thought that comment confirmed a view I've long held that our Head Coach is just another asset to be sold when an acceptable offer is received. Given that our player recruitment has been pretty speculative and designed to maximise potential return on those that come off, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that we follow the same approach for the coach. So I believe our key selection criterion will probably be similar to player recruitment and include: age (we want someone in the early part of their career, which probably means they will be relatively young), experience (as with games played with players, we want a reasonable number of games managed), cost (we want to minimise salary), they want to come (foreign coaches may well because we're an opportunity to get into English football and a stepping stone to bigger money), track record / potential (have they got a reasonable win %), style (must be high press, although maybe that's changed with the Schopp and Asbaghi appointments) ability to develop young players, and resale value. If the coach is successful they'll leave and we'll make a profit and then repeat the process. It's intentional and by design.

If 'best candidate' is based on these criteria then I think you're absolutely right. But as with players, each one is a gamble. If we're in mid-table and comfortable then it might be worth that gamble. For that reason I'm comfortable with the Schopp appointment - it was again a gamble but based on last season's results they assumed we'd be ok this. They obviously didn't consider (or underestimated) the impact of losing Mowatt, Dike, Sollbauer plus the additional loss of coaching staff etc, made even greater because the new round of speculative transfers has so far failed, at least in terms of their readiness this season. The two appointments I'm hugely critical of are Morais and Asbaghi - because in both instances we were in trouble when they were appointed. The qualities we most needed were greater experience and motivation skills - someone who knew the league, had gone through previous similar experiences and had the ability to get players to scrap, because teams who avoid relegation usually fight their way out. Morais didn't have those qualities and on the basis of the evidence so far neither does Asbaghi. He may go on to have a very successful career and be an excellent manager but if the most important thing is staying in this division, he's the wrong appointment for us at this time imo. Which takes me back to the reasons he was the best candidate and suggests that as with players, it's potential resale value that is the priority, above league position.

14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there’s an element of that. I also think it’s just smart business to have these release clauses in there. So many teams lose out massively when bigger clubs come calling, so at least we’re avoiding that, however it’s definitely a case of giving an aspiring coach a platform in England and at the point they’re ready to step up due to success we benefit.

Khaled did say something, at one of his forums or interviews, that the reason we look overseas is that they tend to have a better understanding of a pressing style. I would challenge that with Schopp and Poya, however the latter really is just working with what he’s got and might deem the players unable.

The big discussion point is that I don’t think we can afford, nor should we pay, a head coach £1.2m a year and almost twice as much a week as our highest earner.

15. wolvestyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree with that Loko. I wouldn't want to pay £1.2m to any head coach either. But I really don't believe Asbaghi was the best candidate we could afford. My argument is that there would have been others much cheaper than that figure but they were disregarded because they didn't meet the other criterion I listed.

16. Red

RedVesp Guest

Yep, £23,000 a week is pie in the sky as things stand, in fact I'd be confident in saying that £12,300 is beyond us.

17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He did come really close to getting the job last time out so you would think his application would be stronger this time given he was REALLY inexperienced then. I guess being the best candidate will always be subjective. I think on this occasion, unlike with Schopp, it was a thorough recruitment process.

18. Red

RedVesp Guest

The recruitment process needs a drastic overhaul then.

19. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not even convinced there was a process in the Summer!

Kettlewell and RedVesp like this.
  20. wolvestyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't disagree. But a thorough process that omits any assessment of some critical factors is a poor process. I'll drop it now. :)