A journalist who writes for "The beautiful game" sent me this

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Turbotyke, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Tur

Turbotyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A good few months ago I saw an article on line about BFC and our playoff campaign and it questioned whether we were a big enough club for the championship, at the end of the article there was a chance to leave comments which I did in detail, comparing us to Luton, Bournemouth and a couple of other clubs and in particular how we had a bigger fanbase, bigger ground, better training facilities ( yes! I know it sounds a bit Wednesdayish) and I sounded off a bit. To my surprise the journalist Neil Jensen contacted me directly and he thanked me for the comments but did not intend to play BFC down, I replied and thanked him for contacting me and I briefly asked him about Conway, Lee and their companies; he said he would do some digging.
    Yesterday I e-mailed him and asked him if he had seen the EFL charges against the club and he and other journalists could make the football authorities aware of these people his reply was "Yes, I have seen it - must admit haven’t dug deeper but I will be doing so. It’s a mess out there!"
    Earlier today Neil Jensen e-mailed this and I thought that you my fellow BFC supporters would like to see it.
    https://sportsinvestment.substack.com/p/pacific-media-groups-disastrous-impact

2. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting read, thanks for posting mate.

YorkRed and x11barnsley like this.
  3. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for posting. A really good read and a brilliant summation of the chaos reaped on many clubs by the scheisters.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  4. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the link I posted here the other day, sadly I don't think he's done any real digging, just posted a link from the first page of Google.

5. Sca

Scawsby Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting to read, cheers for posting

x11barnsley likes this.
  6. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have read that link before , I do not believe it is up to date with the current situation & might even be a couple of years old

7. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting, thanks for that

8. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I'd seen this before. The simultaneous relegation of three clubs in three different countries is some achievement. As per my post in the thread about the efl charges, I have come to an opinion that I don't want anybody these people inveigled into our club to stay here.

9. Jud

Juddy G Well-Known Member

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely backs up my theory we are just toys in their Micky portfolio, maybe we haven’t given the charlatans the dividends they were after but they haven’t helped with their strategy.
    Sooner we are rid to genuine football people the better, yes this self reporting may be the strategy to get shut of conman and Lee but I still see some of the others as part of the rotten lot.
    The dialogue with the Cryne’s must be uncomfortable, it’s not that long ago we had statements counter statements and court cases and whilst they may have kissed and made up we don’t appear any further forward with ground/land ownership.
    At some point very soon irrespective of League we need to bulldoze the West stand and we can’t wait till we get promoted for bigger crowds . The mess it has caused over the last two seasons should surely convince the sentimental it needs to happen? Every time I drive down I just think 2023 what a mess, I can’t see this season needing to debate about the North side as crowds will be well down, only Derby will bring a large crowd ( a cup run may change that).
    Perhaps Khaled’s big news is around that whenever it materialises, if it was just a marketing strategy to sell tickets he’s going to end up with egg on his face and further alienate fans, he built some bridges last year but I have never taken to him too many mistruths.

10. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d like to see them 3 gone once and for all too but I want a team before I want a stand, there’s no future in having a posh ground in div 2

11. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The west stand does not want bulldozing just improving & there is plenty of unsold seats in the rest of the ground with nobody being forced to sit in the west, personally me & my family have sat in it for years & love it .

Dalestykes likes this.
  12. Jud

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s an eyesore with crap facilities, yes I agree it could be modernised but that would mean flattening it, a slightly higher stand ( not obscuring the few house at the far end) with facilities underneath in the same style say 5500 would be ideal.
    Not being able to open the far end or plan to should we need to on the odd occasion is embarrassing, there was 3 games, Pigs, Pompey and Bolton in the play off where for having the foresight to hire some festival toilets and refreshments would have eased some of the issues faced.
    The bottom half done in the early 90’s when we were playing in a one and half sided ground( before the seats were put on the Kop) is in need of modernising, the leg room is shocking.

13. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Them 3. Who are you referring to please. ?
    JAQ came on board last season with her husband holding shares I believe.
    Neerav I think now has the club at heart.
    Crynes.
    Do I assume you mean Lee, Conman and Khaled. ?
    If Khaled. He takes his orders from the board. And is the mouthpiece. Yes he has their trust to be given the day to day running. But ultimately answers to them. ?

14. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sorry my fault , meant 2!:(
    obvs Lee and Conway

Hooky feller likes this.
  15. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given the latest news I reckon you and i, will get that wish. Just depends if lee can get bought out. ?

North Yorks Red likes this.
  16. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn"t need flattening , a new roof extended to cover the open seats, new toilets & refreshment bars & its good to go , we sit in the bottom half open seats & the leg room is fine , the seats are good & the view is fantastic & any one who doesn"t like looking at it could always watch the match instead, I do not like looking at the east stand & its flashing advertising it sends my eyes potty so I just concentrate on the pitch , it does my nut in when fans moan about the west stand, its the best view in the house & what always make me smile are those that moan about the facilities are the ones who dont use them they sit elsewhere in the ground , so why grumble , us who renew our season tickets there know exactly what we are getting & if we didn"t like it we would move .

17. Jud

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sat in the West around 5 times last season, it’s not fit for modern day football no matter how sentimental you are , i can’t look at the pitch when I’m driving towards it but on approach it’s an embarrassment.

Stephen Dawson and SuperTyke like this.
  18. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    May I ask how tall you are? As when I went in the lower tier the first thing that I and the two others who were with us noticed was that the leg room was poor as the seats were unnaturally low meaning knees were above waist height. Something which others around is were also commenting on. Again because of the low gradient of the stand it meant that the view sideways down the pitch was extremely poor with heads of people on the row in front blocking the view.

What do you mean by it's the best view in the house? Based on what? What gives the west stand with its stanchions and low angle of seating a better view than the east stand with no stanchions and an angle of seating designed to modern standards?

Also not sure what you mean by a new roof extending to cover the open seats. That would mean a new stand

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Stephen Dawson likes this.
  19. Jud

Watter man
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously you mean East but agree with the angle of the seats I got really bad pins and needles from being cramped.

SuperTyke likes this.
  20. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oops yes I do.

I just don't understand his post really. If he was to say he likes the west stand because of nostalgia then fair enough. He likes the design of the stand, fair do's. Loves the rustic look of the wooden seats, valid. But to say he likes the leg room i don't get, it's not an opinion that the leg room in the west stand is worse is it? It's a fact. And that the view is better from the west. Again it's factually not is it?

Juddy G likes this.