A Second Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dreamboy3000, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's clear to me that the danger group in terms of spreading the virus are school kids and students. I don't know what can be done to fix this though. People need education.

I'd make all higher education remote via video conferencing and just have schools attending as even though they are asymptomatic carriers they don't use public transport just to **** grumpy ******** like me off.

BFC Dave likes this.
  2. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I honestly can’t believe that you just shrug your shoulders and accept **** like this.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  3. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who says we are just shrugging our shoulders. There is a good chance that everything will be fine, but you have to accept there is a risk of local lockdown in a town where a significant percentage of the population are students. If the restrictions don't work, then we will do what we need to do to keep everyone safe (Mrs is late 50s, diabetic who had asthma as a kid so higher risk and my parents are in their early 70s with their own health conditions) and part of that is accepting that this year we probably can't have our "normal" Christmas. This might be a delayed Christmas while she self-isolates for a few days before coming home, or it might be that we can't get her at all.

Given her age, it is likely that in the next few years she wouldn't come home for Christmas anyway. So this could be the first year we have different arrangements.

We have perceived the potential risk, and will act accordingly. Given the vagaries of the British weather, there is always a risk that she can't get home (flooding or snow in Wales or Derbyshire), but this year adds extra challenges into the mix.

BarnsleyReds likes this.
  4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rishi Sunak has done a load of tweets about his announcements today before he takes questions from the press at 3 pm. This reply to him hits the nail on the head. Also if a business cannot afford to pay a third of the wages it doesn't matter how much the government will help top them up.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sunak has come up with a stupid overly complicated and piss poor system. Should just trial UBI instead.

6. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sunak has taken the spotlight off Matt Hancock getting embarrassed and shy talking about sex with a woman.

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The good news is that lots of people will get an hourly payrise. The bad news is that many more will lose their jobs or get nothing.

Redstone likes this.
  8. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    wakeyred likes this.
  9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Which nail does it hit on the head? That Sarah is **** at maths? A third of 40 hours is 13 and a third. Multiplied by 3 is 40 hours. Not 60.

10. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    What do you want to see happen? Please give a solution.

You constantly post absolute drivel from social media conspiracists and idiots. You keep saying that you don't want any restrictions, no social distancing, no masks. Back to how it was months ago.

How do you protect the vulnerable in that situation? Please give a viable solution. I'm not asking for a 500 page thesis, but have you even thought for a second about how impossible logistically that would be?

TitusMagee and Fonzie like this.
  11. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you’re both wrong.

The scheme is that the employer picks up the bill for the 1/3 hours worked. Then the government and employer pick up a third of what’s left (not 1/3 of the total).

If the employer was to keep 3 staff on at 1/3 hours, they will have to pay the 1/3 that they work plus 2/9 (which is a third of the rest) effectively paying 5/9ths of their wage whilst getting 3/9ths of their hours. The government will pick up a third of what’s left too, so 2/9ths of the original hours.

3 x (1/3*40) = 40 hours
    3 x (2/9*40) = 26.67 hours
    Employer pays 66.67 hours for 40 hours work.
    Government tops up 26.67 hours.

If they keep one member of staff and bin the other 2.

Employer pays 1 x (3/3 x 40) = 40 hours
    Government doesn’t contribute.

Now that seems an obvious decision for businesses, it’s cheaper to keep one and get rid of two, paying 40 hours salary for 40 hours work. But businesses need to take into account firing, retraining and possibly re-hiring costs, along with the job retention bonus coming up in January.

12. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Zoom is not the same as face to face. We need to educate the youngsters. Places of learning need to stay open.

There is also the argument that older people are less reliant on public transport too.

BFC Dave likes this.
  13. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Welcome to North Korea - soon you won’t be able to travel without a health card. It’s absolutely ridiculous, who’s going to police this nonsense?

14. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think it’s ok that a SCO can issue you with a £10k fine, without any recourse to legal proceedings, based on their own judgment on a law that has not been voted on or scrutinised by our elected representatives?

15. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Without any recourse to legal proceedings?

Can you please show me where this is the case? I accept I could be wrong, but as far as I’m aware you can appeal against the fine.

16. Jor

Jordym93 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    This is all about controlling us as we all know. More people are been effected by job losses than people are with covid. When cases were low. We should of done a full lockdown for 2 week and I mean real lockdown like Italy did. none of these silly measures so rich companys can create their loopholes. Then we could of gone back to normal straight after but no the fookers as usual drag things on and on. Spoke to my great grandma over the water as she's in ireland the other day and she says "one thing she's learnt from this, shes spent 80 odd years campaigning for a free ireland and she regrets the lot as she's learnt everyone of the buggers **** in the same pot".

17. wak

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You may be able to appeal but you cannot stop the original decision at the time, have you seen the court case backlog Thanks to lockdown? Probably could get it overturned by 2035.

18. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    As far as I’m aware, once you lodge an appeal, you don’t have to pay until the outcome is settled. Correct me if I’m wrong.

If you’re found guilty, you deserve the £10k fine.

19. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is the issue, it allows employers to reduce total costs in the immediate term, but at the same time makes the cost of labour 2/9 more expensive.

Mido likes this.
  20. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that the coronavirus act should be debated instead of being allowed to be extended no questions asked. It needs to be stopped from being extended next week. Rishi Sunak said three things yesterday that stood out for me.....

1) We can no longer put lives on hold.
    2) Our plan needs to adapt and evolve in our response.
    3) Live without fear.

Number 3 was the most telling and finally a government motto I can relate to for the first time since they wanted to protect the NHS. We have Bumbling Boris scared stiff of opening up the country and looking overweight, tired and without a clue what to do. Rishi yesterday looked the part, gave some home truths and spoke a lot of sense. It's telling Boris wasn't there to support his chancellor just how far the pair of them appear to be apart with their thinking of how to deal with the crisis. The money spent trying to save jobs that look like they can't be save could have been used to train up thousands of new carers to look after the most vulnerable so they didn't have to put themselves at risk by shopping for themselves.

I know long Covid is a serious matter and it's stupid our government won't acknowledge it. I have see the Facebook group with over 20000 members telling their stories. It's a lot of people but still a tiny fraction of the millions around the world who have had Covid. We can't keep pausing life as it's not healthy for anyone. Hospitals should be kept free of Covid patients, with them put someone else to be looked after.