Arsenal trying to cut knife crime

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know you neither read the DM nor are a dad. That’s why it’s so sad.
    Sentences aren’t a deterrent, and only politicians and journalists that are small of mind or manipulative pretend that’s not the case, because they know it’s attractive to a section of society that’s larger than it ought to be.

2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So, John the 17 year old trainee sous chef can carry a knife, and possibly Bill the 17 year old trainee carpet fitter but not Mick the building labourer? Even though all could use knives for work...

Its easy to say, but a lot trickier to draft in a legally-compliant way without having to make lots of exceptions...

Austiniho likes this.
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And yet the law is already there. It just doesn't have very tough penalties

4. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

I think the point being missed is that knives were simply tools and not considered a weapon. My first pen knife my grandad gave me. It was about an inch long when opened and was brilliant at peeling bits of apple to eat. It was also on a key ring so I could affix to a belt hoop. (I was too young for a key).

He used to sharpen it for me from time to time and taught me how to skin and gut a rabbit with it.

Play in my day often involved things that would be banned as dangerous nowadays. But I was outside whenever I could be. Making dens/camps/campfires/shelters and rafts for the canal were very common. A knife was very useful for the string involved. As well as shaping the other stuff. Rope swings over valleys were a particular favourite as well. Im not looking back with rose tinted glasses, my friends and I were always on our next project. We used to build carts and race them down the stack, sledges for winter… sorry if your childhood was a bit rubbish, but mine wasn’t. (Not meant for you btw Andy, just the folk who have a modern mindset and can’t believe kids could own/carry/use a knife without sticking it in each other.

I’m not sure what the answer is nowadays, as you all just see them as weapons. That has become clear. But I do applaud Arsenal for at least trying. I hope it prevents any more knife deaths.

lk311, Wuz1964 and Stephen Dawson like this.
  5. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes. But not aimed at being used as a weapon or to attack people. This is the crux of my point. Im not advocating carrying knives or any weapon. Im merely giving an insight into how the culture (as you say even with dangerous items at our disposal) wasnt the same as now where knife and gang crime has increased in severity and consequences.