Can we have an honest discussion about Woodrow?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedVesp, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    all the managers we have had since Cauley has been at the club rate him highly enough to pretty much have him as an automatic choice. I can’t say I know better than them but if it were me assessing my options

big Vic L1/2 standard
    Cole - 20 minute sub against tired legs
    Frieser - willing runner but could play a thousand games and still wouldn’t get to 50 + goals again L1/2 standard at best.
    Miller shipped out. L1/l2 standard
    Obbi - least said the better

So if I’m playing 3 up front my options are incredibly limited.

Morris automatic pick but severe doubts about ability to keep fit
    Iseya - individually skill full but doesn’t really link with other players just does his own thing. Sometimes that works and sometimes like yesterday it doesn’t. As a manager basing your team around him is a massive risk.
    Woodrow out of form and out of luck but most managers looking at his record would think I can work with him to get that back especially seeing the records of the rest.

Redhelen likes this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He scored 2 goals for Burton and both were in L1.

3. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ‘Striker blasts fans’ is never a great headline to generate in your post match interview. I agree with the general point, but he’s not worded it very well.

4. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

I disagree with him that the team don’t look like a bottom of the league side…. They look very much a bottom of the league side.

5. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Walton is a very able replacement who has shown he can perform at this level - so it's a different argument imo.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  6. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The team is poor. The fans are desperate. Desperate fans turn on their own players for negative reasons. The argument goes, we are in a mess, we have to do something... anything. However, nothing good ever comes of it if you are making decisions for negative reasons, and that is just what the fans are doing. I knew that we needed a centre forward last year. I said as much. I saw Obbi Oulare as the club's attempt to find that man, but as we all saw, he just is not fit. If there was a fit centre forward at the club, then I would be in favour of at least moving Cauley Woodrow from a position that does not suit him, but there is no-one. So Woodrow has to shoulder the responsibility of playing there against a background of mounting fan pressure. We are all frustrated this season, but try to remember that the players are human too. Cauley's response at the week-end was a reaction to the pressure he is feeling.

Jimmy viz and Redhelen like this.
  7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Adam Davies had a awful season last time we went down under heck and morais. Cost us plenty of points with mistakes and confidence was low was dropped for a while it was the right thing to do.

Redhelen likes this.
  8. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still maintain Cole deserves a run in the side. He's looked strong and pacy in recent games and got brought off when he hasn't deserved to.
    Absolutely baffled why Vic got on before him on Saturday.

noksucow and Redhelen like this.
  9. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very true.

Didn't he suddenly start wearing contact lenses the year after?

Also, who was our back up that season?

Redhelen likes this.
  10. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Nick Townsend who wasn't the best keeper and always wanted to rush off his line. But deserved a chance at the time because Adam had a poor season throughout just out of form. Not sure about the contact lenses but he was great in league one and made the team of season and I think kept the most clean sheets.

Fonzie and Redhelen like this.
  11. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cauley always gives 100% and is still our best option to score a goal. He's been played in a different role which is not his fault. We all know he's better up top in a two but none of the recent managers have asked him to play that way. The consequence of him playing deeper on occasions is that he's missing those tap ins in the box. There were two crosses fizzed across the box which the Cauley of old would have tapped in. However, he seems to be hanging on the edge of the box for a pull back. Hence he's more likely to have a long range effort than a tap in. I'm not sure who people would play instead of Woodrow but to me, he's the only striker who is of championship quality. He's a team player playing in a team that creates very few chances. Personally, I think he's being scapegoated for our dismal start.

12. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a worry that we do not have any midfielders that can play in that position and link up with a front two. If only we had someone with championship experience that can pick a pass, and has a shot on him training with the u23s...

Redhelen likes this.