Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tyke79, Jul 8, 2023.

1. StatisTYKE

StatisTYKE Well-Known Member

Rodent Disposal Operative.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is true. In my job I have had insurance companies as clients. There is no science. They do make it up – definition of conmen.

Thing is now, like supermarkets and petrol there is no real competition they’re taking it to a new level.

Gimson&theBarnsleys likes this.
  2. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Strangely enough I've done mine today...£185 last year, Co-op tried to auto renew at £382, when I rang to cancel they offered me £27 off.
    Went onto Meerkat and Moneysupermarket.com, got fixed up for £153.

Gimson&theBarnsleys likes this.
  3. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Car. Car!

Edit: On a serious note Quote Me Happy have reduced my premiums for the same car for the last 3 years. May not mean much when renewal comes round in Feb but am just saying...

4. KyoteTyke

KyoteTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s all part of the bigger plan (the big reset) to reduce the number of car owners and private mileage by 2030!

Car prices up
    Tax on cars up
    Road tax up
    Petrol up
    ULEZ being expanded to further cities.
    Insurance up.
    Fines from the likes of UKPC now acceptable & up.
    … and motorists facing more & more ridiculous rules whereby everyone other than the driver have greater rights.

The majority of change they will use Climate change as the reasoning …. By 2030 you won’t own anything but you will be happy!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  5. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ours did similar last year. Hiked the price by nearly £250 despite having been with them for 4 years, full no claims (and protected).

Called them up and said there was no way I'd renew at that price. No worries, he says, let me see what I can do. Clicks a few things and says he can knock off the admin fees - that'll save about £15.

That's not good enough, still a rise of over £200. He makes some waffle about inflation etc etc but he can offer me a one time discount on the price of a further £50.

Told him to stuff it. Shopped around and got a deal within £10 of the previous year's price and an Amazon (or M&S - forget which, my wife spent it before I even saw it ) gift card for £50.

sadbrewer likes this.
  6. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    J
    I'm still not sure how cashback - or credit cards - work to be honest @JamDrop!

I just renewed my insurance and got it with another provider for the same price as last year (current provider wanted to put it up by £20). It's been like that for years, I'm always pleasantly surprised that it never goes up. I'd urge anyone who doesn't to use compare the market, as it's always been great for me. And as I say, I switch every year. It's no hassle, you just tell your current provider you're not renewing (couple of clicks on your online account), and once you have done a quote with compare the market, it stores your car details etc year on year, so you just need a couple of clicks for a fresh quote each year (updating the mileage, car if necessary etc). 'Simples' as the meerkats say :D

sadbrewer likes this.
  7. Red

Redblueunwhite Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We know what yer thinking mate don't have to say a word lol. Rip off Brittan.

Jordym93 likes this.
  8. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve never had a credit card so I’m equally as clueless there. With cashback, you create a free account with Quidco, or Topcashback, or both and then search for the company you’re buying from and click on the link. It takes you to the exact same official website you are buying from but you get whatever percentage of cashback it said paid into your cashback account a few months later. You can then withdraw that as cash or as vouchers to certain shops. You get extra money for taking it as vouchers. The only downsides are it can be slow and it sometimes doesn’t track so only buy what you were planning on buying anyway, don’t get extra just because of the cashback.

Redarmy87 likes this.
  9. jagzz88

jagzz88 Well-Known Member

Construction
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Change ever year just go on the comparison sites. I go through Quidco which is a cash back site normally get around £30 back.

10. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Daughter just past her test last week. 18 years old. Managed to get it for the tiny sun of £1700 :D.

that was after adjusting stuff to get it cheaper eg leaving off her part time job, student living away etc Ridiculous some prices we were quoted

11. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All the spurious injury claims have to be paid for some how.

12. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you!

JamDrop likes this.