Cauley Woodrow linked with Ipswich

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Archey, May 24, 2022.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Honestly can't see a top end or even middle championship side taking a chance on him. I could be wrong but based on the past 18 months i just cant see it.

churtonred likes this.
  2. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Generally speaking, people fall into two camps. The Pro Cauley Camp (which I'm in) and The Cauley Was Brilliant But He's Had A Poor 18 Months Camp (which I can see the viewpoint of).

But not Hemsworth. He knew Cauley was finished BEFORE he came to Oakwell. Before he scored a load of goals in League One, and developed into a pretty decent championship striker. He was FINISHED after a loan spell at Bristol City when he was 23 years old.

What a visionary.

3. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think people are being a tad harsh on him here to be honest. Yes the last 12 months he hasn't been good, but neither has 95% of the squad. He also missed a big chunk of last season with injury which hindered his goal tally.

Aside from last season, he has hit double figures in the league every year he's been here. Including the season he was moved to attacking midfield by Struber. When fit, he is a good championship striker and would be a good option for a fair few teams in the Championship.

4. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They still count lol

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

To be fair the bristol city fans view on a 23 year old cauley is similar to some of our fans views on the 19 year old ivan toney we had on loan can still remember him been linked to us before brentford bought him very negative to say the least then when he went to brentford "if toneys worth that whats cauley worth?"

6. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh I agree.

But that's nothing to do with my point.

It would be akin to Brentford fans writing him off now due to a poor loan spell with us years ago.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yes some players have better times at different clubs for whatever reason toney wasnt that bad for us scored a few important goals was raw but could see his potential. As for cauley i can only judge him on his time here past 18 months hasnt been great but if he stays with us in league one i think i will get a good goal return. But i understand the club may want to get him off the wage bill.

churtonred likes this.
  8. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His last 12 months would probably earn him a move to Rochdale.
    I just think his passing and link up play would stand out more with better players around him and he would be a relatively cheap gamble for a Sheff U or Middlesbrough type club.
    Personally I think he dominates our team too much and would be happy for him to move on especially if it helps to keep Morris.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  9. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the one hand, there are some gorgeous little villages within a short distance of Ipswich. Thatched cottages and/or half timbered. Suffolk pink wash. Beautiful. He'd be set for life.
    On the other hand we have a load of talented top goal scoring forwards to replace him, don't we.

10. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's been injured for a fair part of it.

11. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He looked more threatening when he was out injured, compared to when he was actually playing lol.
    And he really must stop fiddling about with his shorts and pants during matches, or he will end up getting arrested. :cool:

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  12. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cauley Woodrow is the most well known player in our squad, I am sure he will be wanted by other clubs.
    It would be fantastic if we can keep him for next season.

13. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I hope we can keep Cauley for next season , he’s a good player and will stand out at league one level.

14. DazFrumTarn

DazFrumTarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    or
    Arnold Mühren

Kettlewell and churtonred like this.
  15. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The sooner the better

16. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The sooner the better what ?

17. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was certainly linked with a move to Cardiff City last summer and that was reported as a fee between £1-2 million. I would have thought that there would be competition for him at that price again, if he wants to move on, and we should see something of a competition for his signature. He is, after all, a proven Championship striker, so you would have thought that the promoted teams such as Wigan, Rotherham and Sunderland (especially if Stewart goes to Rangers) would be interested, as well as possibly Cardiff again. I think that we would sell at that sort of fee and it would be good to have a bit of a bidding war. I for one would feel okay with his staying on. His father's roots are in Rotherham, so I guess he feels as much at home in this part of the world as Hertfordshire, where he was born. We'll see, but I would think that Ipswich are unlikely to get their man this time. If they, we'll take Macauley Bonne from QPR.

18. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He has one year left on his contract. He is reported to be the highest earner at the club.

Put in to context a fee of £1m is £20,000 per week on top of his wages to secure him one year earlier than if he were to leave for free in a year’s time.

Based on the current financial position of the club, if he’s still here next season I would wager it is not by choice of the club.

19. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    My view would be based in whether there is actually an overall plan for where we try to get to by the end of the Summer - this needs to be two-fold both in terms of the squaring of the £7-8m financial circle and the characteristics of the squad we then assemble.

I like Cauley, I really do but under both Struber and then Val he has been asked to adopt different roles to those he had last time in League 1. He's acquitted himself admirably in both imho. However, over the last 12-15 months he's not been so good and seems not only to not be as sharp at getting into goal-scoring postions (Schopp/Poya may have some blame for that) but has lost a general yard or two, which may be injury-related.

He's never been lightning quick and isn't a target man but last time we were in League 1 he was surrounded by a very athletic and super strong set of first team colleagues (I remember the Gillingham fans calling us 'a team of decathletes' :D). It gave him the perfect platform to exhibit his excellent eye for goal and instinctive finishing. If the intent is to create a similar team this time round then I'm sure he'd thrive again and shoot us into contention but if left to shoulder the donkey work on his own I think he would find it tough. That's why I think it's important that the club need to have an overall plan so that they assemble pieces that fit together.

It may well be that the finances dictate 90% of the 'outgoings' and if you were to say we could only keep one of our better senior players it would be Morris for mine.

Connor likes this.
  20. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would like to hang on to both Cauley & Morris until at least january , in my opinion played as a two up top they have the ability to be the best pairing in the league , if by january we are in with a shout of going up then they might extend ,the other alternative is that strikers always fetch top dollar & if they are doing the business yet want to move on then there will be plenty of suitors .

Connor likes this.