Cauley Woodrow linked with Ipswich

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Archey, May 24, 2022.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd like us to keep Cauley and for him to be played to his strengths and to focus on putting the ball in the net. But he's our highest earner, even if there are any clauses that may limit his salary on relegation.

If Wednesday were the only club who came in with a reasonable offer and pay him what he wanted, I think we just have to make our peace that such a thing is likely to happen, unless we've got our heads above water from other player sales and cuts.

John Peachy and churtonred like this.
  2. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it just me that sees players like this as a huge risk? He had an unreal season last year and is a good age at 25 but his goal record is terrible other than last year which was great. Due to last season he will have eyes on him meaning there is more competition for his signature and you'd have to over pay possibly on wages. This for a striker who last season scored 24 in 27 which is insane, the season before in the same league for the same team he got 1 in 15. The two seasons prior to this also in L2 he score a total of 3 goals in 35 games.

Same with Alfie May who many are wanting Duff to bring with him. We would have to pay a fee for him which would be hyped due to last season for what is really a striker with a below average record over 6 EFL seasons followed by one good season.

TorontoRed likes this.
  3. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are they able to pay fees again at the moment? They were not allowed to last season were they due to sanctions I think so that could rule them out maybe.

4. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    every striker's a risk though. at least he's coming off the back of a brilliant season. I'd say we're not in the market for proven goalscorers from L1, so what are the alternatives?

5. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Who knows. At the minute it's just paper talk. Let's just see what materialises and what other players we receive actual offers for.

NathanBFC94 likes this.
  6. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea, good strikers are hard to come by, and the proven ones are very expensive. It is just a difficult position to recruit.

I do like the look of Tyreece Simpson who is available from Ipswich, not proven at all and young but has lots of potential and sell on value, probably rather go him over a Telford but thats just me.

7. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    We need to shift some of our forwards off our wage bill before we worry too much about getting more in. From his media interview, it seems Duff wants to carry on with a back 3 and ideally a 3-5-2 but didn't seem to rule out 3-4-3 either.

So you'd think 5-6 forwards is more than enough.

Woodrow, Morris, Leya Iseka, Schmidt, Oulare (supposedly loaned out already), Cole, Schmidt, Aitchison. Marsh, Bremang, Thompson. Thats a lot of forwards. Plus Oduor and Thomas might get a look in if we couldn't get rid if Duff went with a front 3 rather than 2.

8. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wasn't saying we need to go get some, I was replying to the post about getting rid of Cauley for Telford as an easy direct swap and pointing out the risks. My preference would be to keep Cauley and Morris with Aitchison and Cole/Marsh as back up and get rid of Schmidt and Iseka if possible while loaning out some of the younger ones like Bremang.

If we do lose Cauley though, then I would hope to see a new one come in to replace him.

Red CB likes this.
  9. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's really difficult isn't it? The players we'll be able to offload for a possible fee are the better ones who we'd likely want to keep. I think the only way we'll get rid of Schmidt before his contract lapses is to pay him off and we can't really afford to do that. Iseka has a bit of quality, but like so many, his effort levels collapsed and he just didn't get involved. I've a feeling we signed him on a 4 year contract so unless Duff thinks we can get something out of him, we really need to find a way of moving him on.

I'd really like to see us keep Morris, but I just can't see that. He will surely have attracted admiring glances being out top scorer last season in one of the worst attacking teams I can recall.

10. NathanBFC94

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So tricky, I actually think we are more likely to keep Morris than Woodrow due to his injury record, Morris is the main striker I want us to keep too. Hopefully some team overseas in Austria would want Schmidt even for a tiny fee just so we can get rid. We seem to be able to find him loan moves each season so clubs are somewhat interested. Hopefully Iseka's reputation from playing at some fairly big clubs will enable us to shift him on. Swear I saw he was linked to a team in Turkey recently but might be a load of rubbish. His brother does play in Turkey though so if true I am sure he would be interested in that move.

Connor likes this.
  11. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I wouldn't be suprised if he brought a new captain in, bearing in mind Luke Vardy's comment that he had a leadership group of players that he made him part of. Our present group of players hasn't really got what you would call a leader amongst them, one that that shouts and directs operations on field.

12. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The thing is if Cawley is our highest earner he isnt going to want to take a significant pay cut to leave a year early so given the constraints of SCMP he could only leave to a Massive club - as Sunderland went up and Derby are in no position to sign anyone there is probably only Portsmouth Ipswich or the Fowls who could realistically take in in L1. So I think unless one of those offers a salary close to what he is on now he would want to stay and run his contract down, hope for a decent season and then get a decent deal somewhere next year
    If we can get someone to pay us actual cash and take away the wages we would realistically have to sell him.- Id prefer him to go to Ipswich so he will be off to the Sty

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think it will be a case of the bigger picture. If we can get decent fees for Styles and Helik (who I think are the most likely to be offskis) that puts us in a better position to be a bit more discerning.

If we're struggling to move anyone on of significance, it may well be a case of a nominal fee, or even a free is attractive just to get a big wage off the books. And if no fee was involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see championship sides sniffing.

Well just have to be patient and see who comes sniffing.

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I would hope we can keep one of cauley and morris for next season. We should be able to get a decent fee for morris if there is interest with woodrow it will be more getting him off the wage bill as any fee we get 50% will go to fulham.

15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd love to keep both, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we start the season with either of them.

16. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sign him and they could field Cauley, Kayden Jackson and Chappers up front.

17. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only stick he got was on social media including this site. At no stage did I ever see him get the flack whilst on the pitch, (the odd shout yes). . In comparison to several others with boos ringing in their ears.
    I hope he stays (I believe he has a love for the club and its fans. and has been a great ambassador) . If not. Go to the highest bidder. not too fussed who. More things to worry about than him facing us. One player does not make a team.

Redhelen and churtonred like this.
  18. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Hate to say it but is Barnsley to Portsmouth or Ipswich a move to a bigger club? Yes, I know who that leaves..........:eek:

19. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From the player perspective all depends on the wages ,signing on fee length of contract.

20. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Fully agree, I just hope we don't have any gone to a big club, ambition, blah, blah if he goes to one of those clubs. It'll be purely for the money, which is fine if you're upfront about it

Bazza likes this.