Compulsory vaccinations

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tyketical Masterstroke, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing with this is - I could understand it if he simply mis-spoke and said it wrong. Anyone can do that. But if you watched it what actually happens is he says the double vaccinated account for 60% of hospitalisations, and then starts to explain why this is the case, attempting to justify the higher figure.

So the correction from him was indeed welcome and reassuring about the effectiveness of the vaccine, and a big relief, but very alarming that someone in such a senior position had been either badly misinformed or didn’t question that he was given incorrect numbers. Basically made him look inept.

BFC Dave and Tykeored like this.
  2. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Will most definitely get called for this but it was anti-Fauci merch not anti-vax.

Florida definitely getting hit hard by the latest surge in cases but still relatively low. They’re also at just shy of 50% doubly jabbed, which is over 11 million people and less than 1% behind the US average vs. population.

They’ve also remained open almost the whole time and despite having an ageing demographic most at risk to COVID, they haven’t been near the top of the death tables and aren’t in the top 25 currently for deaths per 100,000 of population.

SFOTyke likes this.
  3. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do they?

4. RamTam

RamTam Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When asked to explain the merch he said Fauci doesn't know what he's talking about, if the vaccine doesn't make you completely immune then what's the point in taking it.

It's the current growth in case numbers that's concerning people not the history of Covid in Florida. DeSantis is a populist lunatic using the virus to engage with an extremist base.

5. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you think the vaccine took less than a year to invent then you’re an idiot.

But yes, take the jab. Most of my friends are in their late 20s or early 30s and everyone that I’ve spoken to has had it without hesitation.

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I've had it but I'm nearer 40 but I don't share your opinion that people who don't have it are idiots or people should have it forced on them or there arms twisted into having it.

7. RamTam

RamTam Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't dispute that. I struggle with the concept that anyone likes or trusts Johnson and co.

All I'm doing is fighting the anti-vaccination sentiment that keeps cropping up in this thread. I don't care what the origins are I just try and put the truth out there as best I can.

8. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suppose it’s more hope than anything pal. Also, this lot are the kings of u turns when they see public reaction so there’s every chance this doesn’t happen.

9. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I literally said I don’t think people should be forced to have it.

10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I mean this is a pretty fair comment. At least our equivalent here haven’t chased the fan fare that comes with thinking you’re a celebrity, gone looking for that five minutes of fame, or flip flopped on masks.

Think your claims on De Santis fail to recognise Florida’s response and strategy to tackle Covid over the last 12 months. Front weighted their response towards the elderly and care homes and kept businesses open. The complete opposite to New York, who’s governor gets way less criticism despite all the sleaze and bullying that accompanies Cuomo everywhere he goes and resulted in flooding care homes with Covid. De Santis might not be everyone’s cup of tea, and in some cases he might be as you describe, but he’s done right by Florida on this one when you consider it’s age demographics.

SFOTyke likes this.
  11. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. RamTam

RamTam Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not sure how Cuomo being a criminal relates to DeSantis promoting Anti-Vax theories now that he and his main voter demographic are fully vaccinated.

They are both abhorrent human beings protected mostly by the extreme partisan politics in the US meaning do few are willing to take on members of their own party.

I do accept DeSantis has done some things well, but what he's doing right now isn't on. And with the rates of infection still rising in Florida they're far from out of the woods.

13. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As the virus is a potential killer. Those who refuse the vaccine will be considered anti-vaccine lepers. No entry to sports grounds, restaurants, hotels, supermarkets etc. will become the norm. I can't for the life of me see why folk refuse to take the vaccine. It's not like the bubonic plague jab I had in 1966 to go to Saigon, which knocked me out for 36 hours.

14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I struggle to understand why people are surprised that a section of society might not want the vaccine, considering the survivability rate of Covid and the fact that one vaccine was pulled after launch from a certain age group based on health concerns.

SFOTyke likes this.
  15. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't he sign a mandate or legislation that would stop any discrimination based on vaccine status? I fully support that

SFOTyke likes this.
  16. RamTam

RamTam Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He did. It also includes banning cruise ships leaving Florida from requiring people to be vaccinated when they come aboard... and even the public in Florida support vaccine requirements for cruise ships.

He's also banned mask mandates and pretty much all restrictions from being enforced by businesses.

I don't agree with forcing vaccine passports on people... but surely the decision whether to require a vaccine/mask/negative test to enter a busy business is within the civil rights of the business owner during a public health crisis not local or national government?

Surely if you dislike government interference on these matters then they should no more be banning vaccine passports than forcing them upon people?

17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Being pro non-discrimination on vaccine status doesn't contradict with welcoming legislation that stops that from happening.

I wore my mask in every setting I was required to, but the comms coming out of the US and here on their benefit has been mixed. Even this week a leading figure from SAGE (I think?) said they were nothing more than a comfort blanket. Fauci himself said they were a placebo and not effective, but then flipped and flopped on that one. That idiot on GMTV, Dr. Hillary I think, was last year saying how they don't stop the spread of the virus at all - but he changed his tune on that one.

That's why I'm surprised that such hate and venom can sometimes be thrown at people who disagree with certain stances and measures on Covid. There's evidence and statements from leading figures that would cause you to rethink your position on things.

SFOTyke, Sopwith Camel and Redstone like this.
  18. RamTam

RamTam Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That legislation, combined with the other laws he's putting in place, does discriminate against an employer trying to protect their employees when they can't ask for people to be vaccinated, customers to wear masks, social distancing, or proof of a negative test, despite the currently high infection levels.

It's not hard to see why people can get upset about it when you see it from both sides. (Not that I remotely condone some of the insults and aggressive statements made by others in this thread.)

Fauci flipped once on masks having originally told people not to buy them and has since admitted it was through fear of it causing a PPE shortage in hospitals. They started recommending masks in the US before we did and have stuck with it ever since. We most likely didn't endorse masks originally for the exact same reason.

19. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The more i read and follow this thread the more it demonstrates how crazy society is right now due to the COVID situation. Clearly people can find evidence to support their own position on things and in fact you can even find overwhelming evidence to support opposing positions. It shows how much fact is out there versus reporting stats and opinion pieces etc. Very little. Its one reason i havent taken a strong position either side. One fact is the government haven't forced a jab on anyone but they have introduced actions that motivate the 60% (or whatever stat you read) of young adults that are not vaccinated to do so. Its wrong for them to drive this agenda. We also have to understand that we wouldn't have nightclubs, events, sports open now if we would have had a low take up on the jab from the rest of society. The facts are we have to live with the consequences of our own decisions at a personal level and the knock on effect of decisions of others. Whether we agree, thing its wrong, right. like or loath or just indifferent. Every medical action carries a risk, we know the delta between Covid impact and blood clots in younger people is narrower. What this really means in practice of people dying of blood clots vs covid i dont know. We also know kids are in hospital as we speak with COVID (Some very young kids reported in other threads). We know that the vulnerable needed jabs first and that decisions have been taken not to directly save lives but to help the NHS make space to help save COVID lives. We are at a tipping point where individual decisions on the risk we all take will have knock on effects. Some will make society more open and some will close it down. The roller coaster isn't leveled yet.

20. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)