Defending Corners

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Hooky feller, Dec 5, 2021.

1. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We just invite pressure. Surely an outlet is better?

Redarmy87 likes this.
  2. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    When I played in goal at school in the late 60s/early 70s, we used the old 2-3-5 formation. Two full backs and a centre half against their 5 forwards. Good job we had some decent players, we won every single game without conceding a goal, for 3 successive seasons. Must admit though, we eventually changed to 4-4-2. Far too defensive these days, I agree.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  3. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we should leave one up top at least. Yes, we aren't coaches, but we are all students of the game in our own right (albeit some have a better grasp/clarity than others :D). We shouldn't give too much credence to the antics of coaches, particularly certain coaches of late (no names mentioned). Just because something is repeated again and again by a coach doesn't necessarily make it successful (as we well know, as Barnsley fans!). Football should have an element of risk, keep things fresh, switch things up - and don't keep eleven men back at corners.

4. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Quite a few are actually and most of West Brom's last few opponents have which has blunted the impact of Val's corners - think I'm right that the only one they've scored recently is the clear handball one yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if we have watched and learned when we play them next Friday. Surely, if you've got Collins, Helik, Andersen, Kitching, Morris and Woodrow you've got enough tall timber back to compete and Iseka, as one of the less slow (or Cole if he was on) could be left up. I'd suggest Gomes could be outside the box too as he's hardly gonna outjump Kyle Bartley :)

5. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I say, it’s not my tactic. I’d leave one on halfway and one between. But again, I’m not a professional coach / manager.

6. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s a terrible tactic in my opinion, unless the keeper collects the cross, you just can’t clear your lines, the ball is pumped straight back in. IMO All you need is a player out wide on either side not necessary on the wings and about 10 yards inside our own half. This would take 4 opposition players out of the box. Simples;)

7. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe it's something we can try in division 3 next season.:(

GeorgeRobledo likes this.
  8. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. It's the football equivalent of a BOGOF.

9. dav

davewhitt58 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The tactic of bringing everyone back at corners is probably the most frustrating and idiotic tactic we use. It creates panic at the corner and then again if and when the ball is cleared out because it comes straight back into the penalty area thus creating more panic. Not one if our defenders seems capable of kicking the ball out for a throw in these days to allow us to regroup. It’s surely not a risk to minimise the pressure on our defence by putting a man on halfway line and taking two of theirs from either the area or just outside it. Two would take three of theirs out. Personally I’d sack every one of our managers employing this tactic with immediate effect.

10. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem with leaving 1, 2 or even 3 up plus one would assume corresponding defenders from the attacking team is that it would leave vast spaces in the box, potentially giving the attacking side a better opportunity to control the ball and cause problems should they get it. In a packed area there's less chance of anything meaningfull happening from an attacking point of view.

11. Nottinghamtyke

Nottinghamtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not rocket science absolutely negative tactics, leave at least one player up as just inviting pressure otherwise. The ball comes straight back in without a chance of an out ball