Does anyone on here still think sacking Collins was a good idea

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Chef Tyke, May 22, 2024.

1. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thing about Collins is, he got us enough points to be in the playoffs, so from the outside looking in it will forever be seen as a strange sacking.

I get that his football wasn’t great and after Stevenage away, I was all for him not being here after the seasons end, unless there was some huge upsurge in form.

in hindsight of Cole, Kane, Cadden & Captain Williams departures being met with universal ‘meh’ , I think it’s clear that Collins did the best with what he was given, and maybe bore some but not all responsibility for his own unpopularity.

One thing that’s been clear all season is there has been little or no impact from the bench and on the few occasions a sub has earned a start, they’ve underwhelmed.

I think Collins was very unlucky with Pines injury and also Cosgrove poor form, as he was definitely in our plans to mix up the way we played. Collins said so himself.

I find it interesting that Bolton played the same way, slow and ponderous, but their fans rated them the best footballing team in the division. The only difference between them and us is they had better players and the luxury of a bigger squad.

I’m not sure there is much difference between Collins and Mr Grumpy apart from one’s still in a job despite failing to get promoted.

jptykes and Redhelen like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've been watching Barnsley since the mid 70s. Hands down the worst decision the club have ever made in that time. Nothing else has come close.

Do I get why some fans weren't enamoured by Collins? Yes, of course, a lot of the football was dull*. But until the last few weeks we were still in with the chance of automatic promotion, which makes the argument that we should have dismissed him a few weeks earlier entirely null and void.

That we sacked him with one game to go while in the play-offs (having already amassed enough points to secure a play-off place) is f***ing insane. Was the decision made by the board or the newly appointed director of football? I don't know. I do know our newly appointed director of football has never played or coached football at any sort of level, which is also f***ing insane. It's an absolute shower.

*We played the way we did for a reason. We sold about £7 million worth of defenders, and lost a £2 million rated loan player, and we replaced them with non-league players. I'm not exaggerating, that's what we did. Of course the manager had to try to protect the defence. I'm not having a go at anyone who wasn't entertained, I understand that, but I am still incensed by the vitriol and bile directed at a manager who was given inadequate tools to work with, but got us in the play-offs.

And after sacking the manager, they didn't even do the due diligence on their intended replacement to know he wouldn't get a work permit. We went into the play-offs with no manager and we lost. Of course we lost. I can't believe just how little come back they've had from this appalling decision.

They're in a position way above their station.

3. RedfearnsRocket

RedfearnsRocket Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with alot of this, did a decent job with what he had, said it before reverse the hone snd away form he'd possibly still be in a job.

Regards Bolton tons of their fans saying no plan B, split camp on Evatt in/out and some questioning Sharon Britain's plan, they think they've got problems

Redhelen likes this.
  4. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe we’ll get Evatt :) Bodvarsons been released as well. Scared me to death last season.

RedfearnsRocket likes this.
  5. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You mean when we were 3rd with a game in hand, on a run of 1 defeat in 20 odd games?

WG Red, Redhelen and fitzytyke like this.
  6. RedfearnsRocket

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nailed it.

They are all huddled up in the trench looking through the periscope to see when it's safe to pop their heads up

Redhelen likes this.
  7. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The standard of football on show was terrible. Some on here thought rightly or wrongly that some senior players weren't showing the expected level of commitment. Yes he was dealt a crap hand with the replacement players after the sales and loss of loans from the year before. It is fair to say he didn't have a lot to work with but what he produced looked poor, despite this we made 6th place..I think he's been the whipping boy for the board and is the sacrificial lamb to appease the disgruntled supporters. Lets see who they get in

Redhelen and fitzytyke like this.
  8. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You'd have sacked him when we were 4 points off second?

Shepley Red and Chef Tyke like this.
  9. fit

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One things for sure. IF they sacked Collins, they bowed to a noisy minority, and having been close to said minority at away matches, many are still living at home with their mams. It’s too daft to laugh at.

Acido Tyke, Django and Redhelen like this.
  10. arp

arpete Well-Known Member

educating the masses
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you imagine the atmosphere at Oakwell after the 1-3 loss to Bolton and the anger that would have been aimed at Collins? However to follow his sacking by the farce over Thalhammer just about sums the club up. Even a bigger **** up than our FA Cup exit.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. RedfearnsRocket

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess we'll never know the real reasons but either way crazy decsion at the time, which now looks even more stupid

Acido Tyke, Redhelen and fitzytyke like this.
  12. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    However we have supposedly recruited someone in so we don't make similar mistakes... Someone who is supposedly widely respected too.

That's worked out well

Shy Talk, Shepley Red and Redhelen like this.
  13. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can’t begin to imagine the unrealistic expectation that will be heaped upon whoever gets the job now.
    Whatever the results that are achieved by the next manager/ coach they’ll not be good enough for some.
    As someone famous once said - “pity the fool…”

Redhelen likes this.
  14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    And they've lost Cole, Williams, Kane, and Cadden. If we recruit like we did last summer, we're going down. Our squad is not League 1 standard. We need a good manager to keep us in this league. More than half of our squad is non-league.

Django, Shepley Red and Chef Tyke like this.
  15. winged avenger

winged avenger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said in another thread , Whoever comes in as the next manager needs to be as successful as Collins.Getting to the playoffs wasn’t good enough apparently

Redhelen likes this.
  16. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    100% correct decision, and the timing, well the dice had to be rolled. Didn't come off but now it's just important the next coach isn't a carbon copy of Collins. We need that high press, quick attacking style back.

17. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought it was the most insane and embarrassing decision in decades and my opinion hasn't changed.

18. lan

lannoy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep correct decision. Atrocious defensive record and just generally was breeding a drab atmosphere around the fans and dressing room. Did have us scoring a lot of goals but when you’re conceding 3 a game you’re never gunna win many matches. In the end came far too late and the board messed up thalhammer because they forgot about Brexit.

19. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You obviously all know my thoughts on this one, but I'll type them anyway whilst having my morning dump.

It was absolutely the wrong decision. Idiotic, short sighted, panicked.

And anyone who's replied in this thread to say it should have happened 6 weeks before, please don't dissappear. Please respond to the folk who have taken the time to reply. Please answer their questions about why we would sack a manager who had led us to 1 defeat in 18 and within touching distance of automatic promotion.

Answer it.

Or just read Jay's post. It sums it up perfectly.

20. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Precisely how I see it mate.

I have a huge dilemma about whether to renew season tickets as I really don’t want to endorse such rash, reckless and negligent behaviour

and I guess your accountability point is where I wanted to get to with this.

I don’t think it should be allowed to slide.

I want some answers. I think we deserve some. It’s utterly shambolic the way this club has been run in the last 12 months.