England vs. Slovakia

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SFOTyke, Jun 30, 2024 at 4:19 PM.

1. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another knockout victory for England under Southgate. He's our 2nd most successful manager ever.

Haven't had the time to listen to all the international failures in the studio try to criticise him today.

Onwards and upwards.

2. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No but other players have performed well in an England shirt.

For example Maguire kept his spot even when he wasn’t starting for Man Utd as he was consistently decent for England.

Foden doesn’t perform well for England but not only does he keep his spot fans clamour for him to have the team built around him.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 11:06 PM
  3. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    90 was a poor tournament all round, memorable for a few iconic moments, and the theme tune added some emotional attachment.

4. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just for all the comments saying Southgate was nearly out of a job. I firmly believe whatever happens he will be departing after this tournament. You just get a sense he feels it's time up.

Wuz1964 likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Express yourself, it's 1-on-1

RichK likes this.
  6. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought that if we did well he'd probably stay on for the next WC, as it's the real pinnacle, and then bow out.

dreamboy3000 likes this.
  7. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I also tried sticking up for him recently, but he was more annoying than ever today.
    The ref was awful in the first half, and then he let loads of their players off with further bookable fouls.

8. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Come on fonzie. We got very lucky though my grouse isn't with us not playing well.
    I've watched the Irish coverage of every game and their pundits are saying exactly the same as everyone else on this board apart from you and dreamboy and I think he's only doing it for the wind up.
    We played badly, got lucky, got through but please don't try and make out that's a plus in Southgate's column.;)

9. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Best football song ever.

Gazza, and his tears, and Lineker's little look to the bench. Platt's goal. Lineker actually shíttíñg himself on the pitch. Those close shaves for a goal in the semis. The penalties obviously.

All part of the national conscience.

wombwell-red, BrunNer and Merde Tete like this.
  10. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought those two games were cracking games unlike tonight. The only thing they had in common is that England were expected to win comfortably in all three.

Wuz1964 likes this.
  11. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely. It could be a tournament-defining goal. Very few teams win a major injury trophy without riding their luck somewhere or other along the way. The Germans have made a habit out of it.

sadbrewer likes this.
  12. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The two goals came from a bog standard flick on from a long throw, and a mis-hit shot following a corner being flicked back across the penalty area.
    We spent the match trying to keep possession and score the perfect Pep goal without mustering a shot on target and as soon as we adopted League 1 style tactics we scored twice.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  13. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Possibly. But just some of the interviews he gave had me thinking he feels it's time.

RichK likes this.
  15. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought we made it much harder for ourselves by just sitting back again in Et, for nearly half an hour.
    We made them look ten times better than what they are, in a game that should have been more comfortable.
    I don't feel sorry for them though, with their dirty fouls and time wasting and play acting.

Merde Tete likes this.
  16. DazFrumTarn

DazFrumTarn Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

17. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great song.

I meant Nessum Dorma though.

Stephen Dawson and DazFrumTarn like this.
  18. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In general I think Southgate’s done a pretty decent job over his tenure as England manager.

I didn’t think we were ready in 2018 & had a far weaker team & squad than we did in later tournaments. It wasn’t a surprise that a Croatia midfield with prime versions of Modric, Rakitic & Perisic were able to take over.

Fine margins in Euro 20 & 22 World Cup. I don’t think he did a lot wrong. I didn’t agree with every decision but none of us ever will.

This summer I think he’s completely lost the plot. I can’t make sense of how he’s picked his squad, the tactics or the subs.

Not having a single fit left back is baffling. He’s took Gomez presumably to be back up to that position as he’s played there a fair bit for Liverpool but he’s picked Trippier there who never plays the position for his club (if there’s only Trippier & Livramento fit, Livramento plays left back). Then today he brings Konsa on at left wing back who to my knowledge has only ever played right back & centre back for Villa.

Playing Trent in centre mid but then playing no forwards or wingers that stretch the opposition making his passing range completely useless. Then subbing him off & bringing runners on 5 minutes later in Bowen & Watkins.

Not giving Gordon a go. The whole country seems to feel the sides lacking a winger to stay high & wide & attack his opposing full back. It seemed the perfect chance to play Gordon today against a 37 year old right back but it didn’t happen again. I have no idea why we can’t use our wingers like the Spanish do or at least try to.

Conceding possession today in extra time was baffling. Just asking for trouble. We had the opportunity to bring on Wharton & Trent & dominate the ball & see the game out. Instead we went with a back 5 with a centre back at wing back & let them have the ball with them able to get several balls bouncing around in our box in the last 15 minutes. Our counter attacking option? Ivan Toney. A man who’s not exactly known for his pace.

Apart from dragging Gallagher off at half time in the Slovenia game I can’t think of a sub he’s made where I’ve thought that makes sense. At times it feels like he’s trying to get everyone an appearance.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 11:07 PM
  19. Dwr

Dwrawa Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Does anyone else think the way England play has echoings of how we played last season ?

20. Wuz1964

Wuz1964 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We got lucky tonight! Make no bones about it. But, in my opinion, strangely enough that was our best game.
    Let's see what happens with the Swiss.