Enjoyed that

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Archey, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Still a hell of a lot of work to do, but there was much more purpose about our play.

First half, we lacked that final ball. Styles and Benson were linking up well in the middle of the park, but the final ball just wasn't there.

Second half, especially the first 10 minutes, it just seemed to click. Cheltenham couldn't deal with us. They took the opportunity to make subs and slow play down, which disrupted our momentum. But a mistake by them (from Alfie May too I believe) let Thomas in, who was rightfully named man of the match.

Barring a couple of hairy moment, I thought we looked fairly comfortable. On the new signings, Connell is great. McCarthy played well too, did everything he needed to. Norwood was a nuisance, but seemed to be marked out of the game mostly. Cadden was switching play well until he went off.

We still need a couple of strikers. Cole didn't have much effect when he came on. Aitchison played well, but you can see he isn't a natural striker, and Marsh did okay, but isn't ready to be starting week in week out.

Many more positives than negatives though.

You reds!!!

2. Chi

Chippy red Well-Known Member

Agree mostly except I thought we improved considerably when Connell replaced cadden.
    Benson not bad, Thomas mom.
    Styles looked a bit sorry for himself.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Archey likes this.
  3. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Connell looks class - sits in front of back four and just gives the simple ball. Benson still a bit wasteful for me but big shout out to Thomas after all he's been through.

4. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree with Connell. He's a very good footballer.

I actually thought Styles didn't play too bad to be honest. Better than he did most of last season. His decision making was poor at times. The one where the ball set up nicely on his left foot 20 yards out, and he played it out wide to Kitching (I think) for example. A couple of times I thought he was going through the motions, but at some points, I thought he was trying his best to put himself in the be shop window.

If it's true about the lack of interest in him, I hope he knuckles down and puts the graft in until January at least. Because he could be a real asset at this level.

5. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Luke Thomas was excellent today. Exactly the player I was looking forward to seeing when we first signed him. My man of the match by some distance, even before he scored.