Help. I'm History.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Guest, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Gue

Guest Guest

Got to say that is so negative of the club,at a time when they are trying to build bridges,you should at least be able to get a look at the memorabilia even if they don't have a person there with knowledge of the items displayed.
    The Town Crest locally has a different meaning than to those of us who are far away and that is appreciated ,at Wembley for myself and others who post on here the Club crest being paraded on the pitch was both memorable and moving. I can understand why the council isn't popular though- I'm not a fan of ours!

2. Gue

Guest Guest

Red Flag or Yorkshire Rose

Anyone got any information on these two?

I thought that there would be more to the Yorkshire Rose but it seems as though more loyalty is placed with Toby Tyke as a logo.

As for the Red Flag I simply do not have a clue where this appeared from. I know it waved above the West Stand for bloody ages until the beginning of last season when they swapped it with the Crest. That and it was the manufacturer of the kit for a single season (and I'm willing to put my head above the line and say that the kit in particular was probably funded by the Club as it had no manufacturers labels). Anyone got anything on these?

Thanks again for everything you lot.

3. gaz

gazredtyke Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    RE: Red Flag or Yorkshire Rose

isn't the red flag/pennant summat to do with winning the FA Cup? sure thats wot I was told a few years back when I asked

4. Turvey Tyke

Turvey Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't be too hard on the club..

The truth is they cannot answer the questions your asking and there is a very limited amount of records and memorabilia held in the boardroom. I don't think your being fobbed off because apart from the 1912 Cup Final ball there is very little to see and there is nothing of relevance to the points your asking on this forum.

The lack of a proper display is something that the Supporters Trust is trying to address but it's very slow progress and the sad loss of Peter Jones is not going to improve matters.

Ultimately, I've found that if you want to know anything about the history of the club you've got to do the work yourself. So get yourself down the Archives section of the Library and see how it was reported in the Chronicle in 2003 for the Town Crest and 1986 for the Rose. You'll be finding answers that no-one on here can honestly give you.

5. Gue

Guest Guest

Spoke to my Father about this he says that when he went to a few games in the Fifties there was always a Red flag on the stand with "FA cup winners 1912" on it.

6. Gue

Guest Guest

Just wanted to say to Turvey Tyke that I wasn't meaning to sound hard on the Club. The exhibition had been travelling around and I just missed it but I was refused when asked. That's all. Nothing harsh. And I am trying to find things myself, through the Chronicle, the Club and through first hand experience—like the forums.

The point about the Red Flag is interesting. The flag I was looking at was the attached. It was on the west stand but a similar one appeared on the 03/04 kit I think (if memory serves me correctly). Does anyone know much about this?

Also, as a side point—after looking at the AFC Barnsley badge I find their choices interesting to represent the Club. Arguing that this is the most recent 'Barnsley' Badge—so to speak—is it deemed that the white rose and the mines are the best representation of the town? I'm not arguing a point, just looking for opinions.

7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We used the white rose style badge until peter doyle took over and he offered a vote to change the badge to something that supporters wanted. The options were to keep the rose, to change to the town crest, or to go back to the oak well badge, the crest won (obviously) and has been on the shirts ever since (though the form that it is in changes yearly with the words 'barnsley football club' moving around and the shape of the actual crest it sits inside changing or simply not being there at all.

Red flag was basically the club's merchandise label for a while, appearing on clothing and as the kit manufacturer on the shirt. It was used alongside the club badge and wasnt a replacement for it. It was never on the front of the shirt either, it was just on the back of the collar.

Toby Tyke logo: Used primarily on merchandise and on children's items, though for reason's unknown it is often used by the tv channels during barnsley games/segments. Perhaps an email to sky/bbc could help you find out why they don't use the official club badge.

Red Flag: Merchandise arm of the club, used as the name for the club's own brand merchandise. A bit like tesco 'value'range.

Crest: Chosen by a public vote in the peter doyle days (2003).

Oak well badge: Last used on the shirt in 1984/1986 on a kit made by umbro and sponsored by brooklands hotel.

Yorkshire rose: Replaced the oak well badge in 1986 on a shirt sponsored by sandal bayern. The exact design of the rose badge changed throughout the years.

8. Gue

Guest Guest

Very comprehensive.

I'll look into the 'public vote' but do you know how this was conducted?

9. Wuz

Wuzbrer41 New Member

Didn't the club?......

Have BFC sewn onto the shirt for the 75/76 season? (dunno)

10. Turvey Tyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They had BFC on their shirts as early as

1905 but I don't think this counts as a badge.

11. Gue

Guest Guest

RE: They had BFC on their shirts as early as

When you say BFC do you mean like the attached picture?

I think it's difficult to assess what adorned the Club's kit as in the early years, possible even into the late 50's the strips were plain club colours. But I'm sure that there were exceptions to this. BFC and the CREST possibly being them?

12. Turvey Tyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't recall that there ever was a vote.
    </p>

14. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please don't associate the crest with the Council

The Council - and the unelected bureaucrats who really run the show - are just a worthless bunch o' tossers who won't be around forever. Eventually they'll be replaced by another worthless bunch o' tossers.</p>

The town crest represents Barnsley the town, and the elements that made it what it is today. It (the tarn) will be around forever, and I for one am immensely proud of it and of the crest that represents it.
    </p>

15. Gue

Guest Guest

RE: Please don't associate the crest with the Council

I'm unsure if the crest is an automatic association with the council, but when a bill drops on your doorstep, or other letters or notifications (the majority of which are bad) all with the crest emblazoned on them you're probably going to end up thinking 'council' when you see it.

I think it's a shame too as it's the TOWN crest not the council's but do you think a F.C's crest should incorporate the Clubs history alongside the towns or simply the town?

At the moment, personally, I just see the town symbolised. The Club plays second fiddle to a bit of text and I think it's a shame. I wish we could get the council a new crest as I agree with you 100% on that lot.

16. budmustang

budmustang Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I do

Can't remember any details though.

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    there was definetly a vote. I may have got the options wrong on which badges were to be voted for though, it could have been the rose, toby tyke badge and crest.

Not sure how it was done but I suspect it was through the official site, a phonecall to rob knowles should help as he was editor back then too and will probably remember putting it on.

18. Gue

Guest Guest

I'm trying to find information on the consultation that took place but so far I've come to nothing. The only thing I have dug up, which might set something off, was that the Club changed it's badge to appease the Council when Doyle was looking for funds—and apparently looking to put a percentage of the tax into the Club.

Again this is not my view and simply a finding. But an interesting finding nonetheless. I initially thought there was
    Council involvement due to them co-owning the property. Again, not a fact but food for thought.

Any other ideas/facts/conspiracies?

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    hmm it was assured by peter doyle that the vote was entirely fair and was just for fans to vote on. You might get some luck by contacting him directly and asking him maybe?

20. Gue

Guest Guest

Like I said I'm not saying it's right—he flatly denied it when announcing he was off—but it's all I can dig up.

Regardless I wonder why he wanted a vote? Was it the old 'to make a mark that this is my reign' king of thing or simply because the Club needed a change or to re-align itself with the town?