Here's one...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Deafening Silence, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We can let the government remove the right to protest. We can let the government remove our citizenship for no reason at all. We can let the government strip powers of judges. We can let the government sell off independent news channels and infiltrate the BBC. We can let the government change boundaries to make it easier for them to amass larger majorities and less likely to lose power. We don't mind that legislation is introduced to prevent people from voting (which are more likely not to vote tory). We manage merely a whimper when our government covers up lies, fraud, corruption and cronyism.

But F me sideways.... midget gems???.... how dare anyone meddle with their name!!!!!

2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Imagine if it went back to Jif. We'd be Cifless.

3. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ‘Letting them get away with it’ :D it’s one shop changing the name of one of their sweets.

It makes me laugh that people mock someone for wanting something changed because they are so pathetic to be upset about something as inconsequential as the name of a sweet and end up being that exact person, being upset about the name of a sweet.

4. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's why I couldn't resist sharing it. Changing the name of sweets... it's the road to ruin... society is doomed...

Stephen Dawson and Redhelen like this.
  5. Zeb

Zebedee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Midget Gems still exist?!

Bring back Tab Clear I say.

6. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes but it is because of people with your attitude they get away with it. Yes it's only a sweet but that sweet was around before wholeness was invented. You cannot change bloody history its been and gone

7. Deafening Silence

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who are "they"?
    And this isn't about changing history, that's the statues thread.
    They will always have been called midget gems until January 2022. Then they will be mini gems. This is about a more inclusive future.

JamDrop likes this.
  8. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is a strange one. We have to also ask: when would that ever really come up in conversation or be used against a short person i.e. 'midget gems' as a form of insult? Most people don't even know midget gems exist any more. The person in question is offended by the term, to such a degree that they have got the name changed. More power to them - I couldn't care less personally - but it seems excessive. Obviously 'midget' is offensive, but surely the percentage of people that use it to that end is minuscule, and they would be shot down, rightly? To change the name of midget gems because of it seems far-fetched.

For context, I was good friends with a short person when i was at university and i've no doubt that he would have found the name change ridiculous, simply because it is a very niche reason to be offended. He would also probably argue that short people have bigger things to worry about. One thing that really used to bother him, and completely understandably, is that people used to pick him up in clubs. He was in his twenties, and this was an act of humiliation and never acceptable. He was also terrified of large dogs, again, understandably. I used to go drinking with him and his size never came up in conversation, either in his circle of friends or from random punters. Besides the picking up in clubs, I'm sure he suffered discrimination verbally at some point in his life, but not to the extent that he'd change the name of midget gems; he was more likely to speak out regarding job opportunities/equality for people short in stature. He was a positive guy and made the most of his lot, and the people around him loved him. His size (arguably) cost him his life. He died in a car crash in 2009 (crushed to death), and the other two regular-sized occupants in the car escaped with broken arms. He was a lovely lad, people turned up en-masse to his funeral in superman t-shirts due to his love of DC/Marvel etc. I've never seen so many people at a funeral. It puts things into context when you compare it to being offended by midget gems. RIP Daz.

Austiniho and Stephen Dawson like this.
  9. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You make your mouth say anything. And "they" are all the woke left wing do gooders that seem to run the world these days. That is my opinion if you don't like it then twiddle your thumbs or something

10. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    When can i now use the word "midget"?

As far as I can make out, it is used to define either a small person or a small thing.

Be it a sweet or otherwise.

ringo likes this.
  11. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Inclusive how? I would put money on that fact that the immediate concerns of people with a small stature revolve around money and housing and wages and utility bills like the rest of us, not the fckn name of a sweet. I might be wrong, but I doubt it. Just a massive distraction to get people arguing about **** that doesn't matter while we are ALL exploited by the ruling classes.

Redarmy87 likes this.
  12. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is bang on.

wakeyred and Stephen Dawson like this.
  13. Deafening Silence

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're totally entitled to your opinion, but if you can just point me to the woke left wing government you think are running this country I'd be very grateful.
    If changing the name of something makes a group of people feel better about themselves and doesn't affect anyone else other than in the way that they can fake outrage and make up fanciful conspiracies about "woke leftists" who despite being "snowflakes" are running society into the ground, then I suggest that my opinion is let a freely owned company do what's best for their customers, and if you don't want to shop at Marks and Sparks, go find a right wing supermarket and stock up on Faggots in Gravy, Cheese Puffs and Blackjacks so you can gaze lovingly at them as they represent all that is right in the world.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  14. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    These days…

TitusMagee likes this.
  15. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said you make your mouth say anything I did not say anything about government I said left wing woke do gooders and changing names of things that have stood for decades does effect every body that has bought that particular product so please just don't talk out of the top of your hat

16. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  17. Deafening Silence

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You said left wing do gooders that seem to run the world.
    I simply asked you to point these people in positions of power. Unless you just made your mouth say something.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  18. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. Seems like she's wasted a cause if that make's sense. After her appearance on eight out ten cats and the bit of fame this hysteria brings her. She'll be remembered as the person who invented "mini gems".

Redarmy87 likes this.
  19. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Precisely like I said SEEMS to run the world not actually any government just "snowflakes" with big gobs . Does that suit you

20. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, if anything it will have an adverse effect and bring negativity to short people - who just want to get on with their lives mostly - and makes a mockery of the real, everyday struggles that they face. As I said in my post, they have bigger things to worry about. And we cannot spark outrage and change everything when one person becomes offended. As for the word '******', mentioned by a poster above, that is an actual word. A former colleague hated that word, but he wasn't about to burn the local chippy down for selling actual faggots. What are we proposing with that one, ban the word '******'? There are hate laws for a reason, we don't need to ban or change words in order to enforce the law.

Stephen Dawson likes this.