Homelessness

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by e-red, May 15, 2022.

1. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Those that look down on the homeless should think to themselves...there go I but for the grace of God....i know I do
    Nobody really knows their story or what they've gone or are going through, so who are we to judge
    Many moons ago, I knew a lass who's father ( now deceased) struggled with cronic depression, after witnessing his best mate killed in a work accident narrowly escaping death himself
    He had a comfortable life like most ..came from a close knit loving family and in the grand scheme of things didn't need anything, he was healthy and whilst liking a drink never drank to extreme...however he turned to drink to cope with the guilt, he felt for not being able to save his friend and the fact he survived and his friend didn't
    Do to the drink it cost him his marriage his kids and his home...he lost all purpose in life no matter how much his family and the authorities tried to help...he ended up sleeping rough and ended up some years later in a homeless shelter in Leeds
    For years his daughter searched for him after losing contact with him...she too suffered from depression... the worry of her dad's illness and refusal to get help laid heavy on her shoulders by the time she found him some years later in the Leeds shelter...he was totally embarrassed by his life style and rejected her love and any assistance she offered
    It was heartbreaking to watch
    Two weeks after finding him she was informed he had passed to spirit after he purposely walked into the path of a bus...dying instantly

it could happen to anyone of us...nobody knows what's around the corner so to speak .or how folk react ..life is a law to its self.
    I think there's a saying that says most folk are only 2 pay checks away from poverty and losing a roof over their head...

Scoff, Connor, Redhelen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you mean by ‘ fitting my agenda’ I call you out for being ignorant then so be it, you are ignorant..
    …Ignorant to negate saying that the Civil Service is also not typical typical, the DWP wages for example, are far lower than other govt, depts, indeed, many are just a few pence an hour higher than minimum wage ( for experienced workers with years of experience)
    …Ignorant to acknowledge mine is much more than my opinion, it’s based on working over 18 years in the DWP. I left the Private Sector, for a sizeable drop in salary. I weighed up that against what, (at that time), was a decent Pension Scheme which was only marginally better than the Private Pension Scheme. Job security and the work patterns. I can assure finance wasn’t the reason.
    Since joining the Civil Service in 2003 the pay, terms and Pensions have constantly been attacked to the extent where I couldn’t retire simply based on that Pension. That’s why I say you haven’t a clue when you talk about only the Private Sector being hammered , when in truth, most occupations have been.
    I didn’t find my private sector job way harder than my public sector job, both had their challenges, difference was, the Private sector company made changes to better the customer experience and. ( no doubt profit margins) whereas the Public sector is all about the political desires of the govt of the day

JamDrop and Watcher_Of_The_Skies like this.
  3. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

4. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    From a personal pov, yes when I worked in the civil service HQ it was cushy, but that was a long time ago and things have changed. When I worked in a supermarket I could have a laugh and probably get away with minimum work but now in both its targets, less staff, a far more complex application and interview structure to even get either job. Workers are being shafted, the civil service pension is nowhere near as generous as it used to be.

e-red, leeupo and North Yorks Red like this.
  5. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If anyone who believes this is about there being ‘too many’ civil servants, I’ve got some magic beans to sell you.

This is about making 90,000 civil servants redundant, that we’re gonna pay for. They’ll then be replaced by contractors, who will be shortlisted and fast tracked largely based on their funding of the Tory party.

And we’re gonna pay for that as well, your tax ££’s feeding straight into contracts who will then contribute some of those £s straight into keeping the Tories in power. With the added bonus that there’ll be tens of thousands of underpaid contractors claiming benefits (more of your £s) to top up their wages with benefits.

I’m not getting into a private v public sector debate, after 40 years there’s no movement on that discussion.

But I will say, that after 40 years of creating a market in public services, there’s no apparent increase in productivity and the cost has gone up exponentially;)

6. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, I acknowledge that the Private sector has had its share of **** from this govt, particularly those that are not connected in some way to a govt. minister or their families/cronies. What I don’t do is do what you did and weighed into the public services have had it all good mantra and be thankful you’re not in the private sector, not your words granted, by the way you posted it was your mantra. Don’t tell me not to debate or discuss or anything for that matter

Donny-Red likes this.
  7. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tarntyke
    You’re just making stuff up again now pal.
    You don’t even seem to understand the term debate, you just slagged me off, no debate just chucking out insults, seeing things how you interpreted them.
    Anyway you are on ignore now because you simply aren’t worth the trouble!

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  8. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I know a couple of people got them back in less than a fortnight. Mine has gone for printing and even with a probably 2 week delay where I needed to provide a new photo (and I didn't get round to it immediately), it's taken 4 weeks so far.

Redhelen likes this.
  9. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it possible that someone made a fuss about massive delays in order to make bringing in a contractor more palatable?

I mean… they wouldn’t do that, would they?

Redhelen and Scoff like this.
  10. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And in unrelated news; the right wing press has just moved up a gear on its attacks on the NHS.

Where do we think this is heading?

And those of you who will be sat reading the Express nodding in agreement; you should realise when you’re being played to this extent.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you a link please.

12. Don

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Google Daily Express NHS

Also The Sun

I know they’ve never been big fans, but it seems to be ramping up.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Redhelen likes this.
  13. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I entered debate, and said you didn’t ‘t understand and were thus ignorant about the Civil Service and I haven ‘t read anything that you ‘ve posted to make me change that, all you did was jump into the old argument of public services v private sector and took umbrage when challenged. I don’t give a **** about you putting me on ignore, I debated and put examples for my opinion. Grow a pair, if you ever read this.

Donny-Red likes this.
  14. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s amazing how aggressive nice people get on this board.