Hourihane

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jack Tatty, May 18, 2021.

1. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really don't get the Hourihane love in he was at our club for 2 1/2yrs for 18months he was nothing special then penny dropped he needed to add more to his game and be fair he did. Then he wanted out just as much as the rest winnal included I understand he did it in more thought out manner and not to s6 but it amounts to the same thing . When he scored for villa he ran half the length of the holt end pointing to the name on his shirt ,last night he was wasting time on every dead ball he had towards the end which is fine he plays for Swansea now but let's not pretend he cares anymore than any other ex player.

Chopwell Red and RedVesp like this.
  2. Red

RedVesp Guest

Careful, there are some ex-players and managers you just can't say stuff like this about... ;)

Chopwell Red likes this.
  3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His first season with us he scored 14 goals.....

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=55228&season_id=144

His second season with us he reached double figures again with another 11 goals......

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=55228&season_id=145

He played 100+ games between those two seasons. Never injured, never rested, never suspended. Scoring a goal on average every four games. Chuck in a few dozen assists too. If he was nothing special in his first 18 months with us then let's have a few more nothing special players.

4. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some people are just ungrateful.

5. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the stats dreamboys but I would believed you without the links but I think he was far more all round player in the last 12 months who was capable of playing at a higher level. I think he is very well spoken and intelligent youngman but cares more than the average ex player no.

6. Red

RedVesp Guest

I think it's just some of just don't understand the reverence a few players are shown.

I get it with players like Redfearn, Murphy, Glavin, etc but not Hourihane. He was amazing for us, but didn't stick around long enough to become a true great for me I'm afraid.

Redhelen likes this.
  7. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me, Conor was a classy midfielder who created many chances for his teammates and scored more than his fair share of goals. He was also a terrific captain and leader. Why others want to rewrite history and complain about some of us who like and respect him is beyond me.

8. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So given the length of time players are currently staying with us there will be no one to revere going by your reasoning.

GudjonFan and RedVesp like this.
  9. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Appears to be a dislike for players to try and better themselves. Granted some might get too big for their boots but don't get some of the flak that gets aimed at certain players at times.

Redhelen and JLWBigLil like this.
  10. Red

RedVesp Guest

Unfortunately, probably so!

But I think that's a problem with football, not just Barnsley. Players are urged to move on more often, chasing ever increasing signing on fees and the lure of a bigger weekly wage. It's sad really.

Redhelen likes this.
  11. tomaiba

tomaiba Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you seen Swansea play a lot this season or just judging him on one game?
    Dike also had a very quiet game, my friends are asking me why I rate him so highly but it's the first time they've ever seen him play.

12. Red

RedVesp Guest

I don't give any of them flak, but I don't hold them with the same esteem as most other fans. I appreciate what they do while they're here, but once they're gone it seems like a waste of effort and emotion to keep those feelings going.

I might be weird, but that's just how I work.

13. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alternatively, you could get a player who has given it their all for the club but then the owners might not pay them what they deserve. It works both ways. It isn't always the player that orchestrates moves. If they're going to pull a decent fee, we might get shut to balance the books. Nothing wrong with that, but not the player's fault either. I wouldn't deprive a player from high regard for that.

14. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It also means that the likes of Ashley Ward & Craig Hignett can't be legends, either, as both were at the club for a lot shorter time than Conor.
    Thankfully, as this isn't a dictatorship, we can choose who we like, rate and view as legends, rather than any individual insisting they know best and setting rules unilaterally that their views are all that count.
    :D:D

Thrappo Tyke, Redhelen and TitusMagee like this.
  15. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Conor Hourihane was the key element and captain of a team that produced the most astounding season I've ever witnessed following the Reds. They were unstoppable in the second half of that season and won two trophies. Some of the victories were majestic.
    There aren't many legends. He was one.

16. Red

RedVesp Guest

Yeah true, but that doesn't really change my "out of sight, out of mind" policy.

Once a player or manager leaves, 99% of the time I'm over them in 5 minutes.

17. TitusMagee

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Guess it is just personal choice. I like to see ex-players do well if they've put a shift in for us and will keep an eye on their progress.

Redhelen, JLWBigLil and RedVesp like this.
  18. Red

RedVesp Guest

Ooh, now there's a quandary, both superb players!

Ward was a proper forward, loved him for the short time we had him, but again, a true great? Not for me.

Hignett missed that pen against Huddersfield, so no, not a true great :D

19. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm quite relaxed about who I believe are quality players and legends. I don't let anyone' else dictate to me what should or shouldn't be the criteria. They're entitled to their views & opinions, but so am I.:)
    As it happens, Ward, Hignett & Hourihane are all in my all-time favourites Barnsley XI.

Redhelen and RedVesp like this.
  20. Red

RedVesp Guest

100% agree. What makes someone a legend depends completely on your own point of view. There's no criteria for hitting legendary status, it's all down to your own feelings.

JLWBigLil likes this.