If you were Schopp and wanted away ...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Mr Badger, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What would you do?
    Pick your worst team, put players in daft positions, pick Woodrow as captain, appear lost for any solutions whilst at the same time thinking what the hell am I doing here when I could be yodelling in the Austrian mountains.
    He can't wait to leave. It was not his best move to come to us.

Kettlewell and Stephen Dawson like this.
  2. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a brave move trying to follow a successful manager with fans having elevated expectations. I'd love to know what he was promised. I think much has conspired against him but he hasn't helped himself. It was a glory or bust move. I think he's bust.

Old Gimmer, churtonred and Redhelen like this.
  3. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    5hit in the Ceo's swimming pool. It would be the only thing to spark him into life.

4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d contact the CEO/Owners and have an honest conversation.

Redhelen likes this.
  5. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not knowing the players it's obvious why he picked Cauley for captain, on paper it makes sense.

6. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it was his best move to come to us, he will shortly be on his way with a great big bulging wallet for failing , easy money !!!

7. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm of the opinion that Woodrow was chosen as captain by forces higher than Schopp.
    It was the only way to make him stay, plus a bit extra in his pay packet.
    What a poor decision it has been.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  8. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The guy is picking teams who will get him the sack...performance related contracts that stop big payouts for failing need to be the way forward

Stephen Dawson and Kettlewell like this.
  9. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I can understand the call for this given our league position, but how is that going to happen in a way that a coach gets little compensation? Clubs sack people all the time. Usually after a tiny wobble. If you look at our situation we're having a spate of injuries, likely because we never got the base fitness into the players in the crucial close season. Recruiting has virtually nothing to do with our coaches, and Ismael, and slightly Struber aside, our coaches get given what they are given. Schopp asked for experience in midfield and didn't get any. We got two kids on loan who've never played proper competitive football.

We can't blame Schopp for those aspects, so a significant contributing factor for our failings are down to who ran the club in the summer and failed to respond swiftly enough to have contingencies in place.

There will (well... should) be a whole section in Schopps contract covering what happens in terms of severance, and he's entitled to it.

John Peachy and Old Gimmer like this.
  10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Daft team? There was one player playing in a position he isn’t used to due to all of Anderson, Kitching, Halme & Sibbick been unavailable.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  11. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep. if his current contract says he gets compensation then he should get it..I'm an advocate of some sort of performance related agreement going forward. I also remember doing interview training and being told its a two way street not just what we want but what you want..therfore It's fair to belive that he looked at BFC from top to bottom before signing which would include fitness measurements and current injuries..also there would be guarantees of our ambitions for the club and these would be part of the deal..if he was sold a dud he has the right to hold the board to account..
    On the injuries front what worries me is nobody gets a "knock" for a game or two...all injuries now seem long term and we as fans are sold the "two weeks away" mantra. only my opinion but it feels like the players don't support the manager and if this is the case there's only one way to go..
    For the 1st time since the administration period I am concerned for the long term survival of our club and relegation could be the catalyst.

Apologies for rambling on.....

12. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We'll sadly never know what he was told or how aware he was of how depleted we were behind the scenes. Some things are going to be taken at face value, and given he was following on from a play off finish, it's fair to assume the buildings blocks of what he needed would be there.

As for short term injuries, Styles returned to start last night and only missed one game. I do think we're hampered by the summer carnage that saw upheaval the likes I don't ever recall (though doesn't mean there isn't one or two examples somewhere in our history). We've regressed just about everywhere.

As for the future. I'm extremely worried too. Not just about performances and decision making at team level, but more existential than that. We're no longer in a position where the owners care about the club. And if its in the best interests of the owners, they won't think twice to take decisions that hinder the club.

Conflict at board level (especially in SME's) rarely assists a business in the short term, until its resolved.

Skinner and John Peachy like this.
  13. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the club will have to file for Administration next season,if it is relegated. If they then start the season on minus 12 points, there is a potential for another relegation. All through poor planning, management of the club and a major loss of income. I don't think the ownership understand that Bfc cannot function without the 6 million pounds from the EFL,or loans from an owner. Plus income from player sales.

Skinner and Stephen Dawson like this.
  14. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even allowing for injuries it's still a decent squad to pick from. I'd start with Hondermarck and Gomes in central midfield and couldn't care less. If Styles, Brittain and Woodrow never play for us again.

15. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably our 3 best players along with Helik.

Seriously?

16. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe when I've calmed down a bit. I'll see it differently mate.