IFS verdict that major parties not being truthful

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by MDG, Jun 24, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. Dwr

Dwrawa Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see that side , and it certainly wasn't my intention - all I can say is that these things will have to come out in the wash - to what degree they are implemented (If they are) remains to be seen. Do any of these candidates give me the feeling they can drag the country off it's knees? Not in the slightest - What we need to see is an authoritative figure - KS may well prove me wrong and as I mentioned I hope he does for all of our benefit. I'm just not convinced - they have been very cagey when it comes to taxes and their definition of a 'working man' . Alot of us work - and exceptionally hard - we are now doing so for - in real terms - less money. My concern is tha it will be for even less money

2. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tbf I only looked because it was a name I didn't recognise - I was just intrigued as to whether it was a new poster. I realise people have lives (I don't, I live on here), and so some people don't post as regular as others.

And its not necessarily because he's "blowing smoke" like you say. Just that he was positing falsehoods.

3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    That's blatantly untrue too. And the first half of your sentence really does put you in a different light.

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'll gladly take you at your word that there was no intention.

We will have to see how things pan out. I think what we always have to consider is just how vicious and shameless the right wing media is and how it will misrepresent and lie to divide and influence.

Labour may well increase taxes. Lets remember, they haven't seen the finances yet and won't til they are in power (if that happens) and since the last OBR report, the tories have cut NI, pledged to increase defence spend, spaffed more on Rwanda and allegedly have put forward significant funds for PO settlements. So I think given weak economic data for unemployment, retail sales, government debt and general GDP its fair to think something will have to give in the short term for the new government.

I can't see how they attack the lower and middle income earners though. That would make no sense to me.

5. winged avenger

winged avenger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are there any political forums where you might be better off airing your views ?

6. Dwr

Dwrawa Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was definitely none whatsoever - the last thing I'd see the point in doing is coming on here after a 5 year exodus and winding folk up as it's pointless - so I apologise if that's happened

I think for the greater good this country should have things that are common to every party and possibly more transparency with the state of the financials as it's always down to us as taxpayers to foot the bill. I suppose if I dont like it if something happens then I shut my pie hole and sell up and live abroad ! The downside would be not seeing the reds in action every other week.

7. Dwr

Dwrawa Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    probably !! every days a school day and all that !

8. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Selling up and moving abroad is rather difficult these days thanks to a certain referendum a few years ago....

9. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you tried getting through to the surgery at 8am? The broader point was people not turning up for appointments is not a black and white issue. How do you know and prove when someone has a genuine reason? Someone in the middle of a depressive spiral doesn't turn up for 2 appointments, then gets a £50 fine. Lovely eh? Family death. Do you take it on face value or ask for a death certificate? Etc etc..

Then there's the big admin overhead on this which probably outweighs the value of the £50 fine. You need an appeals process and handling of people who don't or won't pay. All by overworked admin staff in gp surgeries. It's just not worth it, which is probably why this isn't a thing already.

10. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I have tried and that's another issue in itself which needs sorting. But like the other poster said the nhs loses 600million a year from missed appointments. Like said I'd give one chance after that a fine. I've never just not turned up for a g.p appointment when I read notices all over my surgery saying about it I can't believe people actually do.

And obesity costs the nhs billions each year, I find it odd we've cracked down on smoking but have so many obese people. Maybe warnings on sugary fatty foods would be a good idea.

11. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    If you actually read the manifestos you'd see how they're planning on funding it all.

"Revenue from closing further non-dom tax loopholes and investment in reducing tax avoidance": £5.2 billion
    "Revenue from applying VAT and business rates to private schools": £1.5 billion
    "Revenue from closing carried interest tax loophole": £565 million

If you want to read how they plan on spending that money, feel free to look on here: https://labour.org.uk/change/labours-fiscal-plan/

12. Dwr

Dwrawa Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that will only scratch the surface - but they are still taxes that they plan on imposing. Time will tell!

13. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The depression point is a really good one. I know from personal experience that someone has cancelled appointments when in a really dark place. If that person would have been fined as well it could potentially have been catastrophic. Sometimes people dont think before making the statements they do-it's all easy, straightforward obvious stuff. Trouble is its not.

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  14. KamikazeCo-Pilot

Style:
    Barnsley
    Read my response to Watcher and see if you can think of an alternative. Also, with regards to obesity its not just about food its genetic for some people. Things are more nuanced.

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I get some of obesity is genetic but I think alot of it is to do with the processed *****, fast food and sugary drinks we get pushed on us. Some of those energy drinks have pushing 30g of sugar in per can how is that good for anyone's health?
    America has biggest problem in the world with obesity we have the worst in Europe its not all hereditary.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 9:31 PM
  16. KamikazeCo-Pilot

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree its not all genetic. I also think youre right about the UPF's. They sound really bad and we could all do with thinking about them...

17. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Labour could have me or you as leader this time & they’d win comfortably.

The Tories feel like the equivalent of a goalkeeper been paid to lose these past couple of years.

18. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quite a few of them have ensured they will be paid if they lose.

Django and Bazza like this.
  19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

And sorry I did read your response. Its a hard one with depression I agree. But missed appointments cost the nhs 600 million a year, obesity billions. It can't be just oh well just tax the high earners more to compensate, at some point people need to take abit of responsibility too.

20. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Comparing Starmer to Hitler is a bit of a stretch!

JLWBigLil and Bazza like this.