Interesting update posted on Conway Out FB page

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by NorfolkRed, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The national media attention will have an impact.

Juat wait and see.

Stephen Dawson, redrum and Redhelen like this.
  2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Potentially. I guess it depends on the proposition and who's fronting it. If there was a serious hostile bid for example, they wouldn't necessarily go through the Trust. I imagine there would be direct contact with the CEO.

Stephen Dawson and Redhelen like this.
  3. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why can’t they name the prospective new owners or are they part of the current consortium

4. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's Chien Lee and Paul Conway taking over from Paul Conway and Chien Lee.

5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Because those expressing an interest in taking the club forward don't wish their identity to be known. Pretty straight forward and common.

6. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed, and the government do it all the time, have the working classes fighting against each other, rather than the rich, powerful or establishment. However, I don't think it's something we can publicly accuse the 80%ers or Paul Conway himself of without more facts (unless I've not read/heard something he's said).

7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's hardly any board members so they'd only be taking their pick from me, Gally, Hicksy and two of the SLO's.

Considering how quick we reacted to the West Stand debacle, the interview on Radio Sheffield, the first rumour of moving from Oakwell, and the questions we asked at the CEO Evening, anyone suggesting we're a mouthpiece for the owners have probably got a hidden agenda or a dislike. Nothing suggests any of us are that mouthpiece.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  8. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I must admit, I'd not really considered the supporters trust and how it may have evolved over the years. I was a member way back in its early inception and really enjoyed the events that were put on back then while John Dennis was Chairman.

It's a real shame if numbers have dwindled.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  9. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I got a ban for typing too fast!!

10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was referencing the board more than members - probably attributed to Covid/Lockdowns and no FanZone/Events.

Used to be way more events back then. Attendance was decent without being amazing, unlike now where folk just aren't that interested in going to an event/meeting in large numbers.

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a shame about the Fanzone as it was expected back months ago.

12. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Covid certainly can't have helped with any events at all, and not surprising really. But if we're coming out the other side, maybe there will be more appetite for them in the future. But I guess the club have to play ball too to put people up on a pretty regular basis.

Fingers crossed numbers hold or increase. I hope I'm wrong, but I get an uneasy feeling that the Supporters Trust will be called upon more as our owners hands are played more obviously.

Redhelen and Loko the Tyke like this.
  13. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    'Spelling!' 'Spelling!' Tsk..... :)

Brian Mahoneys Waist likes this.
  14. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was taking it as a general point rather than a specific allegation. Obviously we as fans are stronger if we stick together.

Stephen Dawson and TonyTyke like this.
  15. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not sure quite how excited I should get about this. The prospective new owners lines are certainly seductive, but it's very murky as to what the credibility of that is. The only people that I could imagine to have the financial means and willingness to reach out to fans would be a consortium of ex-players with an emotional connection to the club. Is that a possibility?

But fans mobilising and media attention is long overdue and hopefully now going to gather momentum.

16. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree on this. The proof is always in the pudding though, as they say, which is why it's wise to see out the month of January before doing anything official and be sure to be focusing around facts. As we've seen on many platforms over the last 2-3 years, many a 'In the Know' rumour that was a fact has failed to materialise.

I can't see a figure of less than £10 million tempting them to sell - and then you'll have any outstanding debts to the Cryne family on top plus whatever isn't on the balance sheet. For all we know they might have zero intention to sell anyway (but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a plan). It's not just the value of us as a club that they'll want to make a profit on, it's also the value to their European network too.

17. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All good points Ben. A few things I’d add are:
    1. The 80% owners are in for around £8m. The deferred amounts could be converted to an equity swap for Cryne Jr to increase his stake, if he were interested and they didn’t want to put in further investment
    2. When the initial purchase took place there was £5m of cash on the balance sheet. That has gone and the bottom has fallen out of the transfer market. This will eat in to the value.
    3. A UK club is no longer quite as attractive in a network of European clubs in the third tier, the ability to move players between clubs becomes more difficult.
    Ultimately they own the club and can set a price or choose not to sell regardless. The financial pressure of relegation may well mean either cash injection from the owners or a debt raise. In these circumstances a sale may be considered more favourable.

In reality who knows what’s going to happen. Spectemur Agendo.

18. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally doubt they will shift for much less than £10m, which feels about double what it’s actually worth right now. Only way I can see them selling, is if they decide to cut their losses. We’ll see..

Stephen Dawson and Archerfield like this.
  19. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Always love to see your contribution to threads like this as it's baked in a far greater understanding of the ownership model and finances than I could ever grasp. I strongly believe this ownership see us, and want us, to be a Championship football club. They're making a bit of a pig's ear of it right now, in pretty devastating fashion, but I don't think it's deliberate for us or their other teams. We don't know any of them personally, but if (a big if) they really believe in the process long term they'll be wanting all their clubs to perform better - which would have us as a valuable cog in the network.

I don't think the club is necessarily worth £10 million, when you consider assets and the balance sheet you mention (plus relegation). I just can't see the owners entertaining anything that isn't significantly above that to move on so you would essentially need to overpay. All whilst remembering this is just for 80%.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  20. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its an interesting situation when multiple factions pop up. My difficulty with this is who do they represent? Their 10’selves? Some hidden potential owner who i think would want to do business differently? The majority fan base? I find it hard to understand what i would be supporting as there is so much non disclosure. I am not advocating the Supporters Trust to lead but i wonder why the 10 didnt engage with them to get a consolidated view and be part of driving influence rather than creating a seperate one. As with any group there will be some followers, some in the know and some doing it blind. I cant comment whether this is good or not or the intentions are good or not. Simply because i dont know what they have planned and who will drive it more importantly how they will listen to what fans want. I don't know if their ideas will be better or worse than current ownership.the headline conway out doesn't come across as a positive alternative group but one based on frustration of an individual. Maybe a more activist but positive title would be more attractive. Given lack of club comms ill await the email from the faction. Do they give vouchers? Maybe someone will start a ‘Conway Out, Out’ faction

im not for or against the group and good luck to them. I simply dont know what they want to do and who they represent.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022