Labour Leader Demands Lockdown

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wombwell-red, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why? Half a lockdown has ****** the economy and done nothing to tame the virus.

the top performers have a successful track and trace supported by strong lockdowns.

Redhelen likes this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The govt abandoned following any sort of science when Cummings little trip was rumbled. and basically no doctor or nurse would appear to support them. Those months of not following any science has pushed us back to the start. Starmer doesn’t have access to SAGE so only now it is the public domain can he support what they wanted though this is now out of date.

you are looking for simple answers to complex questions. The govt have been so breathtakingly incompetent that they have us boxed into a corner. They have underfunded and understaffed the NHS so that’s it can barely cope with a normal winter season. Letting it rip would quickly capsize it.

Lockdowns. I can see the value of short ones at the right time. Unfortunately the right time was 3 weeks ago so it’s value now I’m less sure of. Where I agree with you is the low level drip lockdowns are absolutely pointless and crippling businesses.

Too many people wouldn’t ‘learn to live with it’ as the impact on s beleaguered health service would be fairly catastrophic. To give you a flavour in my partners ward tomorrow a Newly qualifies nurse with 1 months experience is the only qualified nurse on a 12 hour shift breaking pretty much every rule in the book. The NHS is down 40000 nurses. You can’t find those on the magic nurse tree.

The tories have given 12 billion quid in kickbacks to their mates under the guise of a track and trace system. That money could have helped your gym owner mate. Be angry at them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  3. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Quote from that article...

"It is important there is enough testing capacity to pick up where the virus is, to detect spikes and manage surges. From time to time it will be necessary briefly to restrict movement locally to enable suppression of outbreaks. [NB Building public health capacity is not the same as implementing lockdowns. It is about building up the capability of public health services to interrupt transmission in localities. Experience around the world shows that this capability is key to a successful COVID responses"

This Govt haven't been giving resources to local public health bodies, instead relying on private sector firms to provide a national test and trace system then regulating restrictions on regions when they lose control of the virus in that area.

Lockdown / circuit break / whatever anybody else wants to call it might be the only option, because of the ineptitude of Johnson, Hancock, and I would add Williamson to that list as well. Unless the plan was to let all students to go into uni, then lock them up in their halls when things looked bad, can't rule it out with Dom at the helm.

Connor likes this.
  4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I didnt say Tories have handled it well at all. But if people think shutting the country down for another 2 week is the answer then were in trouble like I said people are already on there arse. I could just about afford a few week sat at home unpaid but I work with many who cant.

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Another lockdown would completely **** the economy, pub trade would be more or less dead and we would be back to square one again in months. No matter how strict you do it key workers still have to work.

6. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On it's own, it's definitely not the answer. It depends on how they can use the time to be able to open things up in a more sustainable manner that is the important bit. Starmer could do with publishing that side of his proposed plan now.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Like I said many breweries, pubs, restaurants and gyms wont be able to take part in another 2 week lockdown without going bust. Many people with families to support cant just take 2 week off unpaid. A national lockdown wont work and could cause alot more harm than good.

8. ley

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That’s why any action would need to be accompanied by a financial support package, which would probably be cheaper than propping up areas marked as tier 3 for an indefinite period of time, or the cost of unemployment for those stuck in tier 2 without support.

selby, Redhelen and redrum like this.
  9. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Cant see them propping country up for another lockdown.

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    a lockdown without financial assistance to everyone would be absolutely pointless.

DavidCurriesMullet and Redhelen like this.
  11. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But they will be propping the country up for a lot longer if we don't get back under control. Track and trace needs sorting and run properly by local authorities which a lockdown would give time to arrange.

12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I agree but it's not going to happen, businesses would still suffer even if he did give help again, rents and utilities still have to be paid. I lost money in the 1st lockdown not bothered but to some it would be disasterous. Like I said pointless anyway we would be back to square one again in months.

13. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well they're having to in Liverpool. And no doubt tier 3 areas will grow. In which case a national lockdown would have to make more sense?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  14. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn’t work. Too many would flout the rules. Mindset of the public is in an entirely different place to what it was in March.

We’ve been in a soft lockdown for months in Manchester. The reason it’s not working is not because the restrictions aren’t tight enough, it’s because people ignore them. I know people that go round to family and friends houses frequently. Making them tighter would just do more harm for very little good.

Unfortunately public behaviour won’t change until the deaths get to similar levels as before, by which time it will be too late.

Don’t know what the solution is, but my anecdotal evidence is that a total lockdown is highly unlikely to work. Regardless of restrictions, you can’t police people going round to family and friend’s houses.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Like I said I dont agree with area lockdowns or national. A few weeks back the labour leader pleaded with johnson not to do a national lockdown for the sake of the economy I posted it on here agreeing with him and so did many others like jimmy who have now changed their minds. now to go against boris keir has changed his mind. It's time people started thinking just a little bit for themself instead of hanging off every word there leader says.
    After this 2nd national lockdown is the virus just going to vanish keir? No

16. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would a national lockdown make more sense? Why ruin the economies of areas where there is already very little transmission?

The reason Greater Manchester is not in Tier 3 is because Andy Burnham presented evidence to the government saying that Tier 3 restrictions were not needed, highlighting differences between Liverpool and Manchester. Together with Sacha Lord he was going to take the government to court if they closed hospitality.

Inexplicably, and in the space of 2 days, he’s saying we need a complete national lockdown!

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  17. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Follow the money.

18. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Northern Ireland announce four week circuit breaker!

19. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its not a lockdown though - schools only closing for 2 weeks, retail remaining open all they are doing is closing hospitality. It doesnt look as severe as the Liverpool restrictions to me at first glance

20. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sick of hearing this new buzzword 'Circuit Breaker' already.. Call it what it is 'Total Lockdown'..

Although a total lockdown is impossible.. Emergency services, NHS, Supply lines for food etc, Utilities, Carers all still required..

Don't think Starmer even has the support of his own party on his flip flop.. Dan Jarvis dodged the question, wouldn't back the leader on his stance.

Torys = Fecked, Labour = Fecked, Lib Dems = Pointless..

Futures bright!

nezbfc, redrum, SuperTyke and 2 others like this.