Liverpool!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by 1532, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  2. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    A few months back there was a very long piece in the guardian about whats gone on there. Actually, I've found it for you. Worth a read and better getting it from source rather than me try and recall it from memory ;-)

The bells v the boutique hotel: the battle to save Britain’s oldest factory | London | The Guardian

Redhelen, RedVesp, Mr C and 1 other person like this.
  3. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely valid point on Liverpool, and I guess as a city that's what they had to weigh up. I've a book ready to read on Liverpool that was recommended called Liverpool Beyond The Brink https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-Beyond-Brink-Remaking-Imperial/dp/1786942178

I think the other point you raise around population growth then ties in to the real conversations that are needed about greenbelt land. Again really difficult compromises to be made, but current planning policy means the premium on brownfield land drives the intense, dense, and sometimes disrespectful treatment of our heritage. And ultimately, and unfortunately, virtual all development is about land economics rather than need, quality and environment.

I think my biggest reflection from working with conservationists, pressure groups, Historic England and everyone in between is just how contested our heritage or history actually is. Charting the path or any form of consensus within the profession is challenging enough, and that's before the (often forgotten) voice of the wider public is thrown in to the mix.

Redhelen likes this.
  4. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I can't even begin to imagine the politics and the levels of self interest that are involved in development and all the different drivers for decision making from each faction.

Though (and a slight tangent) yesterday I spent a hour in a meeting in the park that boundaries my property. Sainsburys are supposed to upkeep it (the main basis for being allowed to develop on land here around 25-30 years ago) and they haven't. The local councillor was in attendance. Some council personal responsible for parks and several people from Sainsburys. There was only one other resident there, which I must say, I felt really disappointed by.

The point of the meeting was to agree to maintain the park and my main stance was simply looking after nature. Sainsburys and the council collectively commissioned absolutely butchery of trees and shrubbery in prime nesting season. What struck me was that despite it going against the law to undertake such works at the time they did, their comments seemed that they just didn't care about it.

But you could see in just a small group absolutely different wants. From tokenism and lip service to a volunteer who had secured a grant to create a communal food garden and genuinely cared about doing it and doing it well.

But back onto urban development and heritage. My concern is how we can manage to balance actual need with what the end output is. I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we consider the effects of mankind and decide limiting population is the answer to the ills we've created?

Redhelen and ark104 (v2) like this.
  5. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  6. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a real shame, although I think you can probably see some of the long term outcomes of austerity right there. 40% cuts to local government meaning underfunded and underesourced departments seeking alternative ways of delivering, almost inevitably to a lower standard than in the past.

So much now relies on the enthusiasm and drive of individuals in local government to go over and above to deliver the best outcomes. You've probably stumbled across someone with huge areas under their remit to maintain, and even setting up an agreement with a dedicated local volunteer may seem overwhelming. Not defending that by the way.

Meanwhile the Tories in government can sit back and watch local people blame the council for not delivering high quality public services, particularly in the poorest areas due to business rates distribution too. A masterstroke from George Osborne unfortunately.

On the last point it's hard enough trying to mediate between people to make a decision on pedestrianisation so I might leave population control alone for now!

Redhelen likes this.
  7. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

Liverpool is the only place I’ve paid fire and theft insurance to a spotty teen on the street where it was parked….