Local elections - abandon hope.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by StatisTYKE, May 4, 2021.

1. bfc

bfc1001 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd agree there . Think the Tories want him out now so they can wheel in an austerity pm to start screwing people again . 2010 -2018 must have been so profitable for the powers that be they ll be wanting another slice .
    Pains me to say it but as it stands I'd rather have Johnson than any other Tory . He is vain so his public perception does matter to him where as they ll be wanting a hatchet man / woman . Better the devil you know and I say that as an out and out lefty .

Cowboy, Redhelen and Dalestykes like this.
  2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've had a bit of a theory for some years that populist reality TV programmes that have sugar coated "the viewer decides" weekly voting has dumbed down votes in elections.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve a lot of sympathy for those posts but I’d be interested in when you thought that change happened. I’d suggest 1987.

Redhelen likes this.
  4. ryc

rycalshaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately i think we are going to have the tories in for the forseeable because the opposition is so weak, i am so disappointed with starmer, i genuinely hoped that he was going to be able to take Labour forward but all he seems interested in is petty populist points scoring whilst sitting on the fence when ever he has to make a decision in parliament, if they can,t get in front in the opinion polls now i,m afraid they never will....

John Peachy likes this.
  5. sel

selby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your looking at the seat in Hartlepool simply as a Labour vs Tory fight which it is this time but I would argue the seat was lucky to survive in 2019.

The Brexit Party had over 10,000 votes and tories over 11,000 with Labour receiving 15,000 after a disastrous stance on Brexit in a place that voted nearly 70% to leave.

I hope its closer than reported this morning but it was always going to be a mountain to climb after 2019 in this area.

6. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Person who knew him best is stirring this up - Mr Cummings knows where the bodies are hidden and Johnson knows it.

John Peachy likes this.
  7. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The interesting thing is that there are a lot of people that are very right wing, especially in social policy, who would never vote tory because their Dad told them not to. That's partly the reason the Brexit party did well last time. It's a party that hits the right wing market while not being the Tories, so people are allowed to vote for them.

BBBFC likes this.
  8. Dav

DavidCurriesMullet Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The games up for Labour, the people of Britain like to be lied to. They don't feel empathy with others until they want to have some shown to them. Empty words, sleaze and lies are of higher importance.

Cowboy, anstonred, pompey_red and 3 others like this.
  9. kestyke

kestyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I think on the whole, the country (England) gets the government it deserves.

Dalestykes, anstonred and RedVesp like this.
  10. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s all going to be alright because the Royals are getting a new £200m yacht so the Paedo Prince can kiddy fiddle off shore , a vote winner if ever there was one , particularly in Hartlepool whose electorate voted for a monkey as Mayor not that many years ago

11. dartonpete

dartonpete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You could hit the people with all the facts, they don't care enough. Brexit was always going to be a disaster but apparently it's going well according to some, but the loss of trade with the EU is staggering.

Redhelen and anstonred like this.
  12. Red

RedVesp Guest

this-is-fine.0.jpg

dartonpete likes this.
  13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    The thing I find with politics is that there are large amounts of reasons why people vote a certain way, yet they often get bundled together as being for a particular cause. I do think Labour benefitted for a long time in the north because of the legacy of thatcherism, but the younger people wont have seen that and some of the older people who lean more towards a fascist bent have jumped as well who probably should never have voted labour in the first place.

I genuinely don't see how Labour unpick this in my lifetime.

Redhelen and RedVesp like this.
  14. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I spoke with my father in law on Sunday. Staunch tory and borderline UKIPer. He mentioned the yacht. I was stunned as I'd not heard of it. Of all the things to spend on, £200m (and like it will be anywhere near that level of budget!) on a boat that will hardly get used, at a time when we've spent hundreds of billions, crazy. Yet he was all for it (he is ex navy mind you). Global Britain. Use it for trade missions he says.

There is just no reasoning with some. And sadly its far too great a number.

Redhelen and anstonred like this.
  15. Red

RedVesp Guest

Agree with this. A (Im)perfect mix of ultracapitalist aspirations, apathy and far right tendencies mean labour won't win a GE for the foreseeable.

16. Gravy Chips

Gravy Chips Well-Known Member

Web Designer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  17. Not The Messiah

Not The Messiah Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Someone in the chippy told me that he thought Johnson had done a good job with the Covid crisis. I said it depends whether you think 127000 dead is a good result, now if we had lost as many as Germany for example I'd say fair enough - despite them having a larger population. If they had closed or tightened the borders at the beginning we wouldn't have had this result, but Boris took the herd immunity option which has cost about 50,000 unnecessary deaths at least. For that he should be held responsible, his decision - his responsibility.
    Nicola Sturgeon was honest enough on the news to say she had made mistakes during the crisis, which I admire. The buffoon is too egotistical to say such a thing, he absolutely loves himself despite the fact that he is surely amongst the ugliest 5% of the population.
    The electorate are just like the silly women he has loved and dumped - there to be used while he needs them and in the dustbin when he doesn't. This is something that eventually everyone will realise, but how much damage in the meantime?.

18. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not really a surprise. Starmer’s been an absolute disaster. No policies, no personality, alienates Brexiteers & alienates the left.

Redhelen, YTBFC and bfc1001 like this.
  19. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I get why people have issues with Labour. I get that. But you do all realise that there are other parties and candidates to vote for other than the current bunch of criminals in office?

20. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd argue that there aren't. Lib Dems = Absolutely not, never to be trusted.. Greens = Economic policies lacking..

So you have Tories or Labour. None doing a good job IMO.
    Tories have cut too much, Labour purely focused on criticising the Tories instead of promoting their alternatives.

John Peachy likes this.