Local elections - abandon hope.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by StatisTYKE, May 4, 2021.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why, when our councillors do loads for our area? I’d rather them be re-elected and get to carry on their work than have someone random I’ve never heard of take over who couldn’t be arsed to send us a leaflet to even introduce themselves — which doesn’t bode well for the future. As they increased their majority it seems most voters agreed.

2. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but in Hartlepool when one voter was asked who they voted for they replied Tory because under the Tories we had received 9 food banks, then went on to add, under Labour we had nothing.

That my friends is the F O O K I N G mentality of much of today's voters :(

3. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are they doing loads for the area in a sustainable way? Wherever Greens have got in councils they are greatly benefitting both local people and the environment. They now have representation on 139 councils. I wish they had some power here in South Derbyshire where the Labour council granted planning permission for housing on farmer's fields where there is very limited access instead of on an old derelict pottery which is infested with rats and has become a (dangerous) playground for local disaffected youths.

4. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You know the election has ended now, right? I’m very happy with my councillors and so are the other people who live here.

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough.

6. Sup

Superhiggy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I,m a boomer and i vote for my choice and i am not thick,ignorant or brainless.

7. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think it often goes under the radar when proactive councillors get booted just because of politics. Sadly national influence often usurps the local picture.

We had Lib Dem representation in our Borough a few years ago before the last council elections and they were absolutely brilliant. So many changes for the good happened locally because they put themselves forward on the local forum and just knocked stuff down or shared information that otherwise wouldn't have been accessible.

They lost to Labour who spammed the crap put of the area last time out. I had 4 labour people doorstep me on election day alone. The Labour candidates pledge, they would work harder than the Lib Dem candidate. I voted Lib Dem, well, the party was irrelevant, the councillors were so good. But Labour got in and they've been garbage since. The shambles with the offshore hedge fund who kicked out the local football team from its ground and the council now seem to be putting noises out they are going to allow them planning on protected open metropolitan land for a new ground to allow 250 home they'll sell for millions. Destroying a local play area and green land which has rare nature on the space.

The new Labour councillors cynically created a new post on the local forum, similar to the Lib Dems one and pledged to carry on the great work of the Lib Dems. They've been completely invisible since and there has been nothing at all in trying to assist during the pandemic, whereas the unemployed Lib Dems set up a system in the early days to try and find volunteers for food shopping and prescription collection for the shielders and vulnerable.

I'm not saying Labour are bad, but that local councils should be voted in and retained for their competence, not on a GE political basis. There will be good Greens councillors, good Lib Dem ones, good Labour ones, good independents, and even some good conservative ones (ouch, that hurt) and if they are good and work hard and help the people in their area in the small number of areas they are possible, then national politics shouldn't come into play. in my view, of course.

JamDrop likes this.
  8. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. I’m fortunate because they happen to be Labour councillors but they are so good I am genuinely voting for them and not the party.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.