Marc Roberts

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by LucaBywater7, May 18, 2024.

1. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pines, MDG, Lopata, and Earl - though I wouldn't be surprised if he's used as a left back going forward. Shep was signed for the u21s. We've lost Williams, Cundy and McCart. I think a CB is quite likely.

Merde Tete likes this.
  2. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We need to be looking at much better if we're going to get promoted. I get the whole experience thing, but that doesn't mean we should sacrifice quality for it too. Hourihane adds something to the side if he comes in, I'm not convinced Roberts does.

Birmingham fans on their forum are over the moon that he's no longer their player.

3. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would hope maybe Villa could help us out with a couple of decent loans if Hourihane can use is connections from his time there.

Connor likes this.
  4. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess it depends if we get Stendel. If he plays 4 at the back we might have enough already TBH.

5. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    MDG seems a cracking lad but i worry that he isn’t big enough or quick enough against division one players i personally think we need to replace him next season if we want to shore up the defence.

Sopwith Camel and onemickybutler like this.
  6. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If wages aren't an issue (and instead of sp#nking it on 5 maybes) get him in absolute no Brainerd.
    You dont need a lot to be cracking in this division but you do need a robust defense..Mark would be much better than what we have and will bring Pines on ...even if its for one season he will be good at this level.

ubique_tyke, Connor and gaz97 like this.
  7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was thinking the same myself.

Earl, Pines, Robbo/Shepherd, Lofthouse (if ready). MDG and Lopata would also play a part.

I like O'Keeffe but much prefer him going forward to defending. Another one who's let down by a slight lack of pace, which is why he plays in the 3rd tier. As I mentioned at the start of the season, morph the best bits of O'Keeffe and Cotter into one player and he'd be worth millions.

John Peachy likes this.
  8. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's Jude Bellingham know, he's only a bairn.;)

Merde Tete likes this.
  9. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The situation with Hourihane is encouraging, but I'm hoping that they're moving towards what I've long thought is the ideal way to bring experience into the squad under their model, which is to bring in player/coaches towards the end of their playing career while we support them in earning their coaching badges. We get the on-field benefit of their experience, while they get a guaranteed route into qualifying as a coach for when they ultimately retire.

It's an extension of the overall model, as we're recruiting young coaches in the same way as we recruit young players to be developed. Ultimately, we may deliver our own 'production line' of replacement head coaches, as they'll ultimately become familiar with the coaching set-up working alongside the existing head coach. For those that ultimately go elsewhere we can potentially benefit from release clauses in their contracts. They may not bring in huge sums, but even if they only cover the costs incurred to get someone through the qualifications, it provides a sustainable basis by which the process can be repeated.

Potentially, we could have 2 or 3 veteran players on the books at any point in time via this route, adding value on the pitch and within the backroom setup too.

10. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Don't disagree with you, unfortunately I don't think we're led by football brains.

11. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we've got to see if the new Sporting Director moves us into a slightly different direction. Time will only tell, but a role for Hourihane as player / coach in some capacity would be a step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned.

Connor and onemickybutler like this.