Markus Schopp

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ed12j8w, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to write match reports for them for something to do and I have no journalistic experience at all.

2. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Switching to a 4-1-4-1 would be a concern, because it would be a struggle to include both Woodrow and Morris, and I don't think we're a club with enough resources to be able to leave one of them out.

4-2-3-1 is really a 4-3-3 with 2 defensive or box to box midfielders and an attacking midfielder. Player & formation wise I wouldn't be too concerned with that as could have a team of Collins - Kitching, Helik, Andersen, Brittain - Kane, Palmer - Cole, Styles, Morris - Woodrow. Weakened by losing Mowatt and Dike, but otherwise not too disturbed in terms of who plays (though wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more departures). Biggest problem will be what approach the new coach, whoever he is takes to the high press. New players will need to understand a new shape and new triggers. So a good pre-season will be important.

anstonred and Slightly Balding like this.
  3. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also 4-1-4-1 Would just mean having a sitting midfielder, for example Halme/Moon.

Collins
    Brittain Helik, Andersen, Kitching
    Halme
    Cole, Styles, Palmer, Morris
    Woodrow

Kettlewell likes this.
  4. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True - Just wonder whether Morris would be wasted playing out wide, in a 4, as opposed to a bit further infield as he would be in a 3.

5. Jor

Jordym93 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Collins

Brittain
    Andersen
    Helick
    New signing

Styles

Cole
    Kane
    Palmer
    New signing

Morris or woodrow

6. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Looking at some of the guesses above and trying to shoe-horn our players into a system makes me hope that Mr Schopp won`t be looking at the BBS for ideas!

7. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    They haven't got the thyme

S74 Red and onlyonesteviecooper like this.
  8. ed1

ed12j8w Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s been pointed out by other posters but just because he plays a particular formation at his current club doesn’t mean he’ll do the same at Barnsley.

He might adjust his tactics to match the squad he is given. Which in our case has largely been built around 343

Kettlewell likes this.
  9. ed1

ed12j8w Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not me asking, so sorry if it’s someone on here. But found this on Twitter a fan asking the Austrian journo about Schopp. Sounds like there’s no guarantee he’ll play 4231 as expected, don’t know how to post the screenshots so I’ve copy and pasted the conversation:

Hi Matthias, do you have an opinion on how Schopp will fare at #BarnsleyFC? Do you think he will continue the 3-4-3 that has been in place? Good luck to Hartberg!

Hi. I really can't say it. He tried many things in Hartberg. Schopp likes to vary the lineups. Because of that I can imagine that he continue with the 3-4-3, but it wouldn't be a bis surprise if he tries something new.

Thanks. One to keep opponents guessing, then?

Exactly. It was most of the time pretty hard to guess the right formation before matchday.

Interesting, really appreciate your insight. Do you expect him to maintain the high-pressing style? Looking at Hartberg's squad, I'm conscious that the defence is on the older side, which might have made it harder to have that high line.

With the smallest club in the league, Schopp tried to play offensive and attractive. He wants creative solutions on the pitch and no parking the bus. I can't say, if he changes his style with other players.

Connor, wakeyred and Kettlewell like this.
  10. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "Dog Lane dossers" by the look of it.

11. S74 Red

S74 Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can’t remember where I read it and I can’t be bothered to look for it but he has played 3 at the back quite often during his time as a coach.

Any coach worth his salt has to adapt to the players around him when he first arrives at a club.

We’re spoilt for choice in central defence and I’d be stunned if he didn’t go with a 3 initially.