Mediocrity Report

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Deafening Silence, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Williams has very good pace, and this, I think, is his greatest attribute. He doesn't possess the skill of Brittain when in tight situations and finds it hard to get past a man from a standing start. Some of his crosses are good, and some are bad.

2. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree totally about Thomas. He had an excellent game and was Man Of The Match by a long way, even before his fantastic goal. It was great to see him taking on the opposition and getting past players by displaying both skill and speed. This was by far the best I have seen from him. If he can perform like that regularly, he'll have a massive impact for us this season.

3. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He does give some daft free kicks away. Other than that, he’s OK.

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You live up to your board membership name.....

Rosco and Voice of Reason like this.
  5. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think I'd pretty much agree with this.

Maybe a 6 for McCarthy, thought he played too close to Anderson in the first half.

In fairness to the guys at the back maybe they aren't fully up to speed with playing in a three rather than a normal centre back pairing.

Enjoyed seeing both McCarthy and Kitching do a bit of overlapping centre half play. Also happy to point out that as one of Cole's detractors I thought he did well when he came on. Never really threatened a goal but chased their backline well and looked useful from the bench.

Overall I felt there were far more positives today than negatives. It's a performance we can build on. It's a clean sheet that was rarely troubled. It's a first win of the season.

No doubt we'll face stiffer opposition but hopefully we'll have gelled and become better ourselves.

I liked Duff being involved with players in the warm up. I liked the fact he walked around the pitch to applaud the crowd at the end, as did the players.

Off the pitch it was nice to see a good turn out, hopefully if performances are good numbers will rise a bit more. Plenty of noise being made by the fans that were there.

I would have liked a bit more tempo at times but overall I'm happy. I do think we need a few signings to strengthen the squad. A RWB for one, a striker and, if Styles goes a player who can cover LWB.

Deafening Silence and churtonred like this.
  6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe my expectations were low but I enjoyed yesterday.

My biggest positives were seeing how fit & up for it Benson & Thomas were. Thomas was already on track to be my MOTM before his goal but there was no doubt after that.

A couple of driving runs forward & the lovely 1-2 to play Aitchison in were great.

I still think we’re lacking a bit in forward areas & I know Cheltenham are likely to struggle but it was definitely a decent performance. Even Cole got on & looked like he had some hunger in him.

anstonred likes this.
  7. In4

In4reds Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Workman like performance there will be tougher task than Cheltenham that's for sure. I agree about Williams not a rwb much prefer in the three, dissapointed with the amount of crosses into the box against what surely is the smallest keeper in the league but having said that not one of the four that played upfront best attribute is in the air. The balance of the team isn't quite right but I think they know that and hopefully it will be put right sooner rather then later.