Mortgage rates

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by mansfield_red, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did look at getting out of it but the get out clause made it exactly the same overall cost to move to a lower %age deal. As you say, at least I knew exactly what I had to pay each month throughout the term.

JamDrop likes this.
  2. Journo Tyke

Journo Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Have replied to your DM mate.

3. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My Wife was always about the security of knowing what it was gonna be on fixed rates.
    I was all for rolling the dice if I thought I knew what interest rates were gonna be up or down.
    Our first one was a capped one which don’t seem to be that popular these days.
    Knowing what it’s gonna be for 10 years isn’t mad some would say common sense.

dodgey defence and JamDrop like this.
  4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    19% of properties are rented so a fair chunk of the market.
    The real culprits in price increases are the major house builders they drive the market significantly more but no one seems to be concerned by that.

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I don't begrudge any one who has worked hard paid into the system worked his arse off and done okay for himself investing in property for a pension or to help his kids. Seems some on here feel differently. Maybe if private pensions were better people wouldn't look at property as a investment as its quite a risk.

On a side not I went to seaside the other week I saw 2 fat fuckers on mobility scooters not disabled but just too fat to walk. I also saw a lot of scruffy fuckers drinking high strength larger morning time. Looking at them wound me up because they've more than likely never worked a day in their lives or paid **** all in but have a property paid for. And in years to come if I need looking after or to go in a home I'll have to sell my house to pay for care. Them scruffy lovely people with cans if they live that long will get it for **** all. That sort of thing winds me up not a self employed person whos paid in investing for retirement.

6. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really don't understand the antipathy towards private landlords. They can't all be Rachmans, surely? Is it just that they make a profit from providing a service?
    I've rented properties twice when I've been between relationships, been very grateful to find them and never once thought I was being exploited.
    Apparently on the continent around 36% of households rent. It seems to work well enough over there.

redrum and Red Rob like this.
  7. Red

Red Rob Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apologies to @JamDrop. I was pretty drunk last night and my post was extremely poorly worded.

On the above it's a good point, but landlords do already pay extra stamp duty on purchase and large capital gains on sales, so this is already in place.

I do agree that there should be different rules for landlords around the type of property rented. A terrace in Barnsley is a family property to my mind and should be available to sell on the open market or have an option for tenants to eventually own. A flat in London or Manchester however is very different. I know a lot of people in both cities who want the flexibility of renting and have no intention of buying, or are young professionals and don't know where they might be in a few years so aren't interested in purchasing.

An issue with government interference as we have seen in the past is that if landlords leave the market this creates a supply and demand issue with not enough properties on the market and prices pushed. There will always be a demand for rent, especially in our main hub cities, and this can't be government managed, although an increase in council housing would of course help. We are doing better on this issue than many of our neighbours with Ireland especially set to change government due to insane house prices and rental costs.

In a capitalist market landlords will always be needed and the prospect has to be somewhat attractive, or the rental market collapses. My solution would be an option to take over the mortgage on a property for tenants who have been in place for a decent period of time and wish to do so, especially on properties which are two bedrooms plus and not HMO's.

8. Lea

Least said soonest mended Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks

Journo Tyke likes this.
  9. t.t

t.t Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Need to look deeper into the issue. Landlords have also had their interest rates spiked, while they now deal with the letting agent fees that are not allowed to be charged to tenants. And they also get a tax levied onto them which means that many don't get tax relief on interest payments.

They now have two options; make a loss on the property because of the above measures or increase the rents. The market says what most are doing and you can't blame them.

People need to take a step back and realise that every BTL political decision over the years has ruined the renters market - and put up rents beyond what is affordable for many.

10. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Landlords are scum. Simple as that.

Fckin everything and everyone for their own selfish gain.

The only posters who are pro renting are landlords. Colour me shocked.

Parasites.

11. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope that any mortgage relief measures are solely targeted at mortgages on first homes. BTLers can deal with the consequences as far as I'm concerned.

You pays your money you takes your chance. Although that doesn't really fit, because it's always been their tenants paying the money not them...

jptykes likes this.
  12. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    What about accidental landlords?

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

No someone who was a ex renter of 2 property's is pro landlord if your read the posts.

Scum is harsh the fat bustards driving mobility scooters too fat and lazy to work and the smack heads off there nut in town center never paid a day's tax in there lives are scum.

14. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Few too many shandy bass for you by sounds sunshine

Redstone, redrum and dodgey defence like this.
  15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  16. man

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about benefit claimants and addicts being "scum". I'd suggest that addiction should be regarded as a health issue, and even if all benefit claimants are fraudulent they overall cause less socioeconomic harm than a lot of other factors, private landlords being one.

17. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

No bee in my bonnet, but to label every private landlord as scum, would you agree with that? Each and everyone is different there offering a service. A few on here don't seem to like anyone who worked hard, done well for themselves or has money.
    I said my situation on here as looking to buy a btl as a pension when I reach retirement and got slated by a few.
    I just have a problem with people who don't want to work and there's plenty about.

18. man

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Scum is a bit of a strong word, but essentially a private landlord is profiteering off the fundamental human need for housing and negatively distorting the housing market in the process. It's a parasitic and negative way to make money in my view, bordering on immoral.

I have no issue with people doing well for themselves, and I think you're making assumptions about people's personal situation which might not be true.

19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'm self employed I will have nothing in pension bar the state pension which I won't get till I'm god knows whatever. Private pensions aren't worth a ****. But because you say it's immoral i won't invest any money for retirement in property.

It does seem like some on here resent people doing well for themselves but that's just how it comes across.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  20. man

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're talking as if it's the only way to invest when it's not.

As I put above I sincerely hope that BTL investors get no mortgage help during the tough times to come - they have relied on other people paying their mortgage off for them so they can bank the capital appreciation and a bit of rent profit in the meantime. They shouldn't have then have the taxpayer propping them up when it turns out their risk free investment wasn't actually risk free after all.

Gimson&theBarnsleys and jptykes like this.