New favourite.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, May 13, 2024.

1. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think maybe Mark Robins? Last to do 2 full seasons. That is my guess anyway

gaz97 and WatfordRed like this.
  2. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But, again what can they say. Everybody knows we're currently working on an appointment. There can't surely be anyone even in the feeble minded Twitter/Facebook most entrenched critics who think we're just not even bothering to look.
    There's a suggestion on here that we should just announce it's Stendel if we're close to a deal. Despite the fact that he's at a crucial point in the season with his current team. Can you even begin to imagine what the reaction would have been on here if we'd announced Duff was leaving one game into the play offs. It's a mental idea.
    They can come out and say they're currently looking if that's what people want but I guarantee you the usual suspects will vilify the Board and the club based on that statement alone.

3. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s no wonder we always seem to be in a position of constant rebuilding

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  4. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How do you suggest we rectify it?
    To get a manager with a decent track record he will insist on a buy out clause. He will then leave after a successful season for a bigger club.
    If we get one who doesn't have a pedigree then no buy out clause but a s**t ton of abuse from the tinpot/ no ambition brigade.
    If we appoint one who is not up to it or not up to the fans' expectations he'll be sacked just like they got Collins sacked.
    Explain to me how we get a manager with a decent track record who will stay or avoid the sack. Because currently there's a lot of fans who expect nothing less than promotion and anyone who fails to deliver it should be kicked out.
    The current state of football makes the appointment of a long term, successful manager an impossibility.

5. Wat

WatfordRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I dont think what Gaz was saying was a criticism for what its worth.

Like you say, its an impossible task. We need to find someone who can somehow buy into the club long term. Someone with a geniune affection for the town and the club. Thats why i'm kinda hoping we get Stendel, as i think he is someone who has a genuine love for the place, the club and the fans.

My hope (granted i'm aware its very naive), is that we get him in and both he and the club are aware that the grass isn't greener elsewhere and stick together for a good few years.

gaz97 and churtonred like this.
  6. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My views for what they are worth which isn’t much…

1. I don’t expect the club to announce anything regarding the new head coach until there is something to announce. Not sure what they can actually say

2. They should have probably thought about that when they said they would update us in the “coming days” on the 22nd April

3. I’m more annoyed that we have still not got a proper sit down interview with the new DOF or new CEO since they were appointed explaining their vision for the club moving forward

4. I am more than happy with Herr Stendel coming back if this is the case and hope this is a return to our most successful style of football in recent years

5. I hope the club will sign players that can play in the style of football

6. No problems with us signing young players but we need 2-3 old heads in there if we are to be successful. Connor coming back would be a positive but would like at least one more experienced player to go along with the younger players
    . Stendel must be allowed to bring in his own assistant

SFOTyke, Cowboy, Connor and 1 other person like this.
  7. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely no idea mate , football isn’t the same anymore everyone wants success straight away and if it doesn’t happen then it’s time for the next cab on the rank ,the last time we showed patience in a manager was with Little Lee Johnson but then he rewarded us by jumping ship which obviously worked out better for us.

Cowboy and churtonred like this.
  8. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm far from convinced about Stendel but, as you rightly say, he's seen the grass isn't really greener, doesn't have much leverage in terms of recent success, will get a honeymoon period from a lot of fans and probably has a fair amount of affection for the town.
    I could see him looking at the job slightly more long term. After the honeymoon period if we're not top six I'd say the fans would want him out though.
    I like the idea of him plus Hourihane though. Conor might see it as a two or three season route to taking the top job and would slot in nicely at the right time. If he turns out to be a decent coach that is.
    Stendel/Hourihane might just be a ticket with a bit of longevity in it.
    IF there's the slightest truth in the rumour of either of them coming and I've not seen any evidence to suggest it is.

9. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with a lot of what you've said. I think we need to support whoever gets it this time by allowing them a big say in players and a commitment to keep those players unless it's virtually impossible ( like Kitch) The only thing that will keep a young ambitious manager here is the feeling of it's my team, their my players and we're building something for the future..if the reality is we'll pick the players, there all for sale at whatevers offered and the club will be run from above then whoever will be gone to the 1st decent offer. Now would be a brilliant time with 4 contracts plus 3 loanees from the 1st team leaving to get someone in and hit the ground running...

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    Cowboy, churtonred and Connor like this.
  10. RedfearnsRocket

RedfearnsRocket Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you have difficulty reading things correctly before spouting off? Or do you need me to help you with the words "IF & TRUE" your so quick to jump on the defensive, I don't know, your right but that's why I phrased it that way, maybe next time read things correctly.

Acido Tyke likes this.
  11. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll tell you this, I'm not getting involved in the thread for the next Pope, if this is what a BFC management appointment brings out. :)

55&counting and North Yorks Red like this.
  12. Abruzzo Red

Abruzzo Red Well-Known Member

Retired - Formerly Gosport Tyke, 2013 - 2022
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can help you with that, it will definitely be a Catholic and probably from the College of Cardinals. You are welcome :p

SFOTyke likes this.
  13. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With Michael Duff, Grant McCann, Mike Williamson and now Daniel Stendel all seemly to have passed us by, I haven't a clue who we will appoint. Norwich look as though they are about to appoint a twenty-nine year old from Arsenal's coaching team, presumably hoping to find the next Kieran McKenna. I would have thought that we would now be doing the same. With the structure through the academy and the excellent training facilities, as well as the desire to bring on good youngsters from the ranks, the post is screaming out for a good coach, rather than a manager, but I just have no clue as to what the youth team set-ups of premiership, or championship teams look like, nor what is available across Europe. I just hope that there has been some genuine interest in the post and there are interested parties out there.

14. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But some people will want one of the old Popes back, with a young cardinal who was previously in the Vatican, for him to mentor.

The Vatican could also screw things up by saying "Keep a lookout for smoke in the coming days".

55&counting and Abruzzo Red like this.
  15. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bloody hell, I wish you lot would make your minds up, I’ve already had to remortgage the house twice to keep up with all this lumping on!

Merde Tete and Winker like this.
  16. higgybaby

higgybaby Well-Known Member

welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why do people listen to hearsay, I don't know who the manager will be but it stands to reason if it is stendel then it makes sense to wait till his current job has finished to unveil him. How anybody can say that he's another one that has passed us by is a bit daft. What will be will be.

17. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Terrible band

Abruzzo Red likes this.
  18. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are a lot pushing for an early appointment, but as we've seen already the number - and quality - of potential available coaches has increased since the season ended. We might not be in for Rosenior or Wagner, but both have managed successfully at the top end of the higher division.

19. Mik

MikeyD87 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pure and simple... Absolute Banger :D

gaz97 likes this.
  20. Red Mist

Red Mist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not just about unearthing the next Mckenna,it's backing that person as well.I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of this model.I would like the board to change tack and not treat it like a hobby ala football manager or try to sell up and let other people run it like a football club with ambition.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    benjamoose and NathanBFC94 like this.