Oakwell

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Jul 30, 2023.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Customers should have a choice of cash or card. People find budgeting easier with actual cash. If our club are going cashless I hope people boycott the club shop.

2. S74 Red

S74 Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    These are really important points and it annoys me how it’s completely ignored by nearly everyone.

Mr C, dreamboy3000 and JamDrop like this.
  3. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tobe fair there's nowt to boycott. I've got more barnsley merchandise in a box in my loft than they've got in the club shop

4. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There should always be an option to pay by cash and this is the hill I will die on. I know people who have been controlled financially and cash can stop that.

5. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

Fewer and fewer people in my experience of the Barnsley fan base. Its a rubbish analogy by the way. No one wears a suit to oakwell. 90% of people use cards at our kiosk. Its hard to function in the modern world without a debit card. Cashless is becoming more and more common.
    On the last point, there are cards that allow you to protect your privacy.

Dalestykes likes this.
  6. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's a reason it's hard to function and that's because of businesses refusing to accept cash

7. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you honestly think that people who are abusing others lets them use those features? The cards are in the parents (meaning of adults who live at home, not kids) or partner’s name and are completely controlled by them via their phones. The absolute only way for freedom is cash.

BarTyke, S74 Red and Mr C like this.
  8. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Give me cash every day , it seems to me that people forget that there is still a big part of a certain generation who are not comfortable with credit cards/ debit cards or even the internet , personally I have the cards but always prefer cash & would never ever use internet banking , cash , cheques & a good old fashioned bank teller is what suits me .

9. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I use a card, pretty much exclusively, though I do keep a couple of notes tucked in my phone case. For emergencies.
    The move towards a cashless society is largely driven by those less familiar with the more difficult aspects of the lower social spectrum.
    i know exactly what JD & ST are referring to. & what about sex workers, addicts & the homeless..?
    There but for the grace of god & all that. o_O

SuperTyke likes this.
  10. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure why some people use the term “he’s from that generation where….”. Where they can’t use a computer? Where they can’t cope with online banking or using debit/credit cards? I think all of that applies to all age groups, not just the older generation. I’ve been IT literate for 35 years and check my online bank account every day to make sure all is on order. I’d rather have things emailed to me than bits of paper. There’s nothing in this modern financial world that scares me. I understand that not everyone of my age is confident with it all but it’s best not to use the “generation” argument about everything. We’re all different, whatever the age.

11. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s a certain ignorance to the the larger, less fortunate patterns of life, going on JD.? :(

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah exactly. My MANY female clients pay exclusively in cash and I need somewhere to spend it.

Another thing that's overlooked when people say how easy it is to be card only is that it's actually getting harder and harder to do that once youve got cash. I used to be able to go to a bank in hoyland, wombwell, barnsley, meadowhall, wath, rawmarsh, Rotherham, Sheffield and many more places to pay money into my bank. Now I can't do that as they've all shut so I'm stuck with the money that Barnsley FC don't want

13. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have cash jobs too, it often needs banking to cover outgoings, which is a pain in the arse.
    There’s definitely a privileged, white male tone to the cashless society obsession..
    If I had a teenager daughter, or even son, I’d insist they had a least a cab fare home on their person, at ALL times..

SuperTyke likes this.
  14. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Old Trafford, Etihad, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Tottenham, London Stadium. All cashless. Selhurst park, craven cottage, amex, vitality stadium (Bournemouth), Goodison park, turf moor, Villa park, city ground, molineux, Brentford, even Kenilworth road, cashless. Only st James park appears to take cash in the whole of the premier league. And I suspect that might change, they certainly encourage cashless payment.

Locally, Donny is cashless, Hillsborough is cashless, Bramall lane is cashless, New York stadium cashless. Elland Road, cashless. John Smiths stadium. Cashless. Valley parade, guess what?

Our competitors in league one? Pride park, fratton park, DW stadium, Peterborough, cashless. University of Bolton stadium only takes cash in the ticket office and outside fan zone, inside the stadium itself is cashless. Bloomfield road, memorial stadium bristol, cashless. LNER stadium, Lincoln, cashless. Bit of a theme… Some of the smaller grounds look like they take cash but nearly all ‘recommend’ or ‘encourage’ the use of contactless payment.

You might not like it and I know some people do prefer to pay cash - but this isn’t a stick to beat the club with. It’s pretty much standard practice, across the board in professional football, at least at a good level. Not just football either, Headingley is cashless, Wembley is for everything it hosts, sport and entertainment. Twickenham is cashless.

Cash transactions take a lot of time - and are a big contributor to the ridiculously slow service at the kiosks and outlets. Only the smaller clubs and grounds still take cash. I can see what people are saying but the club shouldn’t be criticised for simply aligning itself with 99% of its competition - and also shouldn’t be criticised for making things quicker and more convenient for the vast majority of its custom, rather than keep a time heavy practice in place for the benefit of a small minority who can’t or won’t pay by card to the detriment of everyone else.

The argument about financial abuse etc. very emotive. It is horrifying how common that is.

But I’d ask this: How many people being controlled by their partners are attending football games for in excess of two hours at a time? Are football clubs expected to not move with the times due to that? I know it sounds harsh but they are trying to make money, is it reasonable to detriment thousands to the benefit of a couple of people?

If there are abused people able to escape for an afternoon - and I hope there are - and have cash to spend - which I hope they do - then they could get a prepaid debit card in person from a number of outlets with no ID and no questions, which isn’t ideal, as there are fees, but it is possible.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  15. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can pay cash into any U.K. bank account in any post office if you have your bank card on you.

All of the places you must have one of those I believe?

16. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wonder how quickly people would change their mind if the wife was watching their bank account and getting notifications for each pint they bought? I don’t imagine it would take too many awkward conversations (or hits if the wife got physical) for people to start remembering the good old days of cashless when they could have a couple and pretend it was only half when they got home.

Farnham_Red and SuperTyke like this.
  17. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Didn't look any diferrent approaching over the fields from Monk Bretton. What's new?

18. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think in 10 years there will be any banks on the highstreet, went to collect my Chinese takeaway the other night the woman said " cash only" so I went to the coop to use the ATM, out of order, had to travel over 2 Miles to find one, they are concreting over loads of ATM's down here, it's good they take cash but not offering a card machine makes me wonder is it the cost ? or is it a tax avoidance thing,I.e the money can't be traced ?

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cost. Costs us a LOT more at work to take card payments than cash. Calculated recently at around £30,000 extra per year in costs if everyone switched to card

20. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably both of those things. I am sure businesses have to pay the card companies for every transaction. I lost my high street bank - TSB Harrogate - a few years ago and it's not a huge inconvenience to me because there are still plenty of cash machines around the town should I need any. There have been times when I have had lumps of cash to pay in - private sale of household goods for example - and my only option is to use my free bus pass on the 36 bus to Leeds and travel down The Headrow to the local branch there. I'd rather not drive and pay the parking charges.

Mind you, the last time I did this they told me that I can use my local post office to pay money into the TSB if I need to. I'm not sure if this applies to other banks as well. I imagine that in the next few years all the smaller bank branches, like TSB, will be gone forever.

portsmouth tyke likes this.