[Official Site] CLUB STATEMENT | FRONT OF SHIRT SPONSOR

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Aug 12, 2022.

1. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or the marketing director has direct responsibility for all things linked to marketing and as a result doesn’t need his sign off or an Owner did the deal and handed to him.
    I know this is not normal business practice but it is a Football club so as we know often normal doesn’t apply.

2. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    At the moment none of us know really what happened. I’m no fan of Our CEO but to say he should be fired either because it was his fault or if it wasn’t it should have been his fault so he should be fired anyway is uncalled for

lk311, Redarmy87 and JLWBigLil like this.
  3. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    personally I've lost confidence in the CEO. I'd probably agree this was the final straw. absolutely 100% behind the outcome on hex, and ultimately it's been a decisive response. however for me, serious questions now need to be asked about judgment. I keep coming back to this '99.9% autonomy'...and that was under Conway.

none of us know how the deal came about, or who's idea it was. but as CEO, he has key accountability for me. even if it was completely someone else's legwork to bring them in, which is entirely possible, he should have made sure it was a credible partnership and that the right due diligence was done. I also totally agree that had it not been for fan response, they would still be sponsors.

I guess there's a scenario where the board have somehow 'voted him down' on it and essentially taken the decision out of his hands. quite possible that may have happened. in which case, I would argue his remit as CEO is highly questionable.

with everything else that's gone on, I personally don't think this can or should just be swept under the carpet. it's been a huge failing at board level. it's not a witch hunt for me, it's an enquiry into accountability, to rebuild trust and confidence that they're fit for purpose.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  4. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Speculation has run rife the last few days. Different people to blame, just the CEO to blame, hints of it being brought to us by hedge fund investors, JAQ influence, James Cryne taking a leading role, purely just the Commercial Director, an agency, etc.

Proof that we leap to deciding (and in some cases insisting) what the outcome should be without even knowing the full story whatsoever. Patience is always key, as is being reflective about your own work experiences over the years.

It could possibly be that this was an honest oversight brought about by nothing more than the urgency we were working at to get a sponsor (another speculative scenario). The step of taking due diligence has obviously been missed somewhere along the way, but if that was just genuine and honest human error, do we need to be claiming ‘heads should roll’?

Words should be had, internally and behind closed doors, but I’m not sure anyone should advocate for job losses as a result, especially if this results in us never being in this position again and we clearly learn from it.

We’ve got what appears to be an excellent head coach. We’re got former players from different eras at every level of the coaching staff. We’ve won two of our first three and have Leeds away in the cup (a potential £300k windfall). We appear to have abandoned the filter on the spreadsheet that restricted age and appearances, and are looking on these shores, often for the better players in the lower divisions. We signed a 31 year old. We’re turning down bids that aren’t good enough for our players. Nearly 8,000 season ticket holders. Close to 10,000 home fans for the opening game. Nearly 1,500 going to Derby. A new board of directors that appear to want to make decisions based on results on the pitch ahead of financial or commercial priorities. Really strong links with the community and charities, as good as I’ve seen. Fan engagement ideas and initiatives beyond what we’re used to.

We’re getting things wrong, as all clubs do. And sadly for us it’s lots of minor positives up against some significant negatives. But it isn’t all bad. It isn’t all a disaster. And some of the progress we’ve made is exactly what certain supporters were asking for 3-6 months ago.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. But at least now our Rome is going to be at Oakwell and not Rotherham, Wigan or Bradford.

5. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A logical, well reasoned and sensible post Loko.
    It puts perspective on the last week or so and I would hope that the thousands and thousands of fans who don't come on this forum will be feeling the same way.
    We can but hope.

Loko the Tyke and RedInBlackrod like this.
  6. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All perfectly reasonable.
    Due diligence should have been done though. That's just an absolute fundamental requirement.
    That said I'd much rather be where we are now in terms of the broad picture than where we were six months ago.

Redhelen, 55&counting and JLWBigLil like this.
  7. Fea

Fearless Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    100% this.

55&counting likes this.
  8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good to hear mate. I'm sure many on here will join me in sending my best wishes to him.

scarf, JLWBigLil and Loko the Tyke like this.
  9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely.

10. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    agree - there is a sense of optimism about the Club - something that has been lacking for a few seasons.
    Excellent head-coach - good results - appointment of Colgan and Eaden etc etc - let's focus on the positives.

..and if someone wants to castigate the person who initially got it wrong with Hex let them also praise whoever got it right by negotiating leaving Hex.

55&counting likes this.
  11. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

I think every Barnsley fan should post the words scam, scam, scam…. They’re trying to cancel the clubs online presence.

Redhelen likes this.
  12. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They’ll get bored eventually. Worst thing we could do would be to engage.

Austiniho and JamDrop like this.
  13. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, they want two things: advertisement and new victims. Once they realise they won’t get either of those things here they’ll bugger off.

Marc and Austiniho like this.
  14. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The CEO should oversee all. It could well have been endorsed by the Comms director, and that opens other wounds, but ultimate responsibility is always the CEO.

I just hope a proper investigation is held and honest responsibility is taken.

Exile likes this.
  15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    If Bristol is cooler, I’d definitely have stayed there!

Just back from a local walk and it’s horribly hot.

I love London, but the extreme retained heat in summer isn’t pleasant at all.

Redarmy87 likes this.
  16. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We had no choice unfortunately as my girlfriend had an appointment. Went in two pubs just to cool off, which is rare for me nowadays! But we had the car (with air con fortunately) and it was good to get a couple of bits on Portobello market after years of not visiting. I got my first flat cap(!) and a ring. Bristol is very hot today, as is Birmingham (currently sat on the swing in my Mother-in-Law's garden).

Stay cool and hydrated!

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  17. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its 27 degrees in the living room with all windows closed and curtains drawn. I envy your air con!!!

missus having a snooze so I suspect we’ll have another little walk and then sit in the garden as the air hopefully cools. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to it raining!!!

Hope you’re getting lots of breeze from the swing!

Redarmy87 likes this.
  18. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You don’t know that though you are assuming based on normal business practice.

19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    You’re right, I’m assuming a CEO on nearly £200k a year is responsible for the running of the club and has ultimate say unless owner approval is required.

Every path leads to his decision or being over ruled. Both end in dismissal or honourable resignation.

20. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    @Loko the Tyke - I don't believe I've seen anyone suggest the decision to properly carry out due diligence was intentional and by design. But are you really suggesting that a honest oversight makes it all ok? Because if so, maybe we shouldn't have got rid of Schopp or Asbaghi as I believe they did their best and weren't intentionally sh*t.

I know I'm being provocative btw. I'm just trying to make the point that everything can't be excused even if it was an honest mistake.

Nevertheless, I agree with lots of the rest of your post.

churtonred and SuperTyke like this.