[Official Site] MARKUS SCHOPP PREVIEWS READING CLASH

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair point. They negotiate a buy out clause for when things are going well, so would make sense for a lower ‘pay out’ clause for underachieving.

2. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Vague gobbledegook from the big book of empty platitudes, time for him to get gone.

3. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He fails to add...and the out come is we now have plenty of new jumpers and pyjamas from these sewing and knitting patterns

4. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Sounds like he's just had em in for knitting.
    Edit: I was beaten to that joke!

shed131 likes this.
  5. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only just...lol
    if only a journalist had had the balls to ask ....and what size of needles do you plan to use....

KamikazeCo-Pilot likes this.
  6. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    To be honest, I'd hope that wasn't the case. A season goes through twists and turns and peaks and troughs (some bigger than others). And some are dictated by injuries, sales and various other temporary factors. If an ultimate relegation is achieved, fine, but something so short term and arbitrary, I'd very much disagree with.

7. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just because the clause is there, doesn't mean the club have to invoke it. If they think the manager is still the best man for the job there is no need to sack him. It just protects them from having to pay out 3 years worth of wages as part of a contract settlement.

Performance based pay is pretty much the norm in football, and I've no doubt if Schopp was to miraculously get us promoted he'd be on a big bonus plus a wage rise, so I guess it's fair.

John Peachy likes this.
  8. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I would think such a clause would drive up the wages required as the coach is taking greater risk on board of which they can have minimal control. Lets say Conway goes on a selling spree in January and we're left with an extremely weak first team. It could then allow him to sack the coach on the cheap.

I'm not sure thats fair to anyone.

If you live by the sword you die by the sword. Seek compensation. You pay yours when its due. I agree something to minimise a whole contract may be agreeable, but obviously the coach signing the deal has to be amenable to that.

9. Deafening Silence

Deafening Silence Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's difference between a manager and a head coach though. The coaching role means you agree to work within the confines of the parameters dictated by the club.
    If I give someone a contract at work, it's usually with a probation period where performance is measured. If that performance isn't met I can either terminate the employment or extend the probation. If i terminate the contract based on performance I don't have to pay them the next 9 months. Obviously a fixed term contract protects the club if the coach wants to leave, and guarantees a payout to the head coach if it all goes wrong and the club sack him.

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    For some reason, employment law rarely seems to extend to the world of football head coaches.

I'd be surprised if there aren't stipulations in his contract, but having a probationary period just isn't going to happen because of how arbitrarily it would be judged. We've had 3 games and lost them all by the odd goal.. oh no, sack him before he finishes the probation period! It just wouldn't work in football and we'd likely see even higher wages and even shorter tenures.

I'm content with a payout if we sack him, particularly at the moment when he's inherited the mother of all messes. Fairs fair.

11. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apologies if already posted but I haven't read the rest of this thread.
    I find Jordan Williams comments in the Chronicle worrying. The players have been putting their own ideas across. Basically the head coach hasn't got a ******* clue what he's doing!

12. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hopefully we see some improvement in style and performance after 2 weeks off . Back to basics required , high press / and attack with a purpose rather than the slow laboured ***** we’ve had so far

lk311 likes this.
  13. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read a paper the other week by a Cambridge student that basically demonstrated a manager after playing 10 games and averages less than 0.76 points is sacked. It also went on to show that almost without exception there was a new manager bounce but very rarely was it sustained.
    If I recall rightly with the last defeat he had just fell under the 0.76.
    Given how data driven we are, perhaps he is now on the cusp and could explain why not gone yet.

Slight caveat in the above in that it was written a few years ago and was based on the PL, so the numbers are probably different.

I would also add if it’s true we were willing to pay £400k release fee, it is likely we offered decent terms including salary and contract(relative of course).

Connor likes this.
  14. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not what it says does it?
    Clearly says they’ve always known their roles/identity but the players have struggled to change to it.