Palmer and Moon and a diktat from above

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by pontyender, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Conway has spoken on numerous instances outside of the football club. Either in general press ego trips, or when first taking over at another club ad having to put a bit of upfront smarm on display, picking out some of the better things they've seen occur at their clubs and spinning it as a mark of genius from their very own fair hand.

So when I see articles like this, I treat them with caution. I think part is likely self ego stroking and saying stuff that probably isn't there to the depth he would like. I recall he cited every single Barnsley player ringing every single fan to thank them in the close season before they bought Esbjerg. On very simple scrutiny, many fans said they'd not been contacted.

Do I think Conway has direct influence on picking the team? No. Could he maybe dabble and mess here and there and say a certain player should be sold, maybe. Do I think he is a data genius that utilises it to make effective valuable decisions for the benefit of the club? Not even slightly. Do i think they may dictate to coaches what formation? Maybe. Theres certainly notional evidence that could prioritise say 3 forwards given our striker signing spree, particular as our last 2 coaches didn't favour 3 forwards.

I think much of the stuff we hear is a screen to cover for the fact they are chancers, speculatively buying clubs in distress and hoping to make a fairly quick buck for either themselves, or whoever funds them.

2. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The article says the Nancy coach was being told to play an unnamed French U17 international. I'm guessing this is Lamine Cisse, who had only one first team appearance before the interview and was then selected regularly at the start of the current season. Conway's claims should always be taken with a pinch of salt though, so it's possible that he's 'bigging up' his involvement in that as well. Moon and Palmer playing so much has certainly been strange, so we can be forgiven for thinking 2 + 2 does equal 4 where these two are concerned. It has to be said...the Esbjerg player Phun Mang still hasn't played a first team game - so the coach there doesn't seem to be listening - but despite their supposed policy of giving young Danish players a chance, they've shipped some of our youngsters over there. Half the regular outfield players have been Barnsley lads: loanees Winfield, Wolfe and Schmidt, plus permanents Pache and Simpson. No wonder they are struggling in 8th of 12 in the second tier with so much inexperience.

3. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What annoys me on this is that Conway is giving it the big un as usual making out he was so successful in bringing in a few million for 3rd division players (job done!) but in the same breath fails to mention it was to the absolute detriment of the following 12 months in the 2nd division. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we held on to some quality players and built some consistency.. I know it's 'the model', but they must literally be saying to all new signings, get yourself in, perform reasonably well, build your stats up and we'll ship you out in no time; you'll double your wages and we'll make some dough, everyone wins (except the fans who have to watch the dross on the field).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Connor likes this.
  4. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    A thoroughly depressing read, that offers no light at the end of the tunnel as it is crystal clear that they believe in what they are doing despite all the evidence to the contrary.

And my dry January still has some way to go.
    Doubly Depressing.

Connor likes this.
  5. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can sort of see why you can put 2+2 together for Palmer. It is odd that he is playing, with Hondermarck on the bench. But I've no idea what we would have to gain from it, given he'll be leaving on his contract expiring in the summer. Hondermarck's reputation is also getting better for every game he doesn't feature in. But I think it's different for Moon, I think he's only started one of the last 7 games, and that was because Helik was injured, and given Sibbick is either unavailable, or outcast, then when we lose a defender, it's either Moon or Sraha to come in.

6. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Moon seemed undroppable up to the end of November. Maybe Schopp was told to play him but Asbaghi wasn't.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Getting 'Diktat' into a thread title is pretty much the coolest thing I've seen for years.