Penny pinching board virtually giving players away

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by arpete, Aug 3, 2022.

1. arp

arpete Well-Known Member

educating the masses
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1. If reports are correct that Barnsley are prepared to sell a 26year old centre half who is an international for Poland for a measly £1.6 million then the CEO and board deserve all the critism that comes their way. Helik is worth much more than that and everybody knows it. We will of course get the old tosh' wanted to go, wants to go back to Poland where somebody is from etc. but it doesn't hide the fact that we continue to underprice our sales despite who is on the board.

2. bfc

bfcjeff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon they're just $hit at it, oh and they'll make quite a few grand each aswell.

Wuz1964 and Stephen Dawson like this.
  3. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And yet every fee we've received has been undisclosed. Chat about helik has been constant on here and social media, slating everyone involved. Simple fact is we just do not know.
    Maybe nobody wants him other than one club and he's said he will refuse to play for us again.
    Maybe we will get all the money youve mentioned and spend half of it on another Sam winnall. Nobody knows the ins and out

The amount of speculation is absolutely mental. People can't wait to slag this club off to high hell. We simply do not have a clue on anything.

So be patient and give duff time and judge them in 3 months

4. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Aye it makes sense. The people that actually have to manage the budget, look after the money etc. are purposely getting less money than they can.

In what world does that make sense? What would be the purpose?

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Penny pinchers aren't what they used to be. I remember, back in day, they used to be right misers. Never buying a pint, squirreling away all their brass, short arms and deep pockets. Now they're offering quality goods at knock down prices. T'old Ebenezer will be spinning in his grave.

6. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe that's because it's a gibbering wreck and the sooner it becomes a Tesco the better. It's an embarrassment.

7. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He has 12 months left on his contract and clubs know we’re skint. We also have a reputation for selling cheap. They can just play a waiting game then step in. It’s especially so this season as we need the cash just for our very existence.

8. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Though I’m pretty amazed a top end Championship club isn’t keen to stump up £2m for a CH as good as Helik, who’s a goal threat too in the right team.

9. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    It's not just a measly £1.6 million. Every report has referred to it as £1.6 million up front, or £1.6 million + add ons.

That's even if it's true. It could be more or less than that. But if we're going to believe everything we read, at least read it properly before you jump to conclusions.

TitusMagee likes this.
  10. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i can tell you exactly what Helik is worth................... only what someone is willing to pay

11. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Im not sure what we paid to know what the ROI is. I wouldn't think if its 1.6m the profit will be much. Also if there will be any sell ons to pay out.

on face value it doesn't look good but we don't know the details so hard to judge.

Its seems from what we know, that our abilities to find talents and then maximise the sell on revenue has not been very good the last few years. Most of our departures appear to be done at a time where we are on the back foot ie last contract year, relegation year, and we dont seem to have developed enough value in the players we sell.

I don't think anyone could argue our ROI transfer revenue and ability to develop player’s commercially then negotiate good deals has been great.

wolvestyke likes this.
  12. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

Everywhere I have read is £1.2 million plus add ons… which may or may not come to fruition.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/barnsley-defender-poland-international-michal-143900782.html

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  13. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I thought that if the reports are right the fee is only £1.250m guaranteed?

14. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Austiniho likes this.
  15. jedi one

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    he's got 10 months left to run on his contract, about 9 of those are playing months ( aug-may) then factor in the world cup, 6-8 weeks, so you're getting 1.5m for a player you can use for roughly 6-7 months, thats not barring injuries. whats he going to be worth in the next window when he's got a couple of months left ?

16. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

After a World Cup tournament under his belt?

17. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Our starting negotiating position on Helik is very weak.

He's only got 12 months left on his contract. After which, he walks on a free. The player will want to leave for his international future, in a world cup year. He's a month from his 27th birthday so I'd expect him to be wanting to play at the highest level he can given he's likely in his prime years.

We're obviously in a financial mess desperate to cut our cloth to a much smaller size and the transfer market where we most likely have sold Helik to, a top/mid Championship side is suppressed. That may change if a glut of championship players suddenly get picked up by Prem sides, but we might not see spending levels like we did pre pandemic for a very long time, ideally ever. But that doesn't help us now, nor the allegation of a strategy that we are supposed to have followed.

The danger for us is if we say no too firmly. We have to sell players like Helik and Styles. For as much as we can, but if it's just not there, there is larger peril in still having these players on our books and failing to get any fee for them.

I'm no fan of what I've seen from our current CEO, but you can't blame him wholly for market forces and lack of interest at a level that could look lucrative. I'd like to be getting nearer £2.5m up front but I can understand why that is unlikely.

wolvestyke and Archerfield like this.
  18. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd suspect post world cup he'd hold out and leave on a free. He'd likely get a bigger signing on bonus and fee structure if there was no fee involved.

Austiniho and jedi one like this.
  19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    If he stays with us he's not going to the World Cup. The Polish manager spelled that out in no uncertain terms.

20. jedi one

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    who's going to fork anything out for a player they can get for free 3 months later ?

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.