Purely theoretical question regarding Woodrow.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Merde Tete, Aug 28, 2020.

1. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ooh, you shouldn't have said that! There goes your street cred!:D

2. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

As per usual, if we sell him we’d probably get around a million... with retained interest if he makes it into the Brazil national team.... and plays 10 games...

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Value is what someone is willing to pay, of course.

Value is also what someone can get away with paying. Wigan player values are suppressed artificially because of their position. Our values are suppressed because we've historically acquiesced at nominal rates.

No need for any self reflection on my part, but you might want to do some more yourself given the odd personal and condescending nature of parts your first two replies. As per.

4. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    You should know I always call things as i see them and happy to be on either side of a debate and not shy to disagree with good people, nor call out the vile things that sadly go on around us. And i firmly stand by what I said about you, and will do again ;-)

JLWBigLil likes this.
  5. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    and condescending

6. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Hello troll. Wondered how long it would be.

7. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you, old friend, and it is appreciated.

8. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We do seem to underestimate the value of players in the UK. We did it with Dykes, currently doing it with Whiteman, and some of it seems to translate in fees we accept for players.

That said, I don't think it's as simple as basing Woodrow's value on Toney's transfer fee. We don't know how many clubs would see Woodrow as a good fit (Brentford chose to bid for Toney over Woodrow after all), and also the financial position of the club. There might be a figure that the club have in mind that means we can keep Chaplin, Brown and maybe even get an improved offer in front of Mowatt, but people will hear figures put out by the buying club and we'll feel we've been fleeced.

Hooky feller likes this.
  9. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you think that for one minute that Peterborough would let a contract run out and get nowt. Valuations are the question. You can only get what someone is prepared to pay. Length of contract being a big plus. Which the board are criticised either way they play it. Too short for some too long for others. This board have stated their case on giving long term contracts. But it comes at a price.
    Players out on loan cos nobody will pay the contracted players terms. Players signing long term not wishing to extend. You harp on about decades. Gior. We’ve had the pants down either way. Tis football. Harp on about Peterborough all you want. Given our history if you like ( decades) Give me tarn anyday . We are not in the elite whether we disagree or not.

10. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did we even bid for Dykes though? Agents throwing our name out there with players to get their player a move and to increase the fees they get for themselves. I saw nothing official that said we'd made a bid for Dykes and haven't seen anything that says we're in for Whiteman either (I hope we are).

There's also the argument that we either undervalue or other teams pay over the odds. Depends on if we were interested in the first place and what that player goes on to achieve. Dykes could be another Conor Sammon

Redhelen likes this.
  11. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    How do you know what a club will actually pay if you never say no? Our issue is our respective owners have been so desperate for the money and our "strategy" so open and obvious that we invite low bids.

Its the same in many fields, the more desperate you are, the less you'll get. If we fear never getting good bids for our very best assets, then of course they'll always accept low bids and perceive they could never have got more. While the buying club laugh, the agents laugh and then coming knocking again for the next bargain.

Remember Steve Bruces amused openness that Hourihane was only around £1m? And Allardyce saying he got Vaz Te for about £200k? And when it finally came out we only got £2.2m for Stones.

If you're going to leave so much on the table everytime, you might as well swallow the contract value and try and get an extra year out of them to benefit the team, but then we'll hear the old chest nut that all players in the last year of their contract will effectively strike if they don't get sold.

We're a soft touch, unless we start playing hardball, this so called strategy simply wont work.

12. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is there a need to continually keep calling people trolls for no reason? Can't you either drop it, allow other people a point of view or stop antagonising people? It's people like you who stop people using the site.

There's just no need.

13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Vaz Te had a minimum fee release clause. He might not have signed if we didn't put it in. I also don't think anyone expected him to perform as well as he did considering we plucked him from the depths of Raith Rovers and he really was in the last chance saloon football wise. If Butterfield hadn't have been crocked by Michael Brown does Allardyce even make a bid for him? That hat-trick and those headlines got him on people's radar.

Your points are valid but using examples of players with 12 months, or in Hourihane's case six months, of their contract remaining isn't a true comparison with fees. Thankfully the owners are trying to resolve that with players coming in on 4/5 year deals, extensions being actioned in our favour, youngsters signing long term deals. Time will tell though but it's a positive move.

If Woodrow stays for next season who's to say we haven't turned down offers for him throughout the Summer? We'd never go public on that. It only ever comes out when it's in the interest of the agent.

TitusMagee and Tyke_67 like this.
  14. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I just unblocked you for this comment, as I saw marlon (blocked a long long time ago) and loko had liked it, so suspected it related to me.

I only call it a troll, because it is. It's been trolling me for well over a year now. And it just can't help itself. So however long it keeps trolling, I'll keep calling it a troll. And I agree, there is no need for it to troll, so please do tell it so too. I won't have to call it one then and everyone is content. Simple.

15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Henri Lansbury had 6 months at Forest and signed for £3.5m. We got £1m for a much better player with assists galore with much more career ahead of him.

And if a player is so much in the last chance saloon, is it wise to put in a release clause (weren't we told there were none left after previous disasters?)

16. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What if the only way to get the player to sign is to have the release clause? Who knows. I'm just saying that's why the fee was what it was not because the club accepted a low offer. They offer no real benefit to the club unless you're in Spanish league territory where it's hundreds of millions.

Don't forget this is a player that most Barnsley fans had written off when he was hauled off at half time away at Pompey. And like I've said, if Jacob Butterfield doesn't get crocked against Leeds does he even get to play in the Premier League.

17. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok. But just try and ignore him then and try not to antagonize. Then maybe you both move forward, perhaps.

I've no beef with anyone really, and i can drop things that may have been arguments in the past. Let bygones be bygones, life's too short mate

TitusMagee likes this.
  18. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Why did he block you ?
    I’ve never sen a post from you Antagonise or abuse anybody never mind him .

19. YT

YT Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Toney hasn't left yet, but the talk we've heard is of £4m and performance related add ons. Not sure where £10m is coming from? Probably Darragh. I remember Marcus Maddison supposedly going to this club and then that club, for £10m and he's currently a free agent after stinking out Hull City for six month. Allegedly going to Derby though, which would be a weird one. Good though, for other clubs like us. Because with Tom Lawrence already there, there's a team who'll have two wingers/forwards who flat-out refuse to work hard. Which is why they're not at the top end of the division, never mind the big league. Talent without application seems to be a dying skillset.

No comment on Cauley, naturally, but I have to laugh at anyone knocking the Ebe Eze valuation. Incredible footballer.

He's no Callum Styles, mind. :D

55&counting likes this.
  20. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How do you know they’ve never said no to an amount obviously you know all that as fact. Rather than appears. You must be the fly on the wall. To have such proof. You’ve taken what you deem a statement from Steve Bruce. On transfer market the fee was £3.15m I truly don’t know the truth.
    Re stones £3m + sell on clause how much do I know as fact absolutely zero.
    Vaz te and Adam Hammill had conditions written into their contracts. As to if a club Approached with the figure agreed they were allowed to talk to them. Hence I believe they would only sign given that condition. ( happens all the time) Other clubs were in for Hammill. But we were the only ones Willing to take him up on it. Wolves cashed in.
    my point in the main is you appear you know everything as fact . that goes on behind closed doors when in fact you don’t. If it helps neither do I. Most fees are undisclosed and the only way proof I assume can be established as to what has been received or paid out will be in the company accounts. And they only appear in instalments as most fees are rarely, if ever paid in full at point of sale.
    As to having pants down.
    I wonder
    if bury had their pants down over Styles
    Sollbauer Wolfsbeg
    Mowatt. Halme. Odour Leeds
    Collins Chelsea.
    Pretty sure most of the fans of their previous clubs rated them highly. and thought they were worth a lot more than they got. Or would have if not gone for sell on clauses.

Tyke_67 likes this.