Q&A with Khalid

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you name many clubs that have made money in the recent past (pre-Covid that is)?

2. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    None pretty much? But they're all building towards that opportunity to make money. Either through sponsorship opportunities, future sales of the club, player trading, etc.

3. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect this is way more to do with building up a network of clubs and exploiting whatever opportunities they believe such a situation represents. I have always struggled to see how they might achieve much value through the management of our club’s P&L. I had a conversation with a fellow supporter the other day who appears to believe that it’s simply their hobby! :)

4. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was speaking about football in general rather than our owners specifically. That's what my 'they' referred to.

I get a headache everytime I try and understand what our owners might be doing or thinking.

Hooky feller and Old Gimmer like this.
  5. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I guess there are many reasons regarding money for owning a club. I can speculate that some owners might see an opportunity to ‘distribute’ their money rather than directly profiteer. Our owners have stated they will run us stand alone meaning they wont put their hands in their pockets. So where does that leave us or the ground. Not many clubs are owned by ‘a fan’ these days and the emotional attachment isn't there from them. Interestingly as a fan i seem to be adapting the same model. Of late my emotional attachment has wained and im not putting my hand in my pocket or wasting time in attending. Just like the owners.