Que the Scots, Welsh and scoucers

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedfearnsRocket, Jul 10, 2024.

1. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They move here and integrate over generations - plenty on the Internet about it as the reasons behind this.

Mr C likes this.
  2. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There the academic reseasons and the research that's been done on the subject all there for you to have a look - choose to believe or not and trying to compare Manchester with Liverpool is like apples and pears

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    Mr C likes this.
  3. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't know if you misunderstood my opening sentence mate. I was agreeing with you. Re Barnsley.
    We have very few come live here from other parts of the uk/ireland. Or world even. An influx of Europeans maybe. But a very small number.
    Plenty of Scots moved down for mining but few of any of the others.
    My question is. Would you say more scousers hate England as a country or in sport, (if the case then I'd be quite happy for em to move elsewhere.) than don't. Reports say exaggerated on the latter.
    Or is it political. Tories in particular. Historic and Royalty (as in anthem) . Cos most of us on here would identify with that as well. The historic part less so. Somewhat ashamed of some of the past. ( I class myself as english 100% but part of my heritage and surname is irish) But as said. We shouldn't be held to account for stuff that happens centuries ago. I dont go round blaming the Germans of today for the actions of the Nazis of the early 20th century. People need to move on. Not stick in the past.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  4. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My apologies for the misunderstanding- I wouldn't say vast majority do hate England. Plenty of support for them during the Euros - been a few flags at the game as well

Mr C and Hooky feller like this.
  5. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember Geoff Boycott once saying. He wishes one day. More Asians in future will wear England shirts and Not Asian ones to the games. It's happening slowly. but it will take more generations to be more noticeable. Certainly not my lifetime.

6. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Barnsley would have taken a few pens like that last season,

7. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most people seem happy to call the Beatles English, Probably the greatest export in music we ever had, combined with London based bands, like the Stones, Kinks & Small Faces from London. Liverpool is a wonderful city & I know many Reds & Blues. I don't mind if other nations don't support us at football, that is their right, they have plenty of historical reasons for that TBH.

8. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's often a gut thing about how you perceive yourself. I was born in Barnsley, as were my parents and Grandparents but my Great Grandparents came here in the late 19c from Mayo; so that makes me ....Irish!

I didn't used to be. I considered myself English until I was 16. The move away was due to 2 factors: First learning about English/Irish History. **** me - the English don't come out of that well - they still don't, even in this century. The 2nd was the Strike. I can't understate how that changed my whole outlook on who I was and what I believed in. My Dad had always brought us up to respect Authority but Jesus Christ. The strike saw the whole power of the State brought down on my community - Men, Women and Children battered into subservience. The Police, security services, media, Royals, Armed Forces, benefit system - everything in order to destroy a part of the population (my population!) - and it did. My Father - even though I saw him beaten senseless by 4 'Police Officers' at Orgreave, insisted it was still important to respect the 'institutions'. Safe to say we took a different view and I found it a bit hard to sing Rule Britannia after witnessing that long, long year. Safe to say I now see myself as Irish but very much shaped by my South Yorkshire upbringing where I get most of my principles and views on life.

Loads of others went through what I went through and they didn't turn out the way I did and fair play to them. So if it's anything to do with Ireland - England, I'm wearing Green. Having said all that, I really like Southgate and this group of England players. They put up with huge amounts of **** from their own fans and their own media and manage to put it to one side - I couldn't!

And here they are - one game away from Champions of Europe. I wish them well on Sunday - even if Spain do have a slight advantage in that they can play football properly! (oops - you see - I can't help it)

9. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In one 9 month period alone during the famine, 269,000 Irish emigrants came to Liverpool...by 1851, 13% of Lancashire's population was Irish born.

Mr C likes this.
  10. Slightly Balding

Slightly Balding Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tha wa alus a rebel laddie. :)

Dalestykes likes this.
  11. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Zzzzzzzz