Reading vs the Reds matchday thread

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Redhelen, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The Reading player got clean through by virtue of a suicidal balls up from Jordan Williams. No manager can legislate for that.

You might think Woodrow is one of the top strikers. The goals scored statistics suggest otherwise. But he was great today.

Redhelen likes this.
  2. ubi

ubique_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How long till derby are above us

3. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd have liked to have seen Cole brought on at that point because I thought Reading looked fairly open at the back and Coles natural striker instincts might have caused them problems but that's in no way a criticism of Odour who always tries his best.

Redhelen likes this.
  4. stairfoot.red

stairfoot.red Well-Known Member

Computer Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He can be involved in as many decent moves as you like but unless they lead to goals so what!!! Schopp insists on playing a way that just is not working and apart from a few halves of matches hasn't worked since day one so either the players aren't capable of playing that way or Schopp isn't capable of coaching them to play that way but it doesn't really matter which one it is. The tactics should have been changed weeks ago, only an idiot keeps trying the same way of doing things time after time when the end result is continuing failure. They've had 2 weeks to perfect the current way of playing or come up with something different and done neither.

Connor, churtonred and Kettlewell like this.
  5. dod

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It worries me how teams consistently get in behind us with just one pass.
    Woodrow for me has been about as effective as Schopp this season, plenty of good intent but never achieving what they set out to do, I'd cut Cauley a bit of slack though because of the lack of any pattern to our play.

GudjonFan likes this.
  6. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where was Frieser today btw? Was he in the squad? I've not really followed the game much, so if he was in the squad I apologise.

7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see a debate for that. I’m also massively unsure if Cole is even capable though and I thought as we were controlling the ball at times in positive positions, having Oduor on the ball delivering a better quality cross, or beating a man, might have made a difference.

Can see an argument for both but neither would be classed as bizarre.

dodgey defence likes this.
  8. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They also had two weeks hoping a couple of players would be added to the Starting XI rather than two more being taken away.

I think people need to understand you can think that Schopp hasn’t performed overall, but at the same time question the players’ contribution to the performances. It isn’t a case that one has to be exclusive of the other.

We created chances today and didn’t take them. We created lots of opportunities to create more chance, and didn’t take those either.

Redhelen likes this.
  9. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I agree with that.

Woodrow despite his age is one of those players who is not performance consistent. We have a few of those, but generally the older the player gets the more consistent the display.

If he was as good as he can be, all the time, he wouldn't be playing for us. So every cloud....

Redhelen and dodgey defence like this.
  10. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn’t see the game, but the second and third subs seemed odd in combination. At nil nil, it’s odour that he thinks can score or create a goal. As soon as we go one down he decides that it’s actually Cole that we need. Did odour move to LWB after the third change?
    The first sub also saw him land on a midfield two that he saw didn’t work at Blackburn.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  11. dod

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd like to see more of Cole he's got pace and a bit of presence and looks to get on the end of things.
    If not maybe we could get his dad to coach our strikers :D

12. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brittain seemed spent to me so switching Williams to RWB and dropping Oduor in on the left made total sense - especially when the plan was to be in the ascendancy which we were.

Prior to that bringing Oduor on also made sense to me. A lot of our possession was out wide or in front of their defence. His trickery and ability to deliver a cross, or potentially deliver one, was needed. We weren’t really getting in behind them that much. Hondermarck for Palmer was like for like. Again, nothing massively wrong there.

13. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree on Oduor, but disagree on Victor. His touch has improved and he won more battles than he lost.

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not seeing that at all tbh , he didn’t get a shot on target as far as I saw and lost the ball on numerous occasions .
    The only ones winning any forward battles were Cauley and Brittain and that was the detriment of his defensive coverings .

15. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So depressing. Despite a much improved all round performance, we still lose. We still fail to score from open play. One victory in thirteen league & cup games. I don't have an answer to all our problems, on and off the field. Rumours aplenty surrounding the club, but very few with a positive slant.
    I feel so low with regards to Barnsley Football Club and see nothing but darkness in a very dark tunnel, with no light of hope anywhere.

J..., Redhelen, Connor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Something is seriously wrong with Schopp’s training ground techniques if all these players are getting injured whilst not even playing competitive football.
    Does he just skip the warm ups/warm downs or does he encourage solid two footed tackling on the training ground but not in actual matches.
    I am not looking for a conspiracy, here, but something is just not quite right to have all these players out injured.

J... and Farnham_Red like this.
  17. dod

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Keep your chin up Biglil we've still got some very good players, we just need someone to organise and get the best out of them.

Airon c redscue, Connor and JLWBigLil like this.
  18. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    We have lost some of our key players from last season, but this drop off is is horrific. Then we have the shambles that is taking place off the field. We are in a very dark place.
    I think the longer Schopp stays the more likely we are to be relegated. I can't think of anything positive to say about him at all. Baffling team selections, poor substitutions, poor manner at the side of the pitch, no engagement with the fans and players seemingly critical of training.
    The only case I can think of for keeping him is he hasn't been given a lot of time and I'm sure we were a shambles behind the scenes before he came anyway.
    What a utterly depressing mess we are in.

19. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    there's always hope Kev, the darkest hour is before the dawn. Have to say my moods improved listening to the radio commentary, the players aren't giving up and that's the main thing as far as I'm concerned.

sadbrewer and JLWBigLil like this.
  20. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you for those comments, Helen. Can I just point out that it's just the club that's depressing me? My family and our new dog are an utter joy in my life. :D