Reds in Germany…..a thread

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dearnevalleyviper, Jun 14, 2024.

1. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We’re in Essen, ended up on my own, not the greatest of places to be walking back too……..that train station at ground was crazy, really suprised how poorly organised it seemed

2. cho

chop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think the late kick off didn’t help. Usually most German games finish earlier and the culture is people stay behind after the games with the bars serving well after the game. This tends to reduce the numbers at any one time.

3. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they win the group we play there again, we’re stopping near Cologne too so Christ knows what time we’ll get back of last night is anything to go by……..lad who’s with me didn’t get back till 2.45

4. cho

chop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The train I caught was direct to Cologne after Düsseldorf but I was lucky to be sat in section A with the exit fairly close to metro station so got a train just after midnight.

5. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got a tram at about 1am this morning from the ground. Horrendous queue and organisation. A local seemed to say it's not unusual for similar queues after Schalke games however. Managed to get a train at roughly 2am back to dusseldorf and they were running until 3.30am. Our tram broke down on the way to the ground and the 40 mins stuck in an airless hot tram qas as bad an experience as I've ever had.

The next one is in Frankfurt and in the middle of a forested area so I'll be walking!

6. MEX

MEXBOROUGHRED Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The tram station at the ground is always a nightmare, especially the late kick off (9 pm). Earlier kick off at least you can hang back and enjoy a few more beers at the ground to let it clear.

7. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My lad and I are just back. 4 nights staying in Cologne, trips to Dusseldorf for Slovakia v Ukraine (met some Barnsley fans outside who were really good guys), Dortmund for Turkey v Portugal, and Leverkusen for a stadium tour of Bayer Leverkusen. Did fan zones in all the host cities we visited including seeing Germany in Cologne on Sunday night. More friendly Reds fans on the tram in Cologne yesterday.

Absolutely awesome trip, seen a lot of complaints about train travel but apart from a few minor delays we didn't really have any issues. Gutted to be back.