Reform strongly predicted to win Barnsley North and Barnsley South

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They counted and found the number of votes counted didn't match the number of votes logged during the day so had to recount. Apparently this happened twice. But I don't think it's getting recounted again as someone has conceded so Angus MacDonald has won it. Fair play to him, it's quite the career change

Sestren and Redhelen like this.
  2. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The means by which people were told about Ipsos was apparently Sky. I have not blamed the messenger in any of my posts.

Your post, that "they bin the Labour MP off the first chance they get", and based upon a silly premise on election night without any factual basis, seems to refer to the Barnsley electorate rather than Reform voters. The Reform voters are the same Brexiters type bloc who got more than 30% of the vote in 2019. So esentially nothing much has changed.

The sensible posters used the word "if". "If" the projection is true etc.....

Redhelen likes this.
  3. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Parklife.

4. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Ipsos exit poll was the same one used by BBC, sky and itv. It is used at every election and is often very accurate. The BBC chose not to share the local information due to potential inaccuracies with the smaller parties. Sky did share it, hence this thread

sadbrewer and Redhelen like this.
  5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Obviously it means the Reform voters, as they would have been the ones who elected Reform, thereby binning off the Labour MP. Sensible people can also infer that the comments were based on if the prediction was true. If it wasn’t true, then obviously he wasn’t binned off so the comments don’t apply.

Mido, jjsmiff, Redhelen and 1 other person like this.
  6. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nowhere did anyone say the whole of Barnsley. I understand where you're coming from but it would have been shameful to be one of the few Reform seats which is what people were fretting about. Exit polls are usually very accurate, but obviously more on the overall number of seats than individual constituencies. They were confidently saying Corbyn was going to lose his sear but he got 49% of the vote.

7. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You're too nice to argue with. I'm done.

8. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you!

9. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When I saw the title of this thread, it was the most depressing moment of the evening. I saw images of Farage in the directors box with his ventriloquist dummy smile and a pint in his hand. Thank god it didn’t happen.

anstonred and Redhelen like this.
  10. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trying to put a bit of perspective on things

Whilst 22k is a big amount. around 13% of the Barnsley north and south population. Around 160,000.
    Either didn't vote. Vote, or under 18. 1.3 in 10.
    Given some may have voted for Nigel/Refom on policies that would have helped them. Not for the candidate who would have had to serve as an independent. I never looked whether that was mentioned on the ballot paper. I reckon we could put less than 1 in 10 as voted for racist policies.
    It is worrying that over half couldn't be bothered or make their mind up who to vote for. Much more than in 2019
    Pretty much guaranteed most racists did.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 4:06 PM
    anstonred likes this.
  11. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We all presume that everyone knows a bit about politics, but what about those that don't and have no interest in learning. I think I'd rather someone not vote than put a x against a nice logo, or name like I would when picking a horse to back. Yes, a bit of research would be nice, but some people just aren't bothered.

Hooky feller and Django like this.
  12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Correct. My Mrs hasn’t got a clue & has no interest in learning. If she voted she would only be copying mine or her parents vote.

There’s probably plenty of partners of Reform voters in the same boat so it’s not necessarily a bad thing that people aren’t forced to vote.

13. SamBfC90

SamBfC90 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    This is me, absolutely no interest in learning more than the basics, so I rely on others to tell you the truth, but then again I have ASD, so naturally have difficulty processing information. I tried doing the questionnaires a couple of times to determine who to vote for, but lost interest rather quickly. So eventually I just didn't vote. Not only that I just hate how everyone labels people if they vote a certain way.

One thing I will say, immigration is one of the more important issues for me, I want whoever is in charge to get a handle on it, so if I did vote, maybe reform would have been the way I would have gone, but I can categorically state I am not a racist, but then again different people have different interpretations to what being a racist is.

Either way politics is boring.

14. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sam you say
    "One thing I will say, immigration is one of the more important issues for me"
    I don't mean this to be rude or obtuse but can I ask why? What is the this concern about immigration so many people have? Asking for my own understanding as I have had the conversation with a number of people saying the same thing but no one can say why.
    I personally think the cost of living, NHS problems with GPs, dentists and waiting lists and lack of policing impact on everybody daily but so many say the biggest issue is immigration that it cannot just be racism. Is it because it is mentioned more?

15. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Personally I dont see why people have been getting so cross with one another about an election poll which, as it turns out, was not accurate anyway. This page is miles long now and I've just made it longer... :)

Redhelen likes this.
  16. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just my thoughts. Not facts.
    Every single party I believe wants to get a grip on preventing the boats rocking up with illegals and genuine asylum seekers (sadly the latter getting caught up in the situation). And some think this is a racist outlook.

Controlled immigration works in many countries. And many avenues need to be explored.

Most of us don't put genuine asylum seekers in the same frame. But It's a really difficult one as most of those crossing, seek a better life. Imo being an illegal is not the way forward for em.

Immigration is essential. For the country due to the lack of workers in certain areas. Australia being a prime example of similar.
    Racists dont accept that. Based on colour or creed.

The Boat people scenario is a really taboo subject for most on here I imagine, for fear of being labelled racist. Rather than just wanting a grip on the situation. Hence why imo Sam had to add the comment he did.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024 at 7:50 AM
    wakeyred likes this.
  17. Hooky feller

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just gone back over the early pages and wow. Glad I went to bed. Fearing the worst. From the exit poll.
    Some of the comments are more extreme than the racists.
    For 1 it amounts imo less than 1 in 10 voting for reform purely as racists. I gave my reasoning in a previous post.
    2. Barnsley is and always will be one of the most welcoming places to strangers. It's in our DNA. The biggest advocates of that are those strangers themselves.
    3. I do agree if reform had got in, the adverse effect it would have had on the rest of us. But that's not unusual. Don't forget all northern irish were terrorists as are all muslims. Bonkers really.
    4. Will it stop anyone Holidaying in Skegness. ? Bear in mind, hundreds if not thousands own caravans from south yorks. In the area.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024 at 8:00 AM
  18. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Immigration has been part of our history for centuries. We should have major concerns about the NHS, Policing, Public services and the Housing crisis but Immigration is being use as a factor for the problems with these services as the population enlarges but investment doesn't. Sadly the Reform lot play on the fears of people and as a few on here have said they have no interest in politics and get drawn to "It's them" policies of Farage and company, few could tell you what else Reform offer. We need properly controlled migration and hopefully Labour will deliver it.

19. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The irony of Nigel farage is that his first wife was an immigrant, he left her and got remarried to another immigrant who he left and shacked up with a different woman. Guess what, she was an immigrant.

He loves an immigrant does Nigel farage, just not the brown ones

Skinner likes this.
  20. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

I do think that you can’t ignore the estimated £8 million spent per day on hotels for illegal migrants, as it would significantly help the NHS, policing, etc.

Migration has always been a good thing for the UK, and the country needs it. But this part of it does need to be sorted.

wakeyred and Skinner like this.