Refs over Christmas and New Year

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Exile, Dec 23, 2022.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's it. Usually when you look at the history of a ref they do a few seasons in non league to get 100 or so games, then more to league two and once they have experience there, get some league one games.

2. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Except it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny, like anything posted by Dreamboy. I picked the bloke who reffed the Wednesday game as a random example, if you look at his history he had similar (if not worse) levels of experience before reffing at League 1 level. https://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/darren-handley/

He's looking for "evidence" to justify his sexism and then posting it without comparison, which is piss poor behaviour.

3. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    She was garbage throughout.

4. YTB

YTBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chortle.

JLWBigLil likes this.
  5. DriffieldRed

DriffieldRed Well-Known Member

bricklayer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went yesterday. She was absolutely hopeless. One of the worst, if not the worst I've ever witnessed. Embarrassing.

6. Red

Redblueunwhite Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the end of the day who would be a referee lol.

7. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, the referee was dreadful yesterday.

I’ve no doubt the other two on the list next week will be too.

The standard of officiating in this country is at an all time low. They’re so far off it it’s embarrassing and really is ruining the experience of watching football.

8. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly this. Not me. I’m willing to bet 95% of the people who have slagged off this ref and other refs would never put themselves through what is needed to become a ref.
    Just take a walk down to a local pitch on a weekend and witness the behaviour of grown adults towards referees. It’s disgraceful. There’s no way I’d do it.
    The pathway is long and difficult and the pay isn’t brilliant.
    So the result is a shortage of referees. Anyone who is involved in Junior football will know the reality of how hard it can be to get a ref.
    But there is a largely “untapped market” of female potential refs. Let’s not forget women weren’t considered to be involved in football until recently. So, the County FAs are incentivising groups of people to become involved - so that they can actually operate their Junior leagues, the ever growing number of Girls games, walking football games. The FA is targeting U16s, Women, Parents, - various groups have had the opportunity to access free or discounted training to join the ladder.
    One thing is for sure is that the girls/ women who enter this process endure far greater scrutiny than male counterparts. I’ve seen it many times.
    “Ooh we’ve got a lass reffing.” “Do you know the rules, love?”
    So Dreamboy can “post as fact” in his usual way that Rebecca Welch is “being rushed through the leagues”. There is quite possibly a good reason for it. The FA simply needs more female refs to operate its whole pyramid. Without more refs the games don’t happen.
    So whilst it can be argued that she hasn’t helped the cause with her performance yesterday, it’s also easy enough Dreamboy style to find plenty of complimentary reviews about her matches this season and pass them off as fact. The FA needs female refs and quickly, in large numbers.

JLWBigLil, Rosco and Redblueunwhite like this.
  9. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The standard of some of the officials in the World Cup was appalling and that’s meant to be the pinnacle. Premier league we get strange decisions. Over the years in the championship, league 1 and various cups we’ve had some awful officials. It’s mostly a shock when leaving a game and the refs haven’t been poor.

I berate plenty, particularly in the heat of the moment, but it’s certainly not an easy job. Definitely one that I wouldn’t want to take up.

10. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You know what’s caused the poor standard of refs. Play acting/cheating becoming common place in the game. It’s got to ridiculous levels, you have players asking for throw ins when they know full well it came off them just in the hope they might get a decision there way. It’s an impossible task now.